Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Any digicams comparable to Panasonic fz200 (f2.8) released recently?  (Read 4258 times)

Offline davepeck

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Taperssection All-Star
I had a Panasonic fz200 for a while and loved it, but ended up selling it because it wasn't being used much.

Thinking about picking up another digicam this summer and wondering if there's been anything comparable released lately, as this camera is now about a year and a half old. The big zoom with f2.8 aperture throughout is what's most attractive to me, but looking around, I haven't been able to find anything similar released since then.

Anyone know of anything? If not, I may just pick up another one of these.
Telefunken M60 + TK60 / TK61 / TK62 > Tascam DR-70D

Audio | Video | Photo

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Any digicams comparable to Panasonic fz200 (f2.8) released recently?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 11:45:39 AM »
The constant f2.8 zoom is not something you typically find.  One thing I don't like about my Panasonic G6 is the aperture steps down when I zoom in..... 

Offline fguidry

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Kaleponi - Slack Key in California
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 02:37:56 PM »
I had a Panasonic fz200 for a while and loved it, but ended up selling it because it wasn't being used much.

Thinking about picking up another digicam this summer and wondering if there's been anything comparable released lately, as this camera is now about a year and a half old. The big zoom with f2.8 aperture throughout is what's most attractive to me, but looking around, I haven't been able to find anything similar released since then.

Anyone know of anything? If not, I may just pick up another one of these.

Substantially more expensive but the Sony RX10 has gotten a lot of attention in the photo/video forums I visit.

Fran

Offline fguidry

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Kaleponi - Slack Key in California
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 02:40:36 PM »
The constant f2.8 zoom is not something you typically find.  One thing I don't like about my Panasonic G6 is the aperture steps down when I zoom in.....

Since the G6 is an interchangeable lens camera the solution is to find a zoom lens with constant aperture, right? In a cruel twist of fate, such lenses cost more than the G6.

Fran

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 03:45:58 PM »
Yes, and what is interesting about the fz200 is that it has a relatively large aperture, a good size zoom and the aperture is fixed throughout the range of the zoom at a price level below what this would cost on an interchangeable lens camera. That makes the fz200 a tough competitor to beat.

Offline davepeck

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 06:17:47 PM »
Thanks all. Yeah, I was kind of hoping/figuring that being this far since the fz200's initial release there would be some cameras that followed its lead. That Sony looks nice but obviously way more expensive. I'll probably just pick up a used fz200 then.
Telefunken M60 + TK60 / TK61 / TK62 > Tascam DR-70D

Audio | Video | Photo

Offline tree

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
I just got Panasonics ZS40 recently and Im loving it for a point and shoot that also has HD

I also love the remote app I use with my cell phone, its so much easier to stealth

I also have an X920P for full size, which also runs on the app as well

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • it's recreational
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 08:39:48 AM »
Over on DPReview they did a first impressions review of the new Panny FZ1000.  The sensor is over 4 times larger than the FZ200 and they suspect it uses the same sensor as the Sony RX10.  At $900 it's not cheap but still quite a bit less than the RX10.  The chart that shows equivalent apertures w/ other cameras in respect to sensor size shows that the fz200 is really hurt by it's small sensor even w/ its 2.8 lens.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com