Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

Pick which

Image A
6 (24%)
Image B
15 (60%)
Image C
4 (16%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Which Image Processing Do You Prefer?  (Read 7637 times)

Offline gearscout

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Which Image Processing Do You Prefer?
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2008, 09:01:33 AM »
Well, it's a nice test in that it stretches the correct exposure more than 2 stops between foreground and background.  But it would seem more a test of the camera's program mode than the Raw Converters.

Seems the D300 camera was in "Pattern" mode at f11/400th/320 ISO.  A little "hot" for me.  I think all of these raw processors would have done better if "Program" mode had come off this shot half a stop.  It's trying to save the background and sacrificing detail in the foreground.  Capture NX (b) is saturating a bit more for punch, I guess.   

a. This is CS3
b.  This is Catpture NX
c.  Aperture, I guess!

Which do I prefer?  A or B.  I use Adobe Lightroom...I only see the Raw Conversion as a first step and then it's all about ease of use in adjusting sets of photos to the look the way I want.  C is washed out, but again, coming off the shot a half stop would fix that.

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2008, 10:04:06 AM »
Well, it's a nice test in that it stretches the correct exposure more than 2 stops between foreground and background.  But it would seem more a test of the camera's program mode than the Raw Converters.

Seems the D300 camera was in "Pattern" mode at f11/400th/320 ISO.  A little "hot" for me.  I think all of these raw processors would have done better if "Program" mode had come off this shot half a stop.  It's trying to save the background and sacrificing detail in the foreground.  Capture NX (b) is saturating a bit more for punch, I guess.   

a. This is CS3
b.  This is Catpture NX
c.  Aperture, I guess!

Which do I prefer?  A or B.  I use Adobe Lightroom...I only see the Raw Conversion as a first step and then it's all about ease of use in adjusting sets of photos to the look the way I want.  C is washed out, but again, coming off the shot a half stop would fix that.

Good observations.  I did shoot it in P mode, honestly it was just a snapshot and I used the first picture I pulled off my camera.   That said, does the pattern mode really make a difference in how it's converted from RAW to JPG?  Since it was a shitty shot, I didn't think it tried to compensate and it just converted them as they were recorded and if I wanted to change it, I could. Maybe I'm wrong, but by this same observation wouldn't the RAW converter or program screw with shots taken at dusk and concerts to try and autocorrect against the settings I had?  If so then I might need to start shooting in RAW and JPG to compare the two.   I admit I'm very green on this whole thing and have basically been using Adobe Bridge and cs2/cs3 for 2.5 years and nothing else...

That said good observations, you were the first to get it completely right. 

And to Brian, for color representation, in the original scene, his shirt was ungodly bright yellow, which is why i took the picture, however his jeans were not that purple and in the camera's viewfinder do not look that purple either.
mics & cameras

Offline moooose

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2008, 10:13:34 AM »
I prefer C. It has the best balance between shadows and highlights (watched on a samsung 713bm lcd screen with no color calibration at all).

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2008, 10:21:53 AM »
It's been a week and since we already had a correct answer.

It's

A. CS3
B. Nikon Capture NX
C. Aperture
mics & cameras

Offline Cools

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2008, 12:17:41 AM »
There's a minor issue with doing this comparison online: the color profiles of all three photos are different. The first is Adobe RGB, 2nd is Nikon Adobe RGB (Nikon's version of Adobe RGB) and the last is sRGB.

Only the last image has the correct profile for the web, which is sRGB and for this to be a better comparison all images should've been posted with that profile.

This is important because not all browsers currently interpret images correctly based on the embedded profiles and most assume that all images are in the sRGB profile. This could lead to images using Adobe RGB (and other profiles other than sRGB) to be show incorrectly by browsers compared to what you might see in an application that properly manages color spaces, such as Photoshop, Capture NX, Aperture, Lightroom, etc.

In this case, not only are the images different due to the the raw rendering of all the applications, but also due to the incorrect rendering of your particular browser and the platform you are on (gamma difference between Mac and PC).

For example, some people mentioned that B looks too saturated, especially in the yellow shirt. It looks like that too me as well using Safari on the Mac, but in Photoshop the Nikon Adobe RGB (same as regular Adobe RGB) color profile displays it less saturated and the yellow is more mellow.

Anyway, just something to keep in mind. For best result, save all images for the web using (or convert to) the sRGB color profile.

Personally, I prefer the Aperture version. I find that it renders the most neutral image with the most realistic colors with decent contrast and corresponds to the Neutral Picture Control of the D300. Then again, Aperture is my main photo application so I could be a bit biased. ;)

Also, Capture NX is the only application out of the three that can read the internal Picture Controls in the D300, so B is probably closest to what you saw on the camera LCD. From the looks of it, the camera was set to Standard which creates rich images, maybe a bit too saturated, with skin tones that are a bit too "gummy" and smooth for my taste.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 12:20:01 AM by Cools »

Offline lefty

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2008, 04:06:11 PM »
It's been a week and since we already had a correct answer.

It's

A. CS3
B. Nikon Capture NX
C. Aperture

i liked A best.  i think it's got more details (eg looking at the ground tile).  B seems too vibrant & C just has less detail compared to A.

Curious though, which one would you say was closer to the actual color of that guys shirt?
Retired Rig: Audio Technica 853s > Sound Professionals 12v BB > Sony PCM-M1 or MZ-N1

PM me if you want to help with a digital transfer of some unseeded Beck shows:
DAT 2003-06-24 SDSU Open Air Theatre, San Diego
DAT 2003-06-26 Santa Barbara County Bowl, Santa Barbara
MD 2003-06-27 Irvine Meadows Amphitheater, Irvine
MD 2005-07-18 Bill Graham Civic Auditorium, San Francisco

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2008, 08:39:33 PM »
Just curious, did anyone calibrate with a spectrophotometer on the monitor before the comparison?
Which one?

The difference in blue / red saturation on A & B surprised me. There seems to be a definite skew between them.

Sanjay, is A (Photoshop CS3) the most accurate on the shirt color? ...what would be my wager.

RGB is always something of an annoyance to me. Too many players, too many "standards",  and the gamut differences are astronomical.

Sanjay probably has nightmares of these from school-

« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 08:59:02 PM by Mr. Lizard People, Jr. »
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2008, 09:35:15 AM »
I honestly never took more than a basic photography class in school, I just taught myself and snuck into darkrooms after hours.

Cools you are right, I did not notice or account for the profiles in the jpegs, that was my bad.  However my monitor is calibrated, and I came to many of the same conclusions, however despite this my workflow favors using bridge > PS3 so I never changed anything.

I guess we can call this a flawed comparison.
mics & cameras

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2008, 09:49:33 AM »
damn sanjay!  your website looks great!  i just looked it over fully, im very impressed.

sorry for the thread jacking..
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• Oceana North America
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2008, 09:54:14 AM »

I guess we can call this a flawed comparison.

All comparisons are flawed, the fact that we see significant differences is a good sign that this is a valid comparison. ...especially since it is your workflow, which counts the greatest.  Occam's Razor or something much like it...

Hey, I'm still trying to find a copy of Phase One's Capture One to play with.
A few of my clients have it, but I never get a chance to play on it.    :'(

I like the shot anyhow, and the comp is interesting.
Your website is great! You've been keeping busy.

There's so much on the road to the elusive "artistic value" in photography.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 03:07:36 PM by Mr. Lizard People »
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

- Fran Lebowitz

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2008, 11:30:25 AM »
Are you on mac or PC?  I think I may have a mac version around here from my old employer, he was a huge fan of it.

Thanks for the compliments on the website, I really need to spend a few days and really hone the portfolio since I want to do more photojournalism and less event stuff.  I also want a chance to break out more of my Medium format stuff, but then I need a good scanner and it just goes on and on....

Send me some of your photography sometime, I'd love to see it!  And Jim keep up your good work you do awesome concert stuff.
mics & cameras

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• Oceana North America
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2008, 09:50:18 PM »
Macs, PCs, Linux, Sparcs, SGI, ...all sorts of toys and relics around the shop.

At home I lean toward PC so that I can access work apps, but I really should put more time into a dedicated graphics station.
At work, I get to drive other folks' machines allot. Sort like being the garage attendant at the fanciest restaurant in town, except that I have to go to them.          ;D

Recent years I've been disappointed with my composition.
When my mentor passed away a while back, my zeal drifted away like a ghost.
I keep feeling like I will get it back.
I will get it back, damn it!  JazzFest2009, baby!

Anyhow, I'll see if I can put some of my stuff up before I leave town.

I have some Tri-X Pan from 1974 that's dying to get out of it's glassine.       ;D
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

- Fran Lebowitz

Offline hypnotoad

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2008, 11:36:16 PM »
B looks the best to my eye.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com