Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-60D - 4 Channel recorder  (Read 111190 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Tascam DR-60D - 4 Channel recorder
« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2013, 07:52:48 AM »
So if I'm thinking of getting into SBD feeds this unit is a good choice? RCA's out of the board to line 3/4 stereo mini in? If that's the case I'm all over this.

From page one (Tom Duffy @ TASCAM):

Mic and Line level (-10dBV with 20dB headroom) compatible.  unbalanced because it's a stereo input.  This would be a great way to get audio from a wireless receiver into the DR-60D.

So, yes, you can run phantom power on 1 & 2 via XLR and then run RCA's out of the SBD > 1/8" via the stereo in.  I would assume 20dB headroom and -10dBV should be safe enough for even older boards.

Thanks, I saw that quote but was looking for a more direct answer as most of this stuff goes right over my head. :laugh: Power supply is my next concern. I'd rather not have to deal with 10 rechargeable AA's, so I'm guessing a 9V DVD battery would work? Also, 4 mics. I don't see why I couldn't run 2 into CH. 1&2 with phantom and two battery powered mics into CH. 3/4. I'm thinking a 4 mic Nak mix. 2 CM1000's and two CM700's with internal batteries would be nice.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 12:27:08 PM by ts »

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #76 on: June 24, 2013, 04:33:32 AM »
I'd rather not have to deal with 10 rechargeable AA's,
Ten?  It takes four.  So maybe eight for a spare set, but it should run on a decent battery pack with usb output (5v).

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #77 on: June 25, 2013, 09:51:53 AM »
I'd rather not have to deal with 10 rechargeable AA's,
Ten?  It takes four.  So maybe eight for a spare set, but it should run on a decent battery pack with usb output (5v).

I was adding the external battery pack. 4+6

Offline Stagger

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Yep I'm selling my 722-Wife always wins in the end
« Reply #78 on: June 27, 2013, 06:40:57 PM »
This was something I considered before going down the 680 path. All and all I'm glad I went with the 680. I'm getting more and more photography but I haven't been bit by the video bug to the point where I want my audio rig to be designed around my photo rig. Honestly I was wondering how I would get the thing to stay put in my bag. Neither this or the 680 is a SD or a diva but, even with some of the 680's issues, I have more confidence in it for concert taping.
Selling: SD 722
Current Setup: AKG c34 > S42 > Kimber Hero > DR-680

Nikon D7000, SB-700, Nikkor 18-200 f3.5-5.6, Nikkor 50 f1.8D, Sigma 10-20 f3.5, and way too many do-dads to list...

Playback: Denon DVD3910>Audio Experiences Symphonies Tube Pre [Electro-Harmonix/12AX7 Gold Pin ]>Rogue 88 Amplifier [Genalex Gold Lion KT88s, ultralinear]>Sonus Faber Grand Piano Home & Martin Logan Depth i - AudioQuest Jaguar and CV-8 DBS cable, Panamax M7500Pro conditioner.

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #79 on: August 09, 2013, 01:11:02 AM »
I just received my email from Markertek and they shared this video of the 60-D... maybe it's been posted here of everyone's already seen it, but here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAvQghQwUUs&feature=share&list=UU6If5myxm_Gb39PMW2hjMLw

--Ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

adrianf74

« Reply #80 on: December 12, 2013, 06:04:53 PM »
So, has anybody else got anything to report further on this deck?  Was considering picking up a pair of AKG Active PFA's and running P48 and I came back to this deck.  I know the R-26 is also a contender but not sure which route I want to go.

adrianf74

« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2013, 04:17:08 PM »
So, has anybody else got anything to report further on this deck?  Was considering picking up a pair of AKG Active PFA's and running P48 and I came back to this deck.  I know the R-26 is also a contender but not sure which route I want to go.

Never mind, folks.  I had a couple of PM's responded to from a couple of respected 60D owners and, combined with the price I was offered, it was a no-brainer.  It'll do what I need it do.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #82 on: January 15, 2014, 10:13:38 PM »
And, I know for a fact that any post on the Tascam facebook page that are complaints get deleted.  I know that for sure because it happened to me, and now I cannot even post on the Tascam FB page.
lol
Sounds like tascam is top notch to deal with
So, has anybody else got anything to report further on this deck?  Was considering picking up a pair of AKG Active PFA's and running P48
would love to hear these
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline willndmb

« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2014, 01:21:00 PM »
can anyone point me to some concert recording with one of these?
I assume the recordings are time coded and can be mixed fast and easy?
The slate feature seems kick ass for my video stuff too
thanks
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)

adrianf74

« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2014, 02:11:57 PM »
can anyone point me to some concert recording with one of these?
I assume the recordings are time coded and can be mixed fast and easy?
The slate feature seems kick ass for my video stuff too
thanks

I would've but mine's been sitting in a box since December when I picked it up and it'll be god knows how long before I use it.

I know Teddy did a show or two with one.  And I think a couple of other people have as well.   Having clock sync for P48 and 1/8" is great for matrices.  :)

Offline willndmb

« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2014, 10:13:11 PM »
Thanks
Found a few busman samples on archive and they sound good
The two things I am worried about are the battery life, which can be "fixed" and the gain knobs clicking
There are YouTube videos where you can clearly hear the clicks as gain is adjusted

adrianf74

« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2014, 12:43:40 AM »
I'm not 100% positive but I think the clicking is "less noticeable" since the last firmware update but I can't be 100% certain on that. 

As for battery life, I picked up an 11000mAh USB battery and have tested it with the device (and a DR-2D with USB > 5V cable) and can confirm that it powers it just fine.  I can't say for how long but I'm sure that would give me more than enough "extra time" for a festy situation.  I won't know until I get to one of those in June (depending on everything else going on -- bracing for bad news).

I think for the price point that it's a good little device.  Not perfect but also not $429 like, or as heavy as, the 680.   I needed P48/XLR and 1/8" and this gave me that in a pretty small, lighweight box.

Offline willndmb

« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2014, 02:00:51 PM »
Thanks for the info
I think this would be a nice way to make my video projects easier and allow me to have one box vs two m10
I could always do a comp too buy running mics > little box > RCA out and 1/8 out at the same time, m10/dr60d

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2014, 01:40:17 PM »
Are you currently running audio out of M10's into a camera? I'm wondering whether to run an attenuator cable out of the m10 into my camera, but aren't sure what level of attenuation is needed?

The 60D seems to solve this by offering an adjustable level out to the camera. 

What's the benefit of running audio into the camera directly as opposed to letting the camera record the room and then syncing the audio recorder and the camera audio later?

For existing 60d users, any comments on how well the 60d appears to hold sync with your camera?

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #89 on: February 13, 2014, 01:47:07 PM »
Are you currently running audio out of M10's into a camera? I'm wondering whether to run an attenuator cable out of the m10 into my camera, but aren't sure what level of attenuation is needed?

The 60D seems to solve this by offering an adjustable level out to the camera. 

What's the benefit of running audio into the camera directly as opposed to letting the camera record the room and then syncing the audio recorder and the camera audio later?

For existing 60d users, any comments on how well the 60d appears to hold sync with your camera?

Clock drift. Without genlock or wordclock to sync the two devices, over time the slight difference in timing crystal frequency will cause the two sources to vary. by recording into the camera directly, you avoid this issue. (one reason why the DR60 allows you to mix xlr and line inputs before outputing unbalanced signal.)

Clock drift can be corrected for but it's a pain in the ass on longer recordings. How to do so has been covered here in the forums.
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.12 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com