Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Battery life for the Church Audio 9100 pre  (Read 7880 times)

Offline austaper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Battery life for the Church Audio 9100 pre
« on: September 28, 2007, 10:41:21 PM »
Anyone have any info on how many hours you can go before you need to change out the battery?  Will it matter where the gain is set?  Mostly I am powering the Church Audio cards but sometimes I am running Nak 100's with batteries in them. 

Some other posts have mentioned green and red lights.  I have the version with 1/8" stereo mini input. It shows a red light on the left side of the gain knob when turned on.  There is another light on the other side of the knob that I have not seen come on.  I assume it is a clip indicator.

I have done 8 hours using the cards and some gain without problem but I would love to know whether there was more life in the battery or if I did the right thing by changing.  Any feedback would be appreciated.

Offline blindman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Ut!
    • Taper Stuff @ Fecundswamp
Re: Battery life for the Church Audio 9100 pre
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 11:20:57 PM »
why is ~40 hours coming to mind?

ah, there it is... "The battery draw is about 10mA so expect about 40 hours of use from your preamp."
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,80892.msg1119618.html#msg1119618

searched on... 9100 battery hours

and yes, that light is a clip light.

don't you just love that little preamp?
Then: Nakamichi CM300/CP-1/2/4 + Soundboard -> Audio-Technica AT4462 -> Sony TC-D5M
Now: Avantone CK-40 + Avantone CK-1 (Busman MOD) -> BusR4 (T+NF Mods)
Backup/Stealth: Sennheiser MKE > CA-9100 > Tascam DR2D

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 01:35:48 AM »
The new version 3 draws about 15mA at full output level.. This preamp will operate on 7 volts if need be.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 10:36:49 AM »
I nice feature to add to the 9100 would be a DC jack on the front, with a charging circuit for nimh 9v's!

I
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 03:58:44 PM »
The new version 3 draws about 15mA at full output level.. This preamp will operate on 7 volts if need be.

Chris

Is there a way to tell the version of a preamp just by looking at it?  (I bought a used one from Richard M).

And/or, will the older versions simply not power up on 7V or will they run with reduced performance?

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 04:04:50 PM »

Chris

Is there a way to tell the version of a preamp just by looking at it?  (I bought a used one from Richard M).

And/or, will the older versions simply not power up on 7V or will they run with reduced performance?

All of the 9100's will power up on 7 volts but they will not perform well on anything less then 7.5 volts.
I dont know what version Richard M has Pm his last name to me I might be able to look it up.

Chris

Offline taosmay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 08:44:08 PM »
Chris, I bought my 9100 pre from you last june, would that be version 3?  Harold May
Beyerdynamic MC930's > GAKables > OCM Marantz PMD661
CA 14 cardioid mic's/CA 11 croakie mic's > CA-9200 > Edirol R-09HR

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 08:50:19 PM »
Chris, I bought my 9100 pre from you last june, would that be version 3?  Harold May

I would say its probably is if it has a red LED it will be a version 3.0
 One place to look is under the pad in the battery compartment. Some of them have a 3.0 marked in there some have it under the Church Audio label. And sadly some are not marked at all. It all depended on how busy I was when they were going under final assembly.

Chris

Offline sunjan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 05:20:23 AM »
Mostly I am powering the Church Audio cards but sometimes I am running Nak 100's with batteries in them. 

I have the version with 1/8" stereo mini input.

Hey austaper,

I just got myself a set of Nak 100's, so I'm curious to know your setup, since I've been planning to get the 9100 too.
Are the 100's stock or modded? How do you power them, just 1.5V internal, or higher voltage (as suggested here: http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,61569.msg1289627.html#msg1289627)

Also, what connector do you use for plugging them into the 9100?

The stock cables are XLR >individual 1/4" mono plugs.
Do you use a Y-adapter like this: http://www.hosatech.com/hosa/products/ymp-137.html
Or did you replace the entire cables with a Dual XLR > 1/8" stereo cable instead: http://www.fullcompass.com/product/287015.html

/Jan
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline jamroom

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 03:53:54 PM »
I'm only bumping this thread as I was searching for battery life for my 9100 and was worried that 12-14 hours (three shows) would be too much. I'll stop worrying now - though will still replace it way before 40 hours. Thanks for the info guys!

Offline lordbelial

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Barcelona got tapers!
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 04:02:59 PM »
I'm only bumping this thread as I was searching for battery life for my 9100 and was worried that 12-14 hours (three shows) would be too much. I'll stop worrying now - though will still replace it way before 40 hours. Thanks for the info guys!

My tip. Just measure voltage in the 9 V cell before going to the show. Anything below 8,2 Volts means DANGER for me.
Actual Gear:

stealth  - AT943 (c,o,sc,h) > ST-9100 > Edirol R09HR/I-River IHP-116(CFMod)
Ultrastealth  - DPA 4061 > ST-9100 > Edirol R09HR/I-River IHP-116(CFMod)
Open - BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Segue Dogstars > Marantz PMD671 busman t-mod

Playback: PC > M-Audio Fast Track Pro > KRK RP6 actives

My shows on the archive: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/tapemaniac
Member of  Busman Audio team

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 04:29:05 PM »

One place to look is under the pad in the battery compartment. Some of them have a 3.0 marked in there some have it under the Church Audio label. And sadly some are not marked at all. It all depended on how busy I was when they were going under final assembly.

Chris

Hey Chris.  A nice mod might be to put a female 'banana' type jack on the case.  Connect to postive battery (through a resistor).  Then you could measure voltage on the battery from the positive connector to the shield of the miniplug.  No opening of package necessary.  I think Shure did this with some early versions of their preamps.  Useful for measuring both off and loaded voltages of the battery as well.  Hey, I might add this to my own preamp eventually.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 05:38:15 PM »
To you guys who are running Naks > CA 9100 pre...

I'm curious how well (how long) that works... basically that CA pre puts out 9V for plug-in-power, which the Naks don't need.  In fact with the transformer at the tail of the Nak body you have a dead short across the PiP circuit, which I figured would burn out the preamp, and so did Chris.  I know there is a thread about that here somewhere.

Did you (a) just do it, and it seems to work fine for a whole show, or (b) you only did it for a minute as a test, or (c) you installed current blocking caps in line?

I'd have done it if I thought I could have gotten away with it...
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline jamroom

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2008, 05:51:19 PM »
My tip. Just measure voltage in the 9 V cell before going to the show. Anything below 8,2 Volts means DANGER for me.

Good point! Coincidentally, I have just received my latest batch of batteries and a handy little battery tester . Thanks.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2008, 06:14:25 PM »

Chris

Hey Chris.  A nice mod might be to put a female 'banana' type jack on the case.  Connect to postive battery (through a resistor).  Then you could measure voltage on the battery from the positive connector to the shield of the miniplug.  No opening of package necessary.  I think Shure did this with some early versions of their preamps.  Useful for measuring both off and loaded voltages of the battery as well.  Hey, I might add this to my own preamp eventually.

Richard

That would not work in my case because my input ground is isolated from my output ground and I am also using a split rail power supply. So between + and the virtual ground audio ground. Would only be 4.5 volts.  From + to my input ground would be +8volts. Not accurate for measuring the real voltage of my supply.

Chris

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.112 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com