Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09 Release Information -ptII  (Read 104709 times)

Offline udovdh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Edirol R-09 Release Information -ptII
« Reply #255 on: August 24, 2006, 06:39:19 AM »
Hmm. The listing with the values is not very readable. How can I improve this?

Offline kuuan

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #256 on: August 24, 2006, 09:17:07 AM »
Hmm. The listing with the values is not very readable. How can I improve this?

to increase / decrease font size of the web page you are viewing:
keep ctrl pressed + turn the wheel of your mouse
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 03:31:01 AM by kuuan »
Everything you do through out the day, every thought and every feeling leaves an impression stored inside you.
These impressions create tendencies, their sum total is your character.
gear: SP-CMC8+AT853 cards+omnis, AT822>DIY preamp>iRiverH120rockboxed

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #257 on: August 24, 2006, 09:35:32 AM »
post a screencap from a spreadsheet, or text editor with fixed font width.

Offline twoheadedboy

• Taperssection Regular
  • Catching signals that sound in the dark....
« Reply #258 on: August 24, 2006, 10:31:02 AM »

you need to be at level 8

1->7 = attenuation
8->30 = gain

Relative to what?  0 is no level.  30 is max.  Everything in between is gain.....

Paul

Paul

Not according to what others have found...8 ~neutral, 1-7 is attenuation, 9-30 is gain.

Offline pgoelz

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #259 on: August 24, 2006, 11:46:57 AM »
"Unity" gain relative to what?  Are you looking at the signal after the "fader"?  Or are you referencing it against some sort of "standard level"? 
Paul Goelz
Rochester Hills, MI USA
Music, model helis and astronomy website:
www.pgoelz.com

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #260 on: August 24, 2006, 12:20:49 PM »
post a screencap from a spreadsheet, or text editor with fixed font width.

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #261 on: August 24, 2006, 12:25:40 PM »
I have read every post in this thread, but I am also not an engineer.

By the chart (not experience and performance), why are the numbers the best at the recording level of 8?  Not questioning, just trying to learn.

Thanks!

Offline tapeworm48

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm running a dojo of coolness...
« Reply #262 on: August 24, 2006, 01:17:40 PM »
i'd like to understand this better as well.  why is it best to run the R09 at a gain of 8?  i would think that whatever setting gets me the desired levels would be optimal.  is running above or below 8 going to negatively impact the dynamics of my recording?

By the chart (not experience and performance), why are the numbers the best at the recording level of 8?  Not questioning, just trying to learn.

Thanks!
A good friend will come bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn... We F**ked Up."

Schoeps MK4s / AT831s / DPA4061s
Nbox / Tinybox v1.5 / SPSB-11 / CSbox
M10 / R09 / D100

07/19 Pearl Jam @ Wrigley Field
08/01 QOTSA @ Metro
08/02 Lollapalooza (NIN / QOTSA / Thievery / Band of Horses)
08/15 QOTSA @ Red Rocks
09/23 Arctic Monkeys @ Riviera Theater
10/18 Pearl Jam @ Barclays
10/19 Pearl Jam @ Barclays
10/21 Pearl Jam @ Wells Fargo Center
10/22 Pearl Jam @ Wells Fargo Center
11/15 NIN @ Hard Rock
11/16 NIN @ Hard Rock
12/06 Pearl Jam @ Key Arena

Offline Rick

• Trade Count: (1)
    • My Recordings
« Reply #263 on: August 24, 2006, 01:25:09 PM »
i'd like to understand this better as well.  why is it best to run the R09 at a gain of 8?  i would think that whatever setting gets me the desired levels would be optimal.  is running above or below 8 going to negatively impact the dynamics of my recording?

Thanks!

Well it depends on whether you like your pre-amp or in this case the R09's pre-amp. Most people like their own pre-amp better then the internal R09 one. So assuming 8 is unity, you set the R09 at 8 so your not using (or using very little) of the R09 pre-amp. I have my R09 set at 8 and then control the levels using my Sax. 
Retired Taper

Offline SunWizard

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #264 on: August 24, 2006, 02:13:08 PM »

To understand this better, you are going through 2 gain stages, your pre has gain, and then the gain of the R-09.  If you are using an external pre with cleaner gain than the R-09, setting the R-09 fairly low would be the best, even a little below 8 if the pre remains clean even with the gain cranked up.  But many pre's self noise get much more noisy when cranked up, thats why you don't want to attenuate much on the R-09. 

Each pre is different, So the best measure would be to record sample files of the self noise of your pre+R-09 at different settings with equal level and compare.  The trick to setting equal level is to record a reference signal like a tone at 1khz and then set the combined gain so meter on the R-09 is -6db.  For example, pre=high, R-09=4.  Then do pre= medium, R-09=8, and pre=low, R-09=20, etc. That is what I did in this thread http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=69131.0 and then guysonic did it with the pre he sells.  You might be surprised to find that using only the pre in the R-09 by itself is as good or better (self noise wise) as compared to your external pre noise added to the R-09 line in noise.  That is if your mics output a high enough level like my AT-853 to be used with the mic-in low gain switch setting which is just as clean as the line-in.  The mic-high gain setting gets noisy quickly.

As discussed early in this thread, unity gain is a relative thing since 0 db is a different voltage level on different devices, different op-amps, impedances, etc.  Mainly what you want is a low setting on the R-09 where you have some headroom to adjust your gain comfortably with the controls on your pre (if it has a gain knob).  Each change of the R-09 setting when between 4-15 makes little difference in the self noise. 
AT853 (CMC-4)>3wire batt.box or SP box >Edirol R-09 or iRiver H120 or JB3
C4 > D-mod UA-5 >Edirol R-09 or iRiver H120 or JB3

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #265 on: August 24, 2006, 03:04:17 PM »
Can somebody post a picture of the OLED r09 level meters in action?

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #266 on: August 24, 2006, 03:11:01 PM »
Ok... hopefully this is not a dumb question.  With past recorders I've used my DSM6SMs into a PA-3SX preamp into the recorder.  Then I always use the pre to control the gain and just use the recorder to record without upping the gain.  However, with the R9 if I set gain at 0 it acts like the signal is muted.  I'm guessing I just need to set the R9 at 1 and all will be OK.  Anyone know the DB added for each step on the gain control?  I could be wrong but it does not seem to be 1:1.

The only 2 complaints so far are the battery door and the bright red recording light around the record button.  I may need to take a sharpie to it before I have to stealth for the first time.  Other than that this seems like a great unit.

Suggest best tact with PA-3SX is set preamplifier gain switch at highest not showing overload with R-09 LINE input REC level initially set at numbers #15-to#18 (about mid range).

Then make REC level adjustments (up-or-down) for best VU signal with headroom.

This is the method I found most correct with R-09 LINE input with external preamp capable of ~+0to +4 dBv maximum output.

If recording at 24bit depth, then VU peak levels can be lower than normal for 16 bit recording (more conservative for increased headroom) and have good resolution after post edit 'normalizing.'
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #267 on: August 24, 2006, 05:02:19 PM »
To understand this better, you are going through 2 gain stages, your pre has gain, and then the gain of the R-09.  If you are using an external pre with cleaner gain than the R-09, setting the R-09 fairly low would be the best, even a little below 8 if the pre remains clean even with the gain cranked up.  But many pre's self noise get much more noisy when cranked up, thats why you don't want to attenuate much on the R-09. 

Each pre is different, So the best measure would be to record sample files of the self noise of your pre+R-09 at different settings with equal level and compare.  The trick to setting equal level is to record a reference signal like a tone at 1khz and then set the combined gain so meter on the R-09 is -6db.  For example, pre=high, R-09=4.  Then do pre= medium, R-09=8, and pre=low, R-09=20, etc. That is what I did in this thread http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=69131.0 and then guysonic did it with the pre he sells.  You might be surprised to find that using only the pre in the R-09 by itself is as good or better (self noise wise) as compared to your external pre noise added to the R-09 line in noise.  That is if your mics output a high enough level like my AT-853 to be used with the mic-in low gain switch setting which is just as clean as the line-in.  The mic-high gain setting gets noisy quickly.

As discussed early in this thread, unity gain is a relative thing since 0 db is a different voltage level on different devices, different op-amps, impedances, etc.  Mainly what you want is a low setting on the R-09 where you have some headroom to adjust your gain comfortably with the controls on your pre (if it has a gain knob).  Each change of the R-09 setting when between 4-15 makes little difference in the self noise. 

Excellent explanation SW (+T).  I'll only add that it's probably best to avoid setting the input too low if the external preamp doesn't have a clipping indicator.  In that case the preamp could be driven into clipping trying to make up enough gain to counter the attenuation of a low setting on the R-09.  That was suspected as the problem someone was having earlier in the thread.  Also, if you're making gain adjustments on the R-09 while recording using a setting too close to '0' and you need to turn it down, you risk muting the input if you inadvertantly go from '1' to '0'.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline tapeworm48

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm running a dojo of coolness...
« Reply #268 on: August 24, 2006, 07:30:08 PM »
Well it depends on whether you like your pre-amp or in this case the R09's pre-amp. Most people like their own pre-amp better then the internal R09 one. So assuming 8 is unity, you set the R09 at 8 so your not using (or using very little) of the R09 pre-amp. I have my R09 set at 8 and then control the levels using my Sax. 

now that makes sense. thanks rick.  in my case, i am using a fixed gain pre (Nbox) so i have to rely on the R09 to set levels, whether it be around 8 or not.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn... We F**ked Up."

Schoeps MK4s / AT831s / DPA4061s
Nbox / Tinybox v1.5 / SPSB-11 / CSbox
M10 / R09 / D100

07/19 Pearl Jam @ Wrigley Field
08/01 QOTSA @ Metro
08/02 Lollapalooza (NIN / QOTSA / Thievery / Band of Horses)
08/15 QOTSA @ Red Rocks
09/23 Arctic Monkeys @ Riviera Theater
10/18 Pearl Jam @ Barclays
10/19 Pearl Jam @ Barclays
10/21 Pearl Jam @ Wells Fargo Center
10/22 Pearl Jam @ Wells Fargo Center
11/15 NIN @ Hard Rock
11/16 NIN @ Hard Rock
12/06 Pearl Jam @ Key Arena

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #269 on: August 24, 2006, 10:22:00 PM »
now that makes sense. thanks rick.  in my case, i am using a fixed gain pre (Nbox) so i have to rely on the R09 to set levels, whether it be around 8 or not.

Using the Schoeps VMS02ib, looks like I am in the same boat.... I may run a couple of shows splitting the signal out of the VMS (one to an R1 and one to the R09) and see if there is any differences.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com