Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: So, anyone using the core-sound pda recorder yet?  (Read 10588 times)

Offline EA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
So, anyone using the core-sound pda recorder yet?
« on: September 30, 2003, 06:27:20 PM »
Looks like all the stuff is now shipping. Just curious if anyone is actually using it all yet? The Sound Devices hd recorder is the way I'm headed. But I'd still be interested in how the PDA thing is working out for people.
Why is there no boxing in the special olympics?

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • god-damned hippies!
Re:So, anyone using the core-sound pda recorder yet?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2003, 08:11:10 PM »
Craig T is testing it...

Offline EkoostikMace

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Holy Crap! Now that's a dragon!
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2003, 11:06:10 PM »
Excellent...
See Trogdor's birth HERE -:|:- Play the Trogdor game HERE

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2003, 09:16:52 AM »
http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?board=23;action=display;threadid=6246;start=0

I've had to take a break from testing the PDA, but should have some time next week to spend some time tweaking the performance of my iPaq 3835.  Right now I can't reliably record 24bit to the 5GB pcmcia drive, but 16/44.1 & 16/48 appear ok.  I'll continue to post details on that original thread (see link above).
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline EA

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2003, 08:55:31 PM »
Just read through that thread. Wow, it's certainly not a turn key set up. Sounds like a lot of work. Keep us posted on how things go though. It's interesting stuff
Why is there no boxing in the special olympics?

DaryanLenz

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2003, 09:25:05 PM »
One thing they could do is to have everything on hand to sell as a package.  One thing that looks tough is finding all that stuff.  They could easily just pacakage it up and make a little coin on th3e side.  As in the "all I need is a pda and a clue" package!!

Daryan

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2003, 04:50:14 PM »
the more I look at this solution, the more I don't like it. :P
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline danmorgan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2003, 05:37:55 PM »
the more I look at this solution, the more I don't like it. :P

I'm with you Kris.  I didn't really dig the sounds of it fom the get-go.

Offline shmurg

• Taperssection Regular
  • TAPES FOREVER....
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2003, 01:50:23 PM »
I am using the setup as well.  Everything is still in beta testing, besides the hardware.  Don't give out on it yet.  Everything needs time to get the bugs worked out.  I have not been able to do 24bit either, but really have not spent to much time trying to do so.  Did you know you can attach a 48 gig hard drive to it (laptop one) and you can record for hours and hours, and not worry about a tape change AT ALL.  Did you know you can use ecocharge batteries to run the system (w/4.5v cables).  Before being skeptics, let us experimentalists give this a try....its very cool.  Yes, it is pretty ridiculous to have to find everything but its fun.  Once this thing can do 24/96 it will replace DAT, but until then I agree DAT is here to stay for a while longer.

My 2 cents...

shmurg

PDAUDIO-CF
IPAQ 3850
IBM 48gigHD
Kingston 5GB Card
Toshiba 2GB Card
HP Expansion Pack

PS-others that are running leave some feedback, so more people get in the know.
 :guitarist:

DaryanLenz

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2003, 04:46:26 PM »
Can you run just the external HD without the expansion cards to do 24 bit?  I would think the HD could keep up with the data slew rate much more efficioently!  I am thinking about selling my laptop and big ass battery and becoming a tester for this thing, as it looks extremely promising...even though it is core-sound!

Daryan

Offline shmurg

• Taperssection Regular
  • TAPES FOREVER....
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2003, 05:20:25 PM »
I wouldn't sell the laptop just yet...PDAUDIO-CF has a ways to go.  I still can't do the 24/96 yet.  I can get 24 bits-marginally, but no 96.  I wouldn't until they figure out the 96.  Another thing that needs some work is how you can record over 2 GB.  Wavelab no prob, but it is a prob for the software end of the CS....

Offline shmurg

• Taperssection Regular
  • TAPES FOREVER....
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2003, 05:17:41 AM »
Just got the Mic2496...nice unit.  Will have official test run at the end of the week with Mule in Chicago.  I will be running an IPAQ 3850 with the dual PC card expansion pack.  I will try the PC card HD and the addonics exdrive (48GB).  I will be testing Witchita and Live2496.  So far, I like the live2496 because you don't have a 2GB limit, its 4.  Witchita its only 2GB.  Witchita also seems to have a few more things that need impovement at the moment.  Both are in beta testing though.  That means, just get something, because who knows which one will prove better for us tapers.....

Won't wanna be wrong, but both have the for improvement.

shmurg :guitarist:

Offline rustle

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Rock On!
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2003, 08:43:38 AM »
Thanks for the post, Shmurg. Let us know how Mule goes. I'm particularly interested in the PDA CF card, any idea when Len will release the windows drivers?

Thanks,

Russell
"Once in a while you can get shone the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right" - J. Garcia, R. Hunter

“Physical discomfort is important only when the mood is wrong. Then you fasten on to whatever thing is uncomfortable and call that the cause. But if the mood is right, then physical discomfort doesn't mean much.” - Robert Pirsig, author, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

Offline shmurg

• Taperssection Regular
  • TAPES FOREVER....
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2003, 12:13:40 AM »
Did some testing here....Here are my results thus far.

My setup:
IPAQ 3850
DUAL PC CARD EXPANSION
PDAUDIO-CF
MIC2496
KINGSTON 5GB PC CARD HD

With this setup I only got about 1hr and 10m until I started getting errors.  I got a program failure at about 1hr 30m shutting down the recording.  I am using Live2496 as the software for this test.  Now I am trying the Exdrive as we speak.  Hasn't stopped recording yet and has gone 45min.  Don't know if it will stop on an error or have record errors yet, I'll let you know.

The windows driver is supposed to be out in two weeks, but I would say most likely end of NOV.

Laptop may be the way to go, for now.  I'll let you know my results.

shmurg

ANY INPUT HELPS US HERE, ANY USERS CHIME IN! :guitarist:

Offline shmurg

• Taperssection Regular
  • TAPES FOREVER....
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2003, 04:44:04 PM »
I recorded Mule and NEM with the new CS PDAudio-CF and the MIC24/96.  I recorded it to an external Addonics Exdrive, using a 3800 series IPAQ and the HP dual PC card expansion pack.  I also used the LIVE24/96 software.  I recorded at 16/48....Worked great, can't wait to get reliable 24 bits though!

I am offering DAT trades....
Perfect time to hear how the mic24/96 sounds and how thw qualit of the PDAudio-CF is just steller...

Officially I guess it would go:
MBHO's>Mic24/96>PDAUDIO_CF>IPAQ 3800>Addonics EXDRIVE

Let me know...

ISO: of Earlier Crowes material>pre '96 or NEM shows

shmurg@yahoo.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com