Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: anyone using vintage mcintosh pres/powers/receivers ?  (Read 2283 times)

Offline junkbondking

• a good story and a good massage both have happy endings
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • i'm busy fabercating
anyone using vintage mcintosh pres/powers/receivers ?
« on: April 19, 2004, 11:25:50 PM »
my old system was a vintage aiwa tube 250 wpc beast, witha pair of vintage boston acoustic speakers.  had to sell it when we left cali.  im now in the process of putting together a new old school system.

id like to keep the pre/power combo around 500-700, and then drop a little more on speakers.  any advice is appreciated with +T's.

and fwiw, i have somewhat of a connection here in denver for vintage gear, but i don't know jack shit about electronics, and trust the folks here 100x's more than my hook up guy's friend.
www.poachninja.com  "you've been poached"

km184 -> busman modded R4

jpschust

Re:anyone using vintage mcintosh pres/powers/receivers ?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2004, 12:34:55 AM »
chris, how many ohms for that power rating? ive got an amp to suggest but if its at 8ohms it aint gonna cut it

Offline junkbondking

• a good story and a good massage both have happy endings
  • i'm busy fabercating
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2004, 08:52:45 AM »
the old macs could be run at 4, 6 or 8 ohms.  i'd rather get the amp firstand build the speakers around it.
www.poachninja.com  "you've been poached"

km184 -> busman modded R4

jpschust

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2004, 08:56:06 AM »
the amp im using is significantly less powerful than 250wpc, but it is just an amazing class a amp that works so well with classic gear.  I'm using the Belles 150a.  125wpc at 8ohms, 250 at 4ohms.  I'm convinced its the best amp for under a grand.  Get one of those and then get one of the amc tube pre's and replace the tubes- that will keep you in the general area of 700 bucks and create a nice mix of solid state and tube.

KC5

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2004, 09:49:02 AM »
i have a sansui g7500 receiver.  huge heavy sucker.  rated at 150 wpc.  speakers are klipsch heresy's--older ones--not the II version.  from the meters on the receiver it seems at 1watt the speakers are loud and sounding great.  reciever ran me $300, and speakers were $700 shipped.  i also have a marantz cassette deck and marantz turntable--model numbers elude me.  

eventually, i plan to buy vintage mac stuff.  i've always liked the sound of tubes with the klipsch speakers--cornwalls if you can find them.

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2004, 05:30:16 PM »
Have you checked out the old crown stuff?  A friend of mine has an old crown amp and semi-old adcom pre that sounds sweet.  His speakers are home built and not sure of the drivers.  His system is VERY acurate.  My system is a nakamichi receiver and a pair of polks.  It's so forgiving even my recordings sound good!!!  I take all my stuff over to my buddies before I release it.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline THE NIZ BIAAAAACH!

• Taperssection Member
  • Mr T don't partake in no sombrero activities!
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2004, 04:08:10 PM »
I live up in breck. I run a vintage mac 7200 250w a side and B&W 604's, if ya wanna come up and listen let me know, bring your favorite stuff.  We gotta get Tim up here too.
mk21+mk4>kc5>cmc6>portico 5012>722
24\96 in your ass bitches!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com