Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA MMA6000 vs. Church Audio preamp?  (Read 11483 times)

Offline dmaster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • dance spaceghost dance!
    • ToriTraders
Re: DPA MMA6000 vs. Church Audio preamp?
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2008, 04:34:55 PM »
Since I have tested both here.. I can honestly say my preamp is as flat as the MMA6000 and my distortion figures and noise floor are the same, the main difference is the extra gain the 6000 has.. There is no compromise with my preamp being smaller. Its just a simple preamp like the 6000 is.. Nothing fancy.. But I am working on a customers 9100 with microdots he wanted the 3.0 version.. When he gets it back maybe he could do a head to head comp for you guys..

I'd be  very interested in these results.  I'm looking for a smaller preamp for my DPA 4061's and I have the MMA6000 so I don't really have an interest in getting the DPA's modded to use a different connector... and if I could get one of the UGLY preamps with the microdots and it wouldn't have a significant negative effect on stuff that would be pretty awesome.   I love the MMA, but it's freakin bulky and not ideal in certain situations. :( 

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2008, 05:37:41 PM »
Since I have tested both here.. I can honestly say my preamp is as flat as the MMA6000 and my distortion figures and noise floor are the same, the main difference is the extra gain the 6000 has.. There is no compromise with my preamp being smaller. Its just a simple preamp like the 6000 is.. Nothing fancy.. But I am working on a customers 9100 with microdots he wanted the 3.0 version.. When he gets it back maybe he could do a head to head comp for you guys..

I'd be  very interested in these results.  I'm looking for a smaller preamp for my DPA 4061's and I have the MMA6000 so I don't really have an interest in getting the DPA's modded to use a different connector... and if I could get one of the UGLY preamps with the microdots and it wouldn't have a significant negative effect on stuff that would be pretty awesome.   I love the MMA, but it's freakin bulky and not ideal in certain situations. :( 

If you supply the Microdots I can make the ugly with microdot connectors.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2008, 12:03:12 PM »
I've been substituting CA-Ugly for MMA6000 recently with 4060's and have no complaints sonically.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline surf1div1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2008, 03:07:29 PM »
Let me also add to this thread- I had Chris terminate my HEB ( Core Sound Repackage of 4061's with that added bonus of 1/2 the warranty of DPA themselves) and now have a sleeker unit. I go directly from his neutrik plug termination of the 4061 into the CA UGLY (the smaller version of the Church Audio Pre-amp)  and then into the Edirol HR09. Very small profile with exceptional sonic quality to my ears.

I've been substituting CA-Ugly for MMA6000 recently with 4060's and have no complaints sonically.
DPA 4061>CHURCH CA UGLY Pre-AMP
>Roland R-07> 32 GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SD

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com