Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Shinola  (Read 11057 times)

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't sweat the technique
Re: Shinola
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2017, 08:57:58 AM »
Fremer wrote a review of this turntable. Reading between the lines, it has a ways to go before it can be considered a finished product. I wonder if Shinola picked that up from VPI as well.

That company straight sucks. Overpriced, mediocre garbage. It's trying to build a "heritage" where none existed. The owners bought Filson, which is a tragedy, because Filson actually has some nice stuff. They are a couple of venture capitalists whose focus is creating quality "brands" instead of products. I'm not in the least interested in their brand. Can they produce a turntable that offers value to the customer? Judging from Fremer's review, the answer is a resounding no.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2017, 06:31:08 PM »
Didn't mean any offense, 108, but other than some articles about the company and how nice the table looks, I haven't come across any reviews about how well it actually, y'know, sounds and reproduces music. :)  Honest inquiry as $2000 is a sizable investment.

Totally not offended, and sorry if it came off that way.
I was born in NYC, and tend to be brusk, and thick-skinned.  (thick-headed, too?!)

I really like the numbers, and as I've always said, listen to and enjoy what your ears find pleasing.
My theory is keep it clean and neutral and my brain will adjust best.
I would be the first to agree that "one size does not fit all" with most things audio.
Of course, cryro cables and other deep-end stuff does leave me shaking me head at the absurdity and big lack of science.
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline detroit lightning

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2017, 06:40:21 PM »
At the very least, shinola is selling their "brand" with this.  Why pay that mark up for something that they're not even behind?

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2017, 08:23:45 PM »
I guess most of their marks don't know shit from Shinola..
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2017, 12:12:12 AM »
I think folks are being too hard on Shinola. I don't know the micro details but, in regards to the macro, I like what they are doing. They've done more for Detroit than most and they are not putting out crap, banging gangs or selling heroin.

As for their table, for what it is, it is a good all in one product. Guess what. VPI doesn't make their product either. Most of the actual manufacturing is sourced out. Their employees assemble the tables. I know, at least they design them. Well, remember, in the beginning they didn't design either but rather used mostly OEM parts. That's not to say that is what Shinola is going to do but there is nothing wrong with that. VPI never did and never will make their motors. Hurst does. But then again most companies don't make motors. They buy stock, off the shelf motors.

Many tables you see are actually OEM parts sourced out. Many arms were or are made by Jelco. Many tables are OEM ProJect parts. Would you rather have this done over seas or here in the states, with actual quality placed on it, jobs made and taxes collected.

Ask Detroit whether they like Shinola. I think the answer is obvious.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 12:22:35 AM by raymonda »

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2017, 04:29:10 AM »
I always get a kick out of people defending companies?  Why?  You love that they exploit a city's name with shitty, overpriced bullshit?

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2017, 07:31:17 AM »
I always get a kick out of people defending companies?  Why?  You love that they exploit a city's name with shitty, overpriced bullshit?

Break down the turntable and explain how it is a shitty product and over price bullshit. I just don't see it and I'll call a spade a spade when I see it.

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2017, 08:45:18 AM »
I was speaking in more general terms, not just the turntable.  Seriously, look through their website and try not to laugh.

Still don't see how buying a faux luxury brand's first attempt at a product is going to be the best product at whatever price point it's being sold at.

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2017, 09:41:48 AM »
(Still don't see how buying a faux luxury brand's first attempt at a product is going to be the best product at whatever price point it's being sold at.)

Luxury brand is relative. Their prices are on the extremely low, low end of the cost of a luxury item. I've looked at their products and I don't find their prices to be out of line. Waterford is a U.S. based company that makes top of the line steel bike frame, with a long wait time. They are their OEM manufacturer for their bikes. That is top quality and Shinola prices their product accordingly and some would say on the low side. Again, the same goes for their turntable. They use very good OEM manufacturers for parts. They same can't be said for many other labels out there.

To disparage them whole cloth because you don't like their branding or business model compromises your argument and lends one to conclude that you don't know shit from Shinola. Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2017, 10:13:14 AM »
(Still don't see how buying a faux luxury brand's first attempt at a product is going to be the best product at whatever price point it's being sold at.)

Luxury brand is relative. Their prices are on the extremely low, low end of the cost of a luxury item. I've looked at their products and I don't find their prices to be out of line. Waterford is a U.S. based company that makes top of the line steel bike frame, with a long wait time. They are their OEM manufacturer for their bikes. That is top quality and Shinola prices their product accordingly and some would say on the low side. Again, the same goes for their turntable. They use very good OEM manufacturers for parts. They same can't be said for many other labels out there.

To disparage them whole cloth because you don't like their branding or business model compromises your argument and lends one to conclude that you don't know shit from Shinola. Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Enjoy your $185 extension cord, I guess.

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2017, 11:12:33 AM »

Enjoy your $185 extension cord, I guess.

+T
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2017, 12:16:09 PM »
Whether you would buy it, you can't deny that it is made with quality. I've seen much more outrageous things in audio. This ain't one of them.

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2017, 12:50:32 PM »
(Enjoy your $185 extension cord, I guess.)

The basic extension cord is $75.00 not $185.00

The $185 is a 6 outlet with 2 usb hubs, which is not an extention cord. (Never let the truth get in the way of a good story) Anyway, everything looks to be of decent to very good quality. DIY would cost at least $45 to $90 plus time. That's not much of a mark up. I guess you could go to Lowes and buys one made in China for $25.00 and of much less quality

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2017, 05:47:57 PM »
I'm all for supporting U.S.-made products, and do so as often as I can, but has anyone come across an in-depth review of their turntable that cites hard, real-world measurements? 
If I were to drop $2k+ on a TT, I'd probably be more apt to spend it on one of raymonda's gorgeous builds.

Also, I love my Ortofon Blue cartridge, but a TT that's $2500 with one is some hipster bullshit. 2nd on Raymonda.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2017, 08:52:26 PM »
Gosh guys. Thanks for the nice compliment.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.266 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com