Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Favorite 4 channel deck under $700  (Read 10524 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Favorite 4 channel deck under $700
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 05:43:50 PM »
Hey Murf.  I can't find any justification to move away from the DR-680MK2 and remain totally content with it except when I wish for more than 6 analog inputs.  Menu system of the MK2 is much improved making it easier and faster to navigate than the older MK1 version.  Can pretty much use any decent SD card.  Not as small as some of the more recent options, but a strong value point. I really like my old OCM R44 but rarely use it much any more because I pretty much always use the DR-680MK2.

The 680's primary feature for which I can't find an equivalent in any other deck is the super-easy channel linking, which lets one adjust the gain of all recorded channels simultaneously using a single knob.  That feature alone makes it worthwhile.  Yes SD can link 4 channels on a few of their machines, but AFAIK cannot do so rapidly and easily with just two button presses.  So if you need to un-link to tweak just one channel then re-link them all for single-knob level adjustment, doing so is easy and straight forward.

It also has digital in/out if that's important to you.

It's weakest feature is the metering, which is not detailed but is sufficient to get the job done with good recorded levels, so it doesn't bother me much.  I imagine it would bug others though.

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2018, 05:53:30 PM »
The 680's primary feature for which I can't find an equivalent in any other deck is the super-easy channel linking, which lets one adjust the gain of all recorded channels simultaneously using a single knob. 

This is really easy to do on both the Zoom F4 and F8.  With the latest firmware it even happens automatically when set to ambisonic mode (not that that's relevant to many people on here).
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline Chomps

• Trade Count: (18)
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2018, 06:12:27 PM »
For what you can get an R44 these days nothing matches for the price. Plus they are built rock solid and never have any issue.
Microtech Gefell m200/M20/M21/nBob Actives>PFA
Microtech Gefell m950
AKG 414 XLII
Telefunken M60/M61/M62
AT853
SD MP 10ii//Edirol R-44/Sony M10

Offline heathen

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2018, 06:41:14 PM »
Bottom line is you're basically spoiled for choice.  Also with the slow pace things are selling in the YS you can probably get a good deal.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2018, 06:58:24 PM »
A buddy sold his mixpre3 recently. Said it was hyped up being the new kid on the block with lots of bells and whistles but the pre wasn't much better than an m10.

What mics was he using for his comparison?

The pre on the micpre3 and mixpre6 is not hype.

This is  comparing apples and oranges. A setup using an M10 would most likely be using an external PRE or battery box and an unbalanced connection. To get the advanatges of a Mixpre's PREs you would really need to be using microphone in using a balanced connection. I don't see that a 788 would "live up the hype" either under this scenario...
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2018, 07:17:59 PM »
Agreed that R44 is probably the simplest of all these to operate, and a super reliable recorder.  For 4 channels, simple, easy, and reliable its hard to beat.

The 680's primary feature for which I can't find an equivalent in any other deck is the super-easy channel linking, which lets one adjust the gain of all recorded channels simultaneously using a single knob. 

This is really easy to do on both the Zoom F4 and F8.  With the latest firmware it even happens automatically when set to ambisonic mode (not that that's relevant to many people on here).

I may ask you about this elsewhere, don't want to muddy this thread.  Does it provide- Easy and immediate control over which channels are linked and which aren't with visual feedback indicating that, the ability to link multiple stereo pairs separately from each other, and the ability to link all recording channels?   I don't really want it to happen automatically, only when I choose to turn it on and off while recording.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2018, 07:38:41 PM »
I'll third with the R-44.  I ran one for years and years and it was absolutely rock solid.
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline heathen

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2018, 10:30:52 PM »

I may ask you about this elsewhere, don't want to muddy this thread.  Does it provide- Easy and immediate control over which channels are linked and which aren't with visual feedback indicating that, the ability to link multiple stereo pairs separately from each other, and the ability to link all recording channels?   I don't really want it to happen automatically, only when I choose to turn it on and off while recording.

With the latest firmware, when you set it to ambisonic mode it automatically links the gain of channels 1-4 and records to the ambisonic format of your choice (this applies to the F8...I haven't used the F4 in ambisonic mode).  Channels 5-8 can be used as normal, with the ability to trim link any combination of those channels.  In non-ambisonic mode, you can link the gain of any combination of channels, in multiple groups.  It's all really easy...to get to ambisonic mode you press the menu button, select input, then ambisonic mode...to get to trim link you press the menu button, select input, then go to trim link.  Check out page 94 here https://www.zoom-na.com/sites/default/files/products/downloads/pdfs/E_F8_v3_0.pdf and page 2 here https://www.zoom-na.com/sites/default/files/products/downloads/pdfs/E_F8v4.1.pdf

I'm happy to discuss this in more detail elsewhere if you'd like.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2018, 09:31:19 AM »
^
Looks like it can do it after all.  Very good to know, thanks.. as that's been one sticking point for me in trying out the F8.  Requires a bit more navigation but not too bad.  Thanks for those links!  If had the ability to output all channels individually, which is my only remaining problem with it, I'd certainly move to the F8.  But that won't affect most users here at TS.

In the channel linking section (p.94) it has the following note-

"• The input levels of tracks that have a mic capsule connected will
not be linked even if those tracks are put into groups."

Can you clarify that for me? Is that talking about the Zoom mics which plug into the special port?

Offline rippleish20

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2018, 09:42:53 AM »

If had the ability to output all channels individually, which is my only remaining problem with it, I'd certainly move to the F8.   

Explain what you mean by this
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2018, 10:17:29 AM »
You can not output each channel individually.  It provides a 2-ch main bus output and 2-ch sub bus out (4 channels) plus the headphone out.   I require all 8 channels (doesn't need to be balanced, RCAs or a single sub-D connector would be fine).

Offline heathen

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2018, 10:47:14 AM »
^
Looks like it can do it after all.  Very good to know, thanks.. as that's been one sticking point for me in trying out the F8.  Requires a bit more navigation but not too bad.  Thanks for those links!  If had the ability to output all channels individually, which is my only remaining problem with it, I'd certainly move to the F8.  But that won't affect most users here at TS.

Can any of the recorders used in these parts do that?

In the channel linking section (p.94) it has the following note-

"• The input levels of tracks that have a mic capsule connected will
not be linked even if those tracks are put into groups."

Can you clarify that for me? Is that talking about the Zoom mics which plug into the special port?

I think that is talking about the spot on the back for connecting one of the Zoom mic modules, because it doesn't seem to be an issue for me when putting any of the other channels into groups.  I haven't used (and likely never will use) one of the Zoom mic modules.

Offline rippleish20

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2018, 10:58:20 AM »
You can not output each channel individually.  It provides a 2-ch main bus output and 2-ch sub bus out (4 channels) plus the headphone out.   I require all 8 channels (doesn't need to be balanced, RCAs or a single sub-D connector would be fine).

You can output each channel individually one at a time but, no, you can't get all eight channels individually at once. I think even the USB audio interface is only four out.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2018, 11:21:44 AM »
Surprised at the USB interface restriction to only 4 channels out, wasn't aware of that.

If it had the ability to output all channels individually, which is my only remaining problem with it, I'd certainly move to the F8.  But that won't affect most users here at TS.

Can any of the recorders used in these parts do that?

Sure, R44, R88, DR-680 all provide individual outputs for each analog input.  R44 and DR-680 unbalanced via RCAs, R88 balanced via 8 XLRs. 

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 45 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com