Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Microphone techniques for baby grand piano?  (Read 32022 times)

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
Re: Microphone techniques for baby grand piano?
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2007, 04:58:17 PM »
Mr. Willett, which ones above would work better for studio work?

It depends on the studio, it depends on the piano and it depends on the music.

There are probably as many ways to mic. a piano as there are recording engineers.

You choose the technique and distance to match the the piano, music and venue.  Some need more close miking than others.

If you are recording several instruments at the same time you also need to get the balance right.

Underneath can work in many situations.  Boundary mics on the floor can work well, as can boundary mics on the lid.  Normal SDCs pointed at the lid and about 1mm away can work pretty well at imitating a boundary mic..

But it's really a matter of using your ears to hear what sounds best in the space - move around, closer and further away, and use what you hear to find the best place to put the mics.

There is no hard and fast rule and everyone has a different theory.

I hope this helps.

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2007, 08:21:19 PM »
Considering this recording is taking place in NOLAfishwaters friends house and not a studio, I wouldn't count on the space being the most acousticlly desirable room to record in....which is why I suggested close mic'ing, with some isolation coming form a sound blanket, and no room mics. But, that's just me and how I would first approach the recording. YMMV.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2007, 09:33:48 PM »
Considering this recording is taking place in NOLAfishwaters friends house and not a studio, I wouldn't count on the space being the most acousticlly desirable room to record in....which is why I suggested close mic'ing, with some isolation coming form a sound blanket, and no room mics. But, that's just me and how I would first approach the recording. YMMV.

Also, since it is a friends house, that should suggest that NOLA also has a few times to get it *right* for his friend........meaning that I doubt he has to get it professionally right within the first 5 mins he is at his friends house. I would chill there for 3-4 hrs at the least and try a bunch of diff options and bring along a GREAT pair of monitoring cans and you all should be happy in the end! Just listen closely on the cans and see what sounds best in the space available.........
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2007, 10:19:10 PM »
+T's for all of you. I will be trying all of the suggested techniques and will report back later this week. Planning on rolling over there on Wed. night. Don't know what the room is set up like b/c he just moved into his new place. Either way we will probably be knocking back a few drinks and taking our time.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2007, 10:46:26 PM »
+T's for all of you. I will be trying all of the suggested techniques and will report back later this week. Planning on rolling over there on Wed. night. Don't know what the room is set up like b/c he just moved into his new place. Either way we will probably be knocking back a few drinks and taking our time.

+T. That sounds like the best approach. and as long as both of you are happy, thats all that matters :)

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2007, 06:49:03 AM »
Since it's in a friend's house, it should be in a room that will make it sound OK.

I recorded a double-CD of Chopin Nocturnes a few years ago on a piano in a family home.

Listen carefully with your ears as the best place may not be what you expect.  In my case I used a 20cm pair of MKH 20s about 2 to 3 metres from the piano behind and a little to the right of the pianist.

We got this by listening and making a few short test recordings before deciding on the final position.

In retrospect, the room was a little too small for the 9' Steinway Concert Grand and a very small bit of reverb would have been ideal to open up the walls - but at the time good natural reverb units did not exist and I preferred to have it a little dry than sounding artificial.

I hope thsi helps.

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2007, 09:04:21 AM »
a lot of good suggestions here from john, rokpunk, and others, but here's something that i don't think was mentioned yet.

make sure the piano is tuned before recording (unless of course you are going for that "out-of-tune" feel ;) )

nothing like taking all that time to get the perfect setup only to find out the piano is out of tune.

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2007, 01:44:11 PM »

Also, since it is a friends house, that should suggest that NOLA also has a few times to get it *right* for his friend........meaning that I doubt he has to get it professionally right within the first 5 mins he is at his friends house. I would chill there for 3-4 hrs at the least and try a bunch of diff options and bring along a GREAT pair of monitoring cans and you all should be happy in the end! Just listen closely on the cans and see what sounds best in the space available.........

Bean makes a great point....and without one emote!!!!

:djsmilie: :drummer: :gun: :guitarist: :glob: :drool: :drummer: :drunk: :bigsmile: :bawling: :banging head: :coolguy: :flipa: :gun: :happy: :headphones:
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2007, 01:55:11 PM »
:lol:
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2007, 01:10:05 AM »
fockers ;D

there, are yinz happy now 8)

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2007, 07:21:05 AM »
..... make sure the piano is tuned before recording

Absolutely - When I record we always have a piano technician on site who checks the piano over. and tweaks if necessary, during each break.

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2007, 08:09:55 AM »
I did a show with Ramsey Lewis a few months back. I have never seen a pianist lay into a piano tuner as hard as Ramsey did. The tuner spent over two hours tuning, then Ramsey sat down, hit a couple of keys, and made the guy retune it, this time without his fancy computer piano tuning program. Ramsey had the best ear of any musician I have ever worked with. He and I walked the room together and tuned the PA together. I have to admit, it sounded better after he helped me tune the room. After he was happy with the room and PA sound, I hardly touched a fader the rest of the night. Good jazz players mix themselves with dynamics. His paino was mic'ed with a pair of Schoeps CMC6/MK4's.

Offline Tim

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2007, 10:12:12 AM »
That's a cool story. Ramsey is a legend
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2007, 04:37:45 PM »
A piano tuner friend of 20 years specializes in a custom 'classical' tuning not inside those tuning computers.  However he did find one of those that allowed him to program his brand of tuning into it a few years ago that helps get the instrument quickly 'in the ball park' with finish tuning done by ear.

While quite different from today's modern tuning, his classical tuning seems to work with most modern pieces including jazz.  Some musicians now demand this type of tuning as it makes playing more pleasurable and correct for what they feel represents the music more faithfully, a few musicians hate this tuning, so matter of personal 'learned' tastes. 

Very few piano tuners really know how to tune in one of many 'classical' ways correctly, and Ramsey might also have preferred a more 'classical' tuning for being far more musical, at least when one learns how to listen for the benefits. 

All the selections in the 'Paul Bailey collection' are ONLY done with piano carefully 'tuned' in custom non-modern manner at www.sonicstudios.com/mp3_2slp.htm#bailey

"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline MusicTech

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2007, 06:58:49 PM »
Hi.  I realize this is a bit out of date, but thought I would add it to the "archive."

I'm taking the Recording Arts program at Los Medanos College, and one of the instructors/engineers/producers (with several Grammys under his belt) showed us this arrangement a few weeks ago.  In addition to the mics in the photos, two mics were flown about 20' high toward the rear of the studio, one along each wall, pointed at the wall, to pick up ambient sound.  Made for interesting mix possibilities.

He also handed out the diagram in the second attachment to illustrate the micing for Herbie Hancock's album, "The Piano".  The mic underneath the piano would be out of phase with the others.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 11:59:11 PM by MusicTech »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com