Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: analysis plus silver oval?  (Read 4219 times)

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
analysis plus silver oval?
« on: March 14, 2006, 01:08:53 AM »
I picked up a pair of the oval 9 wires and they sound really nice.   Now I'm looking to get a pair of the silver for the upper leg.

I know some of youse guys have AP wires.  Anyone tried the silver oval and have a comment on the relative merits of the two?

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

cshepherd

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: analysis plus silver oval?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 04:54:28 AM »
We've got the Oval 9 speaker cables on the way for evaluation, along with the Solo Crystal Oval and Copper Oval In interconnects and Oval 2 and Oval 10 power cords.  They should be here by the weekend.  The Oval 9's are the rep's favorite product.  When I agreed to bring them in, the interconnect he brought up was the Solo Crystal Oval.  We'll be comparing them to the Atlas products.  Both Atlas and Analysis-Plus use single crystal copper, but their price points hit at different places so it should be really interesting. 

Analysis Plus also markets mic and instrument cables.  They have a $4500 instrument cable that is "heirloom quality".  I like their imagination.

Chris

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 10:47:54 PM »
No silver sample?  I've really been wanting to try silver speaker wires from my tube amp. 

cshepherd

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 01:06:04 AM »
No silver sample?  I've really been wanting to try silver speaker wires from my tube amp. 

Not yet.  Although after we settle up with this first round of demo cables, I'm sure they would send a set of the silver speaker wires out.  The Big Silver Oval speaker wires are more than twice as expensive as the Oval 9's so there should be some noticeable performance upgrades by moving into them. 

A-P seems like a very easy company to deal with.  It's good to hear Mok3 likes them so much.

Chris

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 07:09:10 PM »
Mike, are you using the analysis plus ICs too?

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 12:43:44 PM »
I got some silver ovals yesterday and put them into my system between the premier 11a and the top of the VR4JRs.  My initial impression:  I like the copper better.  There is sort of a upper frequency thing going on.  The sound is very clear but not pleasing to my ears. 

My only other experience with silver speaker cables is some milspec teflon silver plated stuff I use between an NAD integrated and some now vintage infiinity RS6b speakers.  That system has a very similar clarity and brightness.

Is this just the nature of silver speaker cable?  I read a lot of posts stating that the AP silver ovals are very clear and sweet. 

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 05:56:37 PM »
I got some silver ovals yesterday and put them into my system between the premier 11a and the top of the VR4JRs.  My initial impression:  I like the copper better.  There is sort of a upper frequency thing going on.  The sound is very clear but not pleasing to my ears. 

My only other experience with silver speaker cables is some milspec teflon silver plated stuff I use between an NAD integrated and some now vintage infiinity RS6b speakers.  That system has a very similar clarity and brightness.

Is this just the nature of silver speaker cable?  I read a lot of posts stating that the AP silver ovals are very clear and sweet. 

I have a set of heavy guage coppers I have used on my speakers for a while now, and love them.  Last year, I got a set of the sliver clad speaker wires that is the current rage, and hated them...figured I would let them burn in, which I did, and still hated them.  The upper level frequencies were just brittle to my ears.  The copper had a more relaxed musical sound to it.  Figured it was just me and moved back to the coppers and have been happy since.

cshepherd

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 06:53:31 PM »
Team Copper Wire?

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2006, 03:48:12 PM »
Team Copper Wire?

maybe not yet.

After about 12hrs of playtime since I installed them the edge has mellowed some.  So either my ears are adjusting or something else is going on.  I don't know if it matters but I have not had my amps powered on for probably 6 weeks.  This is the first weekend I've had time to listen to music in a while.  Maybe there is something about the amps being stone cold, although I don't recall hearing this before.   I even went back to the same material that I played the first night and it sounds better.  Though not what I would want long term.

Surely can't be burn-in since that concept has been thoroughly discredited  ::).

I guess I'll play with these a while longer and see what happens.    These are on agon so rarely and I was bottom feeding so a trial for the price of shipping if they go.  BTW, these are not the big silver ovals, they are the regular silver ovals.  So regular silver ovals up top on the tubes and oval 9s on the solid state lower leg.   Bi-amping the 4JRs is just sick.

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2006, 10:19:41 PM »
Team Copper Wire?

maybe not yet.

After about 12hrs of playtime since I installed them the edge has mellowed some.  So either my ears are adjusting or something else is going on.  I don't know if it matters but I have not had my amps powered on for probably 6 weeks.  This is the first weekend I've had time to listen to music in a while.  Maybe there is something about the amps being stone cold, although I don't recall hearing this before.   I even went back to the same material that I played the first night and it sounds better.  Though not what I would want long term.

Surely can't be burn-in since that concept has been thoroughly discredited  ::).

I guess I'll play with these a while longer and see what happens.    These are on agon so rarely and I was bottom feeding so a trial for the price of shipping if they go.  BTW, these are not the big silver ovals, they are the regular silver ovals.  So regular silver ovals up top on the tubes and oval 9s on the solid state lower leg.   Bi-amping the 4JRs is just sick.

Silver will reveal upper end frquency information you may not have heard before.  Some call it analytical, some call it glorious, I just happen to like it a lot.  Another theory would be they are revealing a weakness in your system that was being compensated for by the copper cables, but that's not somewhere I would want to go without hearing your system.
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

BobW

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2006, 01:30:40 AM »

Odds are excellent that some (any!) other factor is affecting what you hear way before the aging affect on the wire after 12 hours.
The speaker motors (coils) are very subject to heat and humidity.
The internal heat from use being the most critically apparent.

Beyond that, in this thread I will   :-X

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2006, 10:24:03 AM »
Funny that this resurected.   I haven't been playing the system much because of work and travel but last week I played a few things and noticed that the silver is starting to grow on me.    I wish I had more time to play with it because they have maybe 20 hours on them at the most.

I also have some milspec/silver/teflon that I am using for the TV room rig and those have many more hours on them.  They started out being a bit shrill and now they aren't.  Could be my ears but there is a definite change in how I percieve the sound of those.   Those have many more hours on them.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com