Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: so..the mrs. wants a new digi camera for x-mass.....  (Read 9906 times)

stirinthesauce

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: so..the mrs. wants a new digi camera for x-mass.....
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2007, 01:06:19 PM »
yeah generally you will be fine with an 8.. its not like you are going to be printing out poster size images ;-)

Then what's the point of the new tech and all that cash?

My film based shots go poster size quite well.

check out this site.. that should help ya

http://www.design215.com/toolbox/megapixels.php

"You can make nice 8" x 10" prints with a 6 or 8 megapixel camera, but to make a true photo quality 16" x 20" print, you need between 24 and 30 megapixels"

Haven't tried the 16x20 prints yet but I'm getting tack sharp prints on 11x14's.  Zero pixalation.  Gonna send off for a 16x20 soon so I'll report.  The response I got this summer along these lines when I was in a class was that on the larger prints, any pixalation that might be noticeable, won't, since you won't be looking at it close enough to notice.  Of course, my hands on experience is nill, so take it with a grain of salt.  I find my 8.2mp 20d more than adequate, however, the 40d is on my real short list of jumps to make.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2007, 01:07:26 PM »
yeah generally you will be fine with an 8.. its not like you are going to be printing out poster size images ;-)

Then what's the point of the new tech and all that cash?

My film based shots go poster size quite well.

That site and table are misleading... It is a standard 300dpi conversion chart and he's trying to use the term "true photo quality" which is not defined.  We're not talking about producing magazine ads.  Many of those are still done with large format film cameras.

Small prints are typically viewed from short distances of 6" to 24", maybe 36".  Poster size prints aren't intended to be viewed that close. When you read the comments, many people challenge the guy's chart/claims and he backs down, saying stuff like "A consumer with a $200 4MP camera who has no idea how to use Photoshop, is not going to achieve the same results."

It is Very difficult to capture the quality of a good film image digitally with a scanner, especially 35mm. Just like with audio, an end-to-end analog process has advantages.

So anyway, for me, quality at poster print sizes is important. Good glass is also very important.

Offline spreetaper

• Taperssection Member
    • Brooklynvibes.com
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2007, 03:08:19 PM »
eh it may not be perfect but its a good starting point for newbies

and im talking straight prints...
anyone can edit the hell out of a pic in Photoshop to make it look better at larger sizes...

then again i have no idea what your concept of a good quality poster sized print is...
could be vastly different from mine.. oh well
My new blog site with live recordings and photography
(Brooklynvibes.com)

Cameras = Digital Rebel XT, XTi
Lenses =Canon 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8, 
70-200mm f2.8, 24-70mm f2.8
Tokina AT-X 124 (12-24 f/4)

Main Rig = AKG 414's > SD 702
Extra gear = Apogee MiniMe, Sound Devices MP-2, Tascam HD-P2
Stealth = AT853's > BB > Edirol R-09

Playback = Cambridge DVD> Digital Link III > Trio C-100> VR-1's

Offline ellaguru

• Trade Count: (17)
    • the wendy hour
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2007, 10:23:53 AM »
thanks again for all the help...

found the canon XTi 10mp for ~$250  ;)
and went with the stubby canon 50mm & the sigma 17-70 from b&h...

chris

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2007, 02:03:48 AM »

"You can make nice 8" x 10" prints with a 6 or 8 megapixel camera, but to make a true photo quality 16" x 20" print, you need between 24 and 30 megapixels"

FWIW I do not agree with this statement.  I have a 20x30 image framed in my living room that was shot with an old 6 Megapixel Canon XT that I had it it looks as good as anything I have seen from film (35mm)ever.   It was a full frame image and if you begin to crop much having more than 6mp is nice for large (11x14+) images.  Anything up to 8x10 and any modern DSLR will serve you just fine.

More important things to watch out for in my opinion are (for my needs) high ISO performance, focusing performance, metering, ease of use.  Canon & Nikon both make great cameras.  Things I'd look out for on the Nikon D40 is it's lack of a focus motor.  It means you must buy lenses with built in focus motors or rely on manual focus.  I don't think Nikons 50/1.8 is available with the motor built in.  I'd steer you more towards finding a D80 or keep your eyes open for a D200 used.  It is an amazing camera and built like a tank.  I'm seeing them all the time for around $900-$1000 now that everyone is upgrading to the D3 or D300.  It all depends on how serious you are and what your goals are subject wise.

On the Canon Side, the Xt & XTi are both good options, my sister just bought a XT with the kit lens on my recommendation for $500.  She is shooting family stuff and not doing anything low light so the kit glass is fine.  You might also consider a used 20 or 30D.  Both should be available in your price range and are also a significant step up from the lower end models (XT/XTi).

Right now I think Nikon is just a bit behind Canon in the performance of their lower end (<$1000) bodies.  At the high end though, Nikon's new D300 and D3 are simply stunning and finally give Canon something to worry about.  I want a D3 so bad it's crazy, but I can't justify $5000 on a camera body right now.

As a general rule the big plus to the Nikon line is they tend to be more compatible with legacy equipment.  I can take a 50 year old Nikon lens and it will slap right on any of my Nikon bodies.  Canon does not tend to be as consistent as their products go from one generation to the next.  It may sound small, but if you already have a bunch of glass it can be a big deal.  Nikon also has a better speedlight system in everything from the D70 up than Canon.

Finally, someone else mentioned the Sigma 15-50/2.8 lens.  I have one and do really like it.  It's much less expensive than the Nikon/Canon version and 95% as good.  That and a 50/1.8 will make for a nice concert shooting rig, that will also do a great job in almost any situation.

If you have other questions just ask.

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline phanophish

• ImageLume Photography
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2007, 02:08:18 AM »

chris

Where?  That is too cheap.  There are lots of shady camera stores on the web, that kind of price almost had to be from one of them.  Check anywhere you are thinking of purchasing electronics from online out one a site like http://www.resellerratings.com/rlist-s1-n2.html if they have a bad or no rating then they are almost always a scam. 

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?

Offline phanophish

• ImageLume Photography
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2007, 02:23:08 AM »
One more thing....

Lenses, there are 2 numbers that are important on a lens.  Focal length, typically expressed in millimeters, and maximum aperture, expressed in "F" stops.  Usually you will see something like 50mm/f1.8.  this means the lens has a 50mm focal length.  Larger focal lengths mean more "zoom" while lower numbers mean wider angle for field of view.  Aperture is a measurement of the amount of light the lens allows to pass through, the lower the number the better.  With lenses more light is usually better and costs more as the actual glass elements must be larger to allow the light to pass and therefore cost more to produce because of their size. 

http://www.photoaxe.com/understanding-the-lens-focal-length-and-aperture/

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/fototech/apershutter/aperture.htm

http://www.best-family-photography-tips.com/camera-aperture.html

Offline ellaguru

• the wendy hour
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2007, 10:26:36 AM »

chris

Where?  That is too cheap.  There are lots of shady camera stores on the web, that kind of price almost had to be from one of them.  Check anywhere you are thinking of purchasing electronics from online out one a site like http://www.resellerratings.com/rlist-s1-n2.html if they have a bad or no rating then they are almost always a scam. 

sorry...ham handed typer here!  i meant i got it from b&h (the body) & the '$250' was for other stuff....ive been all goofed up on nyquil for a couple days...that shit is harsh!

Offline phanophish

• ImageLume Photography
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2007, 12:07:21 PM »

chris

sorry...ham handed typer here!  i meant i got it from b&h (the body) & the '$250' was for other stuff....ive been all goofed up on nyquil for a couple days...that shit is harsh!

Phew....  B&H is great.  I just didn't want to see you get ripped off.  Sounds like you will have a nice setup.  You will love the DSLR.  Makes photography fun again.  We'll all be anxious to see some images.

Offline ellaguru

• the wendy hour
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2007, 12:14:46 PM »
thanks for all the tips....

i was aware of 'resellerratings' and try to refer to them when using a new place (for me) to order off the net....

b&h is the place indeed!

chris

stevetoney

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2007, 04:08:45 PM »
Buy her a new pair of AKG-414's or something and when she opens the package on Christmas morning tell her how great the spirit of Christmas giving makes you feel.

Then tell her that she can buy you a pair of mics for Christmas next year.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 04:12:47 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline ellaguru

• the wendy hour
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2007, 04:48:59 PM »
Buy her a new pair of AKG-414's or something and when she opens the package on Christmas morning tell her how great the spirit of Christmas giving makes you feel.

Then tell her that she can buy you a pair of mics for Christmas next year.

i was pondering a set of m70 caps for her   ;D

im actually looking forward to a new digi camera myself, so it'll all work out just fine

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com