Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recording with iOS devices  (Read 12123 times)

smokenburn

• Trade Count: (0)
Recording with iOS devices
« on: January 20, 2017, 09:50:04 PM »
People have asked I start a thread regarding recording with an iPhone.

Some may think there may be issues, but It's not as scary as it seems.  One good thing is you can adjust the settings so you have to hold down 'stop' for 3 seconds to stop recording, so you don't worry as much about pressing a tiny record button twice putting the recorder back in the bag.  I'm using an Apogee Duet (iOS) interface which has very good preamps and DAC in one box.  You would need to power that Duet with external power such as a Lenmar DVD battery.  All the converting is performed in the Apogee Duet and the iPhone is essentially a bit bucket and DAW.  The breakout cables are kind of a pita in the field or even used on a desk, but it's ok.  You can purchase a breakout box which may make sense in the field but I haven't used one.  Recently I've been using a Sonosax SX-M2 into the Duet (line level) and just using the Duet's converters.  I like it.  Apogee Metarecorder is a basic free software for iPhone and I use Auria for iPad.

Offline intpseeker

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • In music the passions enjoy themselves
Re: Recording with iOS devices
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 09:56:37 PM »
Forgive my ignorance , but what do you do for storage?
Mics:        Akg 451 eb A51's, ck-1's, ck-2's, ck 8's
                Peluso CEMC6 MK2, MK4, MK21, MK41
                AKG 391
                CA-11 cards and omnis
Pre:          ST-9100
Cables:     XTC Silvers, DT47-12's
Recorders: ACM PMD660
                 Busman modded R-4
                 PCM-M10
                 DR-70D
                 Church modded R-09 micsketeer
“One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain” - Bob Marley

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 10:42:35 PM »
I think all the Behringer mixers support iOS recording via USB - not sure about the phone though.

Offline adrianb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 12:19:50 PM »
Most of my stealth recordings are now done using an old iPhone 4s with 64GB of memory, and the Tascam iXJ2 IOS line-in device. It's a doddle to stealth basically.

I have some direct comparisons of using the iXJ2 and iPhone with the Sony PCM-M10 here:

https://soundcloud.com/quisquose/stealth-concert-recording-sony-pcm-m10-versus-iphone-tascam-ixj2-1
https://soundcloud.com/quisquose/stealth-concert-recording-sony-pcm-m10-versus-iphone-tascam-ixj2-ver-2

I'm looking to buy a proper XLR microphone soon, and when I do I will do some comparisons of wildlife recordings using my Sony PCM-D100 and the iPhone.

Mics: Sennheiser MKH 8040, Sennheiser MKH 8020, AT BP4025, AT 853 cards, CA CAFS, CA 14 Omnis, CA 11 (Cards + Omnis), Soundman OKM II Classic
Battery Boxes: Sony XLR-1, CA 9200 Preamp, CA Ugly 2 Preamp, CA Ugly BB, Shure FP24
Recorders: Sound Devices MP3, Sony PCM-D100, Sony PCM-D50, Sony PCM-M10, Sony PCM-D10, Roland R-07, Tascam iXJ2

smokenburn

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 01:20:02 PM »
Forgive my ignorance , but what do you do for storage?

The iPhone 6s has 64GB's storage.  The iPad 3 only has 16 GB's which sucks.  Considering 16GB's really means 12 and you have some apps that take up HD space you will need to transfer your files to an external drive frequently.  Also, with Auria/iPad if you are within about 1GB storage remaining the software will pause and ask if you want to continue.  So make sure you have 1-2GB's to spare minimum.

Also, you should set your iOS device to "Airplane Mode".

The Apogee Duet will charge the iOS device so you only need external power for the Duet.

I will post some pictures of the rig soon.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 01:28:01 PM by smokenburn »

Offline colargol

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 01:56:54 AM »
Most of my stealth recordings are now done using an old iPhone 4s with 64GB of memory, and the Tascam iXJ2 IOS line-in device. It's a doddle to stealth basically.

Are there any newer alternatives available, since the IXJ2 is unavailable and outdated? Would be fun to try it out...
MK4s/MK41s > nbob actives > tinybox/babynbox > M10/A10

Offline adrianb

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 05:26:31 AM »

Are there any newer alternatives available, since the IXJ2 is unavailable and outdated? Would be fun to try it out...

Not really anything as useful currently. But the iXJ2 is still easily available on eBay. I think I paid £28 for mine, so about $35. You can use it with a newer iPhone/iPod with an adapter but I prefer to use my old 4s, it's got 64gb it's smaller and the battery life is actually better than my 6s. I keep my 4s with no apps other than the Rode Rec App on it.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 05:49:57 AM by adrianb »
Mics: Sennheiser MKH 8040, Sennheiser MKH 8020, AT BP4025, AT 853 cards, CA CAFS, CA 14 Omnis, CA 11 (Cards + Omnis), Soundman OKM II Classic
Battery Boxes: Sony XLR-1, CA 9200 Preamp, CA Ugly 2 Preamp, CA Ugly BB, Shure FP24
Recorders: Sound Devices MP3, Sony PCM-D100, Sony PCM-D50, Sony PCM-M10, Sony PCM-D10, Roland R-07, Tascam iXJ2

smokenburn

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 10:15:11 AM »

I have one for sale.  Never used.

Offline HealthCov Chris

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
    • InsideOut Recording & Promotions
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 09:00:15 PM »
I have the IXJ2 on iPhone 4 as well.  I bought it new for $19 about 8 months ago.  I've only used it a handful of times and not recently because I have a Tascam dr2d, but it was fine with CA-14.  I prefer the Rode recorder app over the Tascam app.  Its best use is for a quick soundboard patch when your main rig is too far from the board.  I have a cheap usb battery pack that I keep hooked up the the iPhone during use.  Super simple and probably easy to stealth with, though I don't stealth.  Just remember its all kind of plastic, so I would possibly be concerned about the structural integrity of the 32 pin connection to the phone when in a pocket stealthing in a crowd.  Though I have no knowledge of any structural problems. 
LMA: https://archive.org/details/@corfit
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/insideoutrecording
Mics: AKG ck61/ck63 (nBob actives, Naiant PFA) | AKG 568 | CA-14 omni | Studio Projects B3
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6 | Zoom F3 | Roland R-07
Camera: GoPro Hero 4 Silver

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2017, 05:18:26 PM »
This thread seems like a reasonable place for my really desperate inquiry.  I just received the new DPA MMA-A but am having trouble with finding iOS recording apps to run it on my cell phone.  AudioShare does not seem to do seamless file auto splits, but runs to 4 GB and then can't save the file, stops and posts an error message.  I also can't get it to run at 96 kH, it reverts to the default 48 kH.  Does anyone know of any iOS app for the iPhone 6S which will split files and keep recording, and hopefully do 96 kH with the new DPA device?

Jeff

Offline b_curl

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2017, 07:14:21 PM »
I've used my Sound Devices Mixd Pre-D with my iphone using the digital out and the Apple camera cord. Recording into the Rode app.  I haven't tested it extensively but it was working for me.

But i think a cheap Android device is the way to go. Cheaper and most have room for a MicroSD card.

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2017, 10:42:20 PM »
Android devices can't power a DPA MMA-A.  The aim here is reduced footprint.  A Mix Pre is way huger than an MMA-6000 and Sony D50 that I was using earlier.

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2017, 07:58:16 AM »
I use the Rode rec app.It only goes up to 48k though.Also I have only recorded short files so not sure about file breaks.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2017, 09:52:29 AM »
What is the fascination with recording at 96 kHz? I suspect most are perfectly happy at 48 kHz, 24 bits.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2017, 01:27:20 PM »
What is the fascination with recording at 96 kHz? I suspect most are perfectly happy at 48 kHz, 24 bits.

I use iZotope Rx to edit out audience noises, coughs, other distractions like sirens and buzzing and stomping conductors.  The extra resolution seems to help with this surgery.  Some friends with high end hifi setups also say they can hear the difference on raw files, I can't say I do.

By the way, DPA emailed me this morning to try Voice Recorder Pro, I downloaded Voice Recorder Pro 7 which promises unlimited time recording.  It certainly enables the 24 bit 96 kH recording with the MMA-A.  I am waiting to see if it does seamless file splits, if so I am good to go.  It also enables wifi file transfer with your computer, as does AudioShare.

Jeff

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com