Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: UA-5, RCA-In Question?  (Read 5896 times)

Offline Alpha Murdock

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Feeble Christ
    • MURDOCKS
UA-5, RCA-In Question?
« on: May 06, 2004, 10:37:08 AM »
ok ... i am about to pucharse a digimod UA-5 but I had a quick question first.

I have a sony stereo mic right now with a 1/8" stereo plug at the end of it.  If I wanted to run this into my JB3 i guess it would be best to get an adaptor-cable to make the plug RCA and go through the US-5s RCA In. (unless somebody knows how to turn a stereo miniplug into 2 XLR connections ... I have yet to find an adaptor or cable that can do this).

I would basically be going:

ECM-909 > (RCA-In) > UA-5 > (Digital Out) > JB3.

Is this possible?

Thanks!
Franklin Morris
LIST | RAWK
franklin@the-murdocks.com

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • LMA
Re:UA-5, RCA-In Question?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2004, 11:03:58 AM »
I think you'll need the extra gain of the UA5's mic preamps to get good levels, so you shouldn't use the line-level RCA inputs.  I believe the preamp inputs accept both XLR's and 1/4".  You should have no problem getting an adaptor(s) to get from 1/8" stereo to 2 mono 1/4".

Craig.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Tascam DR-70D / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2004, 11:32:34 AM »
I think the 1/4 in are disabled if it's modded.
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2004, 11:47:53 AM »
The 1/4 inputs are only disabled on the Warm or Pres mods.  I use the 1/4 inputs all the time from my analog deck...

But yeah, get a 1/8 to 2x 1/4 mono plug adapter cable and you're set.  

T

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline blu666z

• Trade Count: (1)
  • AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2004, 12:00:58 PM »
(unless somebody knows how to turn a stereo miniplug into 2 XLR connections ... I have yet to find an adaptor or cable that can do this).

Run one of these for the same purpose (battery box » UA-5) before I got phantom powered mics.

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?category=250&item=SP-XLRM-MINI-2&type=store

-Kevin

Offline Alpha Murdock

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Feeble Christ
    • MURDOCKS
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2004, 12:05:48 PM »
(unless somebody knows how to turn a stereo miniplug into 2 XLR connections ... I have yet to find an adaptor or cable that can do this).

Run one of these for the same purpose (battery box » UA-5) before I got phantom powered mics.

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?category=250&item=SP-XLRM-MINI-2&type=store

-Kevin

Awesome!  Thats exactly what im looking for!  How did it work out for you?
Franklin Morris
LIST | RAWK
franklin@the-murdocks.com

Offline blu666z

• AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2004, 12:08:01 PM »
Perfect.

-Kevin

Offline AT853rxwh

• Taperssection Member
  • You wanna stick those white mics where?
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2004, 08:13:50 AM »

-Kevin

Awesome!  Thats exactly what im looking for!  How did it work out for you?
Might wanna go 1/2 stead of xlr, cuz of the phantom.  Dunno what it would do with both xlrs wired together and you turned phantom on...  Anyone have experience with it?
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2005, 09:12:23 PM »

-Kevin

Awesome!  Thats exactly what im looking for!  How did it work out for you?
Might wanna go 1/2 stead of xlr, cuz of the phantom.  Dunno what it would do with both xlrs wired together and you turned phantom on...  Anyone have experience with it?

Hi all!

At the moment, I've got pretty much the same rig as Alpha Murdock, but I just bought some of the gear, and haven't hooked it up yet (I don't want to fry anything before I know what I'm doing!).

My setup would be Sony ECM-909 (internal AA battery) > ? > UA5 wmod > JB3

If I get the Y-cable adaptor from SP, would the phantom power spook my microphone? Or is the power not transplanted over the 1/8" stereo adapter?

Any experience?

Thanks all!
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
Re: UA-5, RCA-In Question?
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2005, 11:14:35 PM »
I think the 1/4 in are disabled if it's modded.

i thought it was the phantom power that didn't work w/ the 1/4 "

If I get the Y-cable adaptor from SP, would the phantom power spook my microphone? Or is the power not transplanted over the 1/8" stereo adapter?

if you're not useing it you should turn off the pp to begin w/
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2005, 10:27:18 PM »
Phantom power shouldn't affect mics that don't take phantom power if it is turned on, I think.  I think the name "phantom power" comes from the fact that its "phantom" to mics that don't use it, such as dynamic mics.  I mean, when you have a mixing board, and have dynamic mics plugged in via xlr, and condenscer mics that require phantom power plugged in via xlr, and you turn on the phantom power, it doesn't hurt the mics or the board.

that being said, I wouldn't test this theory on my own UA-5... lol...  ;)

phantom power requires xlr.  no phantom power on the 1/4" inputs.

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

spreadheadtom

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2005, 11:04:17 PM »

-Kevin

will the removal of the battery box........... going mics that would normally run off of 9V battery box > sp-xlrm-mini-2 > ua5 work.  or is the 48V P too much power for the mics?

Tommy

Offline leegeddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2005, 11:36:15 PM »

-Kevin

will the removal of the battery box........... going mics that would normally run off of 9V battery box > sp-xlrm-mini-2 > ua5 work.  or is the 48V P too much power for the mics?

Tommy

tommy;

you could still use your mic/battery box > ua5, but in a slight different way.

sp mic > sp batt box (stereo mini output) > stereo mini (female) - unbalanced xlr cable (male) > xlr input on ua5. turn P48 OFF.

stereo mini - unbalanced xlr would essentially consist of:

MINI:            XLR:
Tip      >      Pin 2 of left xlr
Ring    >      Pin 2 of right xlr
Sleeve  >     Pin 1 and 3 of BOTH xlr

i've made such cables for folks who run sp mics w/their batt. box to run into a preamp requiring xlr inputs.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

spreadheadtom

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2005, 11:40:26 PM »
can you just drop the battery box all together and run the 48V on the ua5?...or would you need it for rolloff purposes?

Offline leegeddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2005, 12:02:47 AM »
can you just drop the battery box all together and run the 48V on the ua5?...or would you need it for rolloff purposes?

yes, but you would have to have your sp mics (un)modded to accept P48.  the "unmod" removes the stereo mini and adds minixlr output connectors. you would also need one of these P48 modules AT8533, AT8533x, AT8531 or the Samson PM4. i believe SP charges +/-$80 for the mod.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

spreadheadtom

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2005, 12:27:25 AM »

the "unmod" removes the stereo mini and adds minixlr output connectors.

is't this the same principle?

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2005, 07:43:29 AM »

the "unmod" removes the stereo mini and adds minixlr output connectors.

is't this the same principle?

You have to run the battery box in front of that.  I might be wrong here (and I prolly am...) but since the signal goes from XLR to 1/8' - it can no longer push phantom power through to the mics- Phantom power, AFAIK, needs XLR the entire way through. 

The "unmod" that is being discussed is to take off the 1/8" connector and put an XLR connector (and power conditioner, depending on the unmod) on the ends of the mics so they plug directly into the XLR inputs of the UA-5, and accept phantom power for the mics.  This "unmod" actually turns the AT mics from SP into "stock" AT mics (for lack of better terms), and makes them no longer connected to each other in wiring terms.   A different variety of the unmod gives you the flexibility to either run off phantom power or the battery box.

Marc can prolly describe this in better terms than I am using.

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2006, 04:05:24 PM »
The 1/4 inputs are only disabled on the Warm or Pres mods.  I use the 1/4 inputs all the time from my analog deck...

But yeah, get a 1/8 to 2x 1/4 mono plug adapter cable and you're set. 

T

so the RCA input jacks are disabled on a warm mod ua-5..?
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.11 seconds with 46 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com