Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: The cable cooker!  (Read 8451 times)

Offline Daryan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: The cable cooker!
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2006, 10:23:00 AM »
Cable burn in or component burn in is very audible imho.  I would spend 600 bucks to do it, but I can see some whom would get enough use out of it to justify it's cost.  My attitude about all of this stuff is basically don't knock it till you try it, you might be surprised.
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

cshepherd

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2006, 02:00:25 PM »
OK, I admit it...I want one.  Seriously, if you have a tube system that can't be left on 24/7, it could take several weeks to burn in new cables or interconnects with 2-3 hour listening sessions. 

I have been burning in a lot of new cables lately.  You can hear changes thoughout the first hour of playback.  Beyond that, changes at the 24 hour mark and 48 hour mark are pretty noticeable. 

I agree with BackToZero.  Most peeps would rather make fun of something simple done to improve sound rather than try it out for themselves to see if it works or not.

Chris

RebelRebel

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2006, 02:05:51 PM »
Hey Chris...I agree with the burn in idea, as ive heard it myself..., but you have to admit that some of that info out there is nonsense...",magic rocks" "magic chip" "tube o lator lacquer" ...any person with any amount of common sense can pick the wheat from the chaff with those guys...a lot of "audiophiles" are being taken for a ride by these pimps who push this audio snake oil....Though you dont, and I admire that. A lot of those "magic bullets" have no foundation in science or otherwise.

OK, I admit it...I want one.  Seriously, if you have a tube system that can't be left on 24/7, it could take several weeks to burn in new cables or interconnects with 2-3 hour listening sessions. 

I have been burning in a lot of new cables lately.  You can hear changes thoughout the first hour of playback.  Beyond that, changes at the 24 hour mark and 48 hour mark are pretty noticeable. 

I agree with BackToZero.  Most peeps would rather make fun of something simple done to improve sound rather than try it out for themselves to see if it works or not.

Chris

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2006, 04:44:11 PM »
a lot of "audiophiles" are being taken for a ride by these pimps who push this audio snake oil....

Known in the industry as "audiofools".
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline shruggy1987

• Taperssection Member
  • Team Ithaca
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2006, 05:11:47 PM »
Bluth Family Cornballer!
SP LSD2 > bm2 UA-5 (coax out) > M-Audio Microtrack
SP LSD2 > bm2 UA-5 > MacBook Pro

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2006, 08:06:00 PM »
I would spend 600 bucks to do it, but I can see some whom would get enough use out of it to justify it's cost.

here is a cable cooker for $10 plus shipping. http://cgi.ebay.com/Pioneer-SX-680-AM-FM-Stereo-Reciever_W0QQitemZ5873702900QQcategoryZ50596QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

1) put your ICs between the tape loop out and the aux input
2) power on
3) select tuner
4) come back in 3 weeks
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

cshepherd

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2006, 11:12:12 PM »
a lot of "audiophiles" are being taken for a ride by these pimps who push this audio snake oil....

Known in the industry as "audiofools".

You must be talking about the "Pro" audio industry.    :P

Chris

cshepherd

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2006, 12:31:45 AM »
Hey Chris...I agree with the burn in idea, as ive heard it myself..., but you have to admit that some of that info out there is nonsense...",magic rocks" "magic chip" "tube o lator lacquer" ...any person with any amount of common sense can pick the wheat from the chaff with those guys...a lot of "audiophiles" are being taken for a ride by these pimps who push this audio snake oil....Though you dont, and I admire that. A lot of those "magic bullets" have no foundation in science or otherwise.

I'm not sure pimps is really the right word...Have you ever been to CES?  It's easy to laugh at some of this stuff, but you never know until you try it.  Somebody went through a lot of effort to get their 'Tube-o-lator laquer' idea out to the world.  It doesn't exactly strike me as a 'get rich quick' scheme.  Of course, no way would I bust open my player and swab a bunch of goo onto the ad converters.  Maybe its geared for the dumpster divers at audiogon who don't have warranties to deal with. 

I think audio is far from being a cut and dry subject.  The Quantum Resonance Technology products in my sig are way out there.  Their Symphony Pro simply gets plugged in and a blue light comes on.  Nothing gets plugged into it, yet they claim it effects electron movements in every piece of electronics within a 1500 sq. ft. area.  Their explanation is that by controlling the flow of electrons...making them more orderly and less chaotic...sonic benefits will be gained in audio, and greater depth and color saturation will be gained in video.  You should have seen us try to get our friends who own the PA at the McDonald Theatre to try this stuff.  I still laugh thinking about it.  It's a phenomenal product though.  And in the end, they're missing out because they can't figure out how it works.

But I must say, Thanks for not lumping me in with the pimps and hustlers.
Chris

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2006, 09:54:28 AM »
After Chris pointed me in the direction of the quantum stuff, it sounds really interesting to say the least, and for 299 to treat my whole condo, well, it is worth the leap of faith.  Some people swear the jar of rocks works, and even better that that ridiculous timex modified clock deal works too.  It just takes a little common sense to see through the bullshit, and probably a leap of faith as well.  For instance, let's take contact enhancer.  I bought a little jar of silclear for 40 bucks or so basically thinking at worst it was 40 bucks, and at best it would do something.  Well, I was almost shocked at the very audible change in my system for the better.  I now swear by the stuff.  So who knows, maybe the box of rocks, the shitty little clock, or some other tweak that cannot be explained works.  If I had a million bucks, I would give them all a try!  You say copper, I say silver...

D~

I think I need a new name on here, any suggestions?
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.145 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com