Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mic Upgrade Recommendations  (Read 8040 times)

Offline shlacking

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Mic Upgrade Recommendations
« on: January 06, 2008, 11:33:05 AM »
Hey, since '05 I've been filming performances and have worked well on a really low budget. The mic I used to record with, the Sony ECM-MSD1 had performed much better than I could ever hope for. See any of my recordings here: http://www.stage6.com/eattapes

Recently the wire had begun to fray and the audio would cut out during shooting. Thus, I looked for a new mic and after finding a lot of people saying good things about the Rode VideoMic I decided to give that a try. I used it last night and the performance wasn't as good as I had anticipated. Now, on the mic it has an option to go for a -10dB recording or -20dB so I'm going to try that out tonight but if it doesn't work out, I need to buy a new mic.

I use a Panasonic AG-DVX100b video camera.
My budget is about $150-$200
I'm looking for a mic I can attach to the camera (yes I realize soundboard recordings are better but my circumstances call for a recording direct to the tape.)
At this point I'm tempted to just go back and buy another one of those Sonys since, like I said, it performed so well.

So if any of you guys can recommend a mic that may be better for live concert recordings that fit into what I'm looking for that would be highly appreciated.

(I hate to stop into your forum and simply ask a question but I recognize you are very knowledgeable about the audio side of recordings and this is something I know very little about. So please forgive me if I seem rude asking a question as my first (and maybe only) thread.)

--mike

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Mic Upgrade Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 01:55:03 PM »
You got bad results from the Rode VideoMic because it's not intended to be used in that enviornment(sp?).  The Rode VM is a mono shotgun style mic that is for fairly close voice work.  Mount it on a boom polec or a camera 5' away from a person you're interviewing and you'll realize it's a great mic when used correctly. 

The Rode Stereo VideoMic is much better for your applications.  Or check out the AT822.  I'm looking to get one of those for myself sometime.  The Sony ECM-MS907/908C is a decent budget-minded choice.  Personally I'd check into the AT822.   

Offline John Kary

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 02:49:35 PM »
I used an AT822 for an audience mic at about 50' @ FOH and it was slightly distorting when I used it.  The SPL meter at FOH was reading about 100dB at the time.

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 07:51:17 PM »
Maybe try the Sony series then.  I haven't filmed any loud concerts close up but I've filmed high school proms right next to the extremely loud DJ in a tiny ballroom and it was nice and clear.  I was using a Panasonic PV-GS400.

Offline jkmb

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 06:55:05 AM »
That's interesting that you have experienced distortion with the at822 at 100db.  I have one that I use, plugged into a Pd170... and it does tend to distort with moderately loud shows with the gun-n-run setup of at822>pd170. 

I really like the imaging of the at822, close to source, in medium to lower SPL environments and I certainly change that AA battery frequently (every 2 hours.) 

What's funny is that when the situation gets loud, I pull out my Church Audio rig and Velcro it to my pd170 with the aid of a few adaptors from Sound Professionals, and the st-11 mics are mounted with Chris' (SP)  at853 style mic holders via the hot-shoe.  Looks like rabbit ears, but actually pulls workable sound at higher SPLs on the relative cheap.

Offline John Kary

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 09:43:36 AM »
I used an AT822 for an audience mic at about 50' @ FOH and it was slightly distorting when I used it.  The SPL meter at FOH was reading about 100dB at the time.
I should also include that this was running AT822 elevated 9ft on boom stand running into a Tascam HD-P2.  The stereo-imaging was pretty good, but the slightly distortion during peaks was pretty annoying.  Even if running the input down on the HD-P2 to where it was peaking at about -12dB it was still distorting, so I'm pretty sure it was the mic.

Offline shlacking

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 09:26:15 PM »
Bump, any other help? If I up'd my budget by another $50-$100 dollars or so what is available to me? Also is there any audio examples of the AT822 around? If there is anything of an AT822 filming live music that would be super helpful.

Offline jkmb

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 10:53:00 PM »
My cam that records the main audio sits stationary.   So…. for $225 I would seriously consider that pair of Studio Projects C4s at the top of the yard sale.  You could fly them from a light stand, 10 feet up, next to your cam and not have to worry about bumping your mics while zooming/panning your camera.   Just a thought – and where I am going next.

Send me an email if you would like some at822 audio, but, I think they sound “similar” to most of the recordings off the archive.  Let me know if I can help.

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 03:15:43 AM »
well if you're looking for a cheap mic, that' provides probably very little bass response, but wont' distort on you , you could try the realistic 33-1065.  they can be had so cheaply on ebay that it's worth buying just to try out.

Offline shlacking

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 11:27:53 AM »
I appreciate the suggestions guys. I can't find your email but I would really like some of those samples.

Offline jkmb

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 12:49:53 PM »
Email sent

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 03:29:47 PM »
that's a tight price range.
IMO, id stick w/what  you know.  find a newer version sony or that same one (or fix it).
ebay has hundreds of sony ECM series stereo mics for this purpose.

that might not be much help..., but its advise.
:0)

if the original sony is just having wiring issues, I'll try and fix it for you if you'd like.  i'm handy w/that stuff.

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 04:17:22 PM »
realistics would sound very similar to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIm5R91A-Gk
i should mention however, that this mic doesn't have any way to mount it on a camera.  one would need to glue a shoe adapter or something on it, which is what i did.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 04:21:29 PM by firmdragon »

Offline John Kary

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2008, 07:48:32 PM »
The majority of the videos from my 2002-2004 were with that Realistic 33-1065 mic firmdragon recommended.  You can see a lot of my old shows on my YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=kfropes

I do still have mine if you would be interested in buying it.

The SP C4's mentioned above are my A-list mics right now.  I run them @ FOH each on their own stand and separated for stereo image.  Beautiful clear highs and full low-end.  I would say they do the job of a mic 2-3x their price.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 07:50:04 PM by kukyfrope »

Offline shlacking

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2008, 09:24:44 AM »
Can I make something work so the SP C4s attach to my camcorder? They sound like they're right up my alley.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com