Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ? Sansui Microphone Info  (Read 4643 times)

Offline Handsome Dan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
? Sansui Microphone Info
« on: May 31, 2016, 12:10:59 AM »
This isn't really a taping gear question, but I came across a microphone at a local thrift shop last week, and it has become somewhat of a mystery as to what it is, thought perhaps someone here might have some insight..

So this mic is a Sansui DM-5. Comes in a baby-blue box with fold-over top. Picture of a city scape on front, along with the words " uni-directional dynamic microphone", the same repeated in French underneath. Says "Made In Japan" on front side panel.Side panel has specifications, like moving coil, 500 ohms, and 77dB, along with "Sansui Electric Co. LTD". Box contains the microphone in a bubble wrap bag, mic is matte black with gold band with "moving coil","imp 500 (degrees)" and DM-5. Box also contains 3 accessories: a cable about 15 feet long with the typical screw-on 5-point plug and on the other end a 1/4" connector, a double-connector output cable with input connector, and a smaller adaptor that might be a 1/4 connector to 3.5 plug.

I have searched the internet for anything related to a DM-5 mic and came up with nothing. I took the box to a local electronics repair guy, who told me he had never seen one of these before, but that it might have been an accessory for a higher-end Sansui stereo system that had mic input capability. Showed it to a few musicians who knew nothing about it either.

Anyone got an educated opinion on this thing?

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
Re: ? Sansui Microphone Info
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 10:04:13 AM »
Sansui is a name long gone.  Re,ember it from the 70's

Offline Handsome Dan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 11:07:08 AM »
It looks like an ordinary consumer-market cardioid dynamic mic with an archaic connector.  I don't see a reason to use in favor of a modern mic, say an ATM410 or something.  Probably worth about $10-$20.

Thanks for the reply, but I'm more interested in documented history than guesses.

Sansui made some of the greatest stereo systems EVER- some of them hold great value in todays market. Do a eBay search and you'll get a serious surprise, lol.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sansui-9090-Vintage-Stereo-Receiver-Very-Nice-Watch-Videos-/291757257414?hash=item43ee1672c6:g:CPIAAOSw2GlXJqU9

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 11:43:41 AM »
It looks like an ordinary consumer-market cardioid dynamic mic with an archaic connector.  I don't see a reason to use in favor of a modern mic, say an ATM410 or something.  Probably worth about $10-$20.

Thanks for the reply, but I'm more interested in documented history than guesses.

Sansui made some of the greatest stereo systems EVER- some of them hold great value in todays market. Do a eBay search and you'll get a serious surprise, lol.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sansui-9090-Vintage-Stereo-Receiver-Very-Nice-Watch-Videos-/291757257414?hash=item43ee1672c6:g:CPIAAOSw2GlXJqU9

It's junk...archaic and  -unbalanced- connector...not usable in any pro or semi-pro situation...

I wouldn't even use it as backup...so many inexpensive dynamic mics out there now - this doesn't stand a chance.

Considering Jon's reputation around here as an engineer (and a person who designs, builds and sells his own microphones and pre-amp devices i.e NIANT) - I'd say that's a VERY well-educated guess!

Probably more collectable for the image of the World Trade Center on the box, than the mic itself.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 12:02:27 PM by Life In Rewind »

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 12:32:58 PM »
^ That.

Appears to be a wannabe SM58, basically.  If you like how it sounds on your guitar cabinet, contrabass balalaika, as a karaoke mic or whatever, great.  But don't expect it to be a stellar taper's microphone.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Handsome Dan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 03:12:41 PM »
I guess I have to say it over and over- this is NOT a taping gear question, as I stated in the FIRST FEW WORDS of my original post. It is a question about the history of this particular mic and how it was marketed, utilized and developed. I am simply asking for facts, not guesses, uninformed opinions or taping use information.

I appreciate the replies so far- but it's not what I'm looking for. If someone has actually owned one of these, or is familiar with it by direct association, that would be more useful. It is interesting to me because there appears to be no readily available information online for this particular model, and a number of experts in the field, including one active recording engineer, have never seen it. I appreciate the efforts but I cannot take guesses or "appears to be" as concrete fact. Unfortunately, these days, everyone is an "expert" on the internet and many offer information that has no factual base to it. You wouldn't want your physician to base your treatment on such "facts", would you? "yeah, it appears to be cancer, so let's go full bore chemo on it".......no thanks, lol.

So again, thanks for the replies so far, I do appreciate it, and please don't take my hesitation to accept them as fact as a personal insult- it isn't. I'm just a guy who wants to know the truth, not muddled, gray-area data. That said, no further replies are needed, I'll take this to the audiophile  sites, perhaps they will have some first-hand knowledge of the mic. 

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 04:39:37 PM »
I'll take this to the audiophile  sites, perhaps they will have some first-hand knowledge of the mic.

Good luck with that! :-X

Sounds like you know all you need to know...and have dismissed the "educated opinions."

I guess I'd be digging up the Sansui manuals or catalogs from the era and see if they make reference to any accessories...but not sure how much more info you might find.

Its not a situation like the Nakamichi 300/700/1000 series - that everyone remembers...because they were great - and still are!

Its not a product that was "developed" - likely outsourced to AT as Jon mentioned. (Primo made the Nak mics)

It should be no surprise nobody knows about this mic! Its not a studio mic by any means - so, unlikely any engineer would know about it...nor would it be so common that anyone would use it enough to have an opinion...

But hey - Im just a guy who's almost 50 - and has collected audio gear for 30 years - also a sound engineer - and a taper...and I would probably give the same exact response if you posted over in AudioKarma...or whatever.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 04:45:06 PM »
In your first post you asked for insights and educated opinions, and you received exactly those kinds of answers.  You didn't start of asking about "the history of this particular mic and how it was marketed, utilized and developed", nor did you specify that you were interested only in the opinions of those who had owned or used this microphone. 

Now about that chemotherapy advice..   :P
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 05:01:31 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/Sansui-381634308600935/photos/?tab=album&album_id=550325841731780

It's shown in this early to mid 1980's Sansui catalog

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/1606889_550327431731621_86903450_n.jpg?oh=1525d1db08ff762b4c9935acf73e59b8&oe=57C3F714

"DM-7/DM5/DM-3 Unidirectional Dynamic Microphones
Rugged, wide-range designs make all perfect for singing along, recording, or writing "sound letters""

Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 11:52:04 PM »
This alone should give an idea of what kind of response would be acceptable.
...a cable about 15 feet long with the typical screw-on 5-point plug and on the other end a 1/4" connector...

And the best answer that can be expected:
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/1606889_550327431731621_86903450_n.jpg?oh=1525d1db08ff762b4c9935acf73e59b8&oe=57C3F714

Rugged, wide-range designs make all perfect for singing along, recording, or writing "sound letters""

Basically it was a "Mr. microphone".
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline Handsome Dan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 05:14:42 PM »
THANK YOU VERY MUCH- this is exactly what I was looking for!!

https://www.facebook.com/Sansui-381634308600935/photos/?tab=album&album_id=550325841731780

It's shown in this early to mid 1980's Sansui catalog

backwhereubelong

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2016, 03:49:38 AM »
I can give you all the info you want or need on this as I collect inexpensive mics as some sick hobby.  I have well over 200 in my collection.  I mainly have them on display in a glass cabinet and 99% of them have never been used.  I purchased mine off eBay.  Some box and everything.  Actually, mine was sold as "new / old stock" and is in mint / like new condition.  Jon from Naiant is 100% correct about its value as I paid $3.00 for the unit and $5.00 for shipping.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 03:52:41 AM by Roots To Branches »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.124 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com