Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-5  (Read 29851 times)

Offline the_artist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Tascam DR-5
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2011, 04:29:55 AM »
Thanks to everyone for the reviews of the DR05.  I'm impressed so far.  And for the price it seems a no brainer. 

I have used three basic combinations since I started recording 4 years ago. I record in stealth mode and almost exclusively rock . 

I started with a Sony MZ NH600 and Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2 in ear binaurals.  Because the Sony had only a Line-In I used a Sound Pro SP-Preamp which I generally just set the dial to Max and adjusted the volume on the Sony unit if it looked like it was peaking.  This worked well. 

I changed to a DR07 and kept the mics but found that I didn't need the Preamp at all.  I plugged the mics into the Mic-In and and could keep the recording from peaking by adjusting the volume knob.  I used the Limiter only.  This worked really well as I had one less thing to carry and I could always transfer my files to the PC. The sound is good enough for bands to use the recordings on my [___], bandcamp, CDs, and in one case a vinyl live LP.

Recently I replaced the SP-TFB-2 with the new MS-TFB-2 and found that I needed a battery box to give me a reasonable signal.  Without it there was clipping on the lower side of the waveform display if you know what i mean.  With the battery box the clipping disappears though the lower section of the waveform is stronger still.  No idea what this means to the sound :) but the sound is still good enough.

Now I am looking to replace the DR07.  The wav file count is up to 1227 of which 95% would be 40 min sets and it is looking a little bit beaten and the replay vol rocker is jammed probably from knocking it cause I don't replay much.

So the question is.  With the DR05 will I need a preamp, a battery box, nothing, an attenuator like the SP-ATEN-1, or even the battery box and the attenuator. Or something else entirely.

Bonus question: Is there anywhere where I can get simple instruction in what all the technical stuff means and how it fits together.  Stuff like Input Impedance, Nominal Input Levels, Frequency Response, Harmonic Distortion etc  Can be online or a book for beginners.  Thank you all.

Offline jbou

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Tascam DR-5
« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2011, 02:50:01 PM »
I've seen several users here run the M-Audio 10db pad:
http://www.fullcompass.com/product/399621.html

SoundPro does one with variable attenuation, but my guess is that noise would be slightly higher:
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-ATEN-1

Awesome. Thanks

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com