Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Apm. stand/platform  (Read 3680 times)

Offline bkirby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoeps/MGs > M148/248 > SD722
Apm. stand/platform
« on: August 25, 2004, 01:15:21 PM »
Hey,
What are the benefits of putting your power amp on a stand/platform with spikes? I see a bunch of different ones people are using that basically only support a large amp on the floor. Are there any benefits for this, or is it just looks??? Just curious since I may just build my own instead of spending over $200 for a small wooden stand!!!
Brad K.

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • LMA
Re: Apm. stand/platform
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2004, 02:00:52 PM »
cones or vibrapods + marble slab from Lowes/Home Depot/mason supply

(edit: still looking for a suitable non-ringing/resonating material)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2004, 05:37:16 PM by Craig T »
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Tascam DR-70D / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline bkirby

• Taperssection Member
  • Schoeps/MGs > M148/248 > SD722
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2004, 03:21:43 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking of doing something like this, but what are the benefits? The only thing I can think of is air movement. Is this the only real benefit? ???

Offline Wes

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2004, 03:54:08 PM »
its been a while, but I'll chime in...

there are really no benefits to putting your amp on a stand.  leaving it on the floor is fine, but some people just don't want their expensive equipment sitting on the floor, especially in high traffic areas.  Some (usually very expensive) stands actually suspend the amp, which is suspose to prevent any vibrating.  Considering most amps weigh over 50lbs to me this just seems ridiculous.

Wes
" Radio Shack md440zrs>high pass filter>whopper a>d "

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2004, 05:24:14 PM »
Amp stands provide isolation.  Many people do find that they make a difference.  Their goal is to decouple the amp from the floor so that vibrations from your speakers don't introduce vibrations into the equipment.  It's no different than isolating your CD transport or turntable.  Seems to me that it would be more effective for tube equipment than SS, but alot of people get good results with SS amps too.  The stands are designed to not resonate and provide good ventilation. 

You can make a decent nonresonant stand using concrete paving slabs, a tube of liquid nails, and sand.  Then use cones between the platform/amp and platform/floor interfaces.  Marble and granite look nice, but I've read complaints about them being resonant.  You want a completely dead platform on which to rest your amp.  Some people like maple or some exotic dense woods.

If you have a couple of weeks to get lost reading web posts, do a search in audioasylum and there you will find a lot of discussion about amp stands and isolation.  Depending on the gear that you have, an amp stand may not make an audible difference or you may already have a fairly dead platform.

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2004, 05:39:53 PM »
You can make a decent nonresonant stand using concrete paving slabs, a tube of liquid nails, and sand.  Then use cones between the platform/amp and platform/floor interfaces.  Marble and granite look nice, but I've read complaints about them being resonant.  You want a completely dead platform on which to rest your amp.  Some people like maple or some exotic dense woods.

Now that you mention it, you're right, I do remember reading a thread on Agon about amp stands with negative comments about marble.  Lets see if I can find it...

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?aamps&1087842751&openflup&7&4#7  take it with a grain since the poster is from Bright Star vibration control products.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Tascam DR-70D / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2004, 08:05:16 PM »
It probably doesn't matter much... but since I built my own rack the bottom is sand filled with brick top for the amp.  Hell the sand was free, glue was left over and so were the bricks.  Since it did't cost me a dime I went and did it.  I plan to get nice spike for the pre/pro and power conditioner as well.  When it's all done I'll let you know how it goes.

SC

jpschust

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2004, 10:26:14 PM »

there are really no benefits to putting your amp on a stand.  leaving it on the floor is fine, but some people just don't want their expensive equipment sitting on the floor, especially in high traffic areas.  Some (usually very expensive) stands actually suspend the amp, which is suspose to prevent any vibrating.  Considering most amps weigh over 50lbs to me this just seems ridiculous.

Wes

absolutely not true.  i have an iso stand with walker points holding up my amp, pre, and dvd player.  let me tell you, the amount of jitter is highly reduced and my picture quality is better.  i can most certainly see and hear a difference.

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2004, 07:12:57 AM »
Anyone try the Ginko mini clouds?   Jonny, how much does your amp weigh?  Got any recs for something in the 100+lbs???

SC

jpschust

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2004, 07:26:44 AM »
my amp is pretty heavy in the 75+ range.  One way to deal with it is to just set it on a stand and use walker points, but you are looking at shelling out a decent amount of dough for them, however i found they work the best out of anyone's tweeks.  the other option is a billy bags stand (http://www.billybags.com).  Those guys make it all and it can support that kind of weight.

Offline Wes

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2004, 10:24:02 AM »

Wes

absolutely not true.  i have an iso stand with walker points holding up my amp, pre, and dvd player.  let me tell you, the amount of jitter is highly reduced and my picture quality is better.  i can most certainly see and hear a difference.

Suspending the dvd/transport is definately crucial, but not a heavy SS amp. Alot of the really high end, really heavy SS amps that weigh over 150lbs have spikes built into them b/c they are actually suspose to sit directly on the floor.  Something that heavy is not going to resonate and is just fine sitting on the floor.  Would you actually consider putting a pair of these on a stand?

" Radio Shack md440zrs>high pass filter>whopper a>d "

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2004, 12:59:37 PM »
Here's one guy who tried an amp stand with his 33h and got positive results:

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=general&n=158276&highlight=levinson+"amp+stand"&r=&session=

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline 1st set only

• you are what you is
    • Don Poulsen Illustration and Graphic Design
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2004, 10:26:31 AM »
the show is over go home please.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com