Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: First show  (Read 3574 times)

Offline emersondon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
First show
« on: August 27, 2003, 12:37:15 PM »
Going to do my first taping. Several local bands will be involved. I feel sure there will not be any other tapers.

Any help as to how to get approval to tape.  Just show up and set up your mikes?  ask each band? ask the promoter of the event?  It is a local musical blowout for labor day.  All kinds of music.
Any suggestions
Don

Offline Stumptown Matt

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a happy tapir!
Re:First show
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2003, 02:46:32 PM »
Also I'm not sure if you can bring any Mikes unless they have their own tickets.  Mics might be OK however. ;)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2003, 02:47:17 PM by wp420247 »
When cleaning out her attic, Grace found several bootleg recordings her mother had made while traveling around the world with the Grateful Dead. Grace is not permitted to sell these bootleg recordings on eBay.

"If you like the Beach Boys, you'll love Widespread Panic."    -Big Mike

"Music Sounds Better on Grass" -Clear Channel advertising

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2003, 03:08:19 PM »
A few things that I do to secure taping if I am unsure of the policy:

1.) E-mail or call (preferred) the bands' labels if they are relatively small.  I will usually ask for the promotions manager.  If the band is larger (MTV exposure, really popular, see them on award shows), forget it.  Ask the venue for the larger bands; a taping policy is often on the rider.

2.) Call the venue a couple of hours before the doors open and ask if audio taping will be allowed.  I will usually call around 5-6 if the doors are at 9-10.

3.) Show up at the venue right when the doors open and ask to speak to the tour manager if audio taping would be allowed.

You do not have to do all three of these.  If you do options 1 or 3, ALWAYS offer a copy of the show on CD or DAT and reiterate that you do NOT intend to sell it.  It increases your chances of being allowed to tape exponentially.  If there is a conflict (band says yes, venue says no or stage manager says yes but tour manager says no), ask for a clarification from a band member.  One thing to remember is that the venue is almost always "right."  You are in their house and what they say goes.

Good luck!
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline emersondon

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2003, 08:03:01 PM »
Thanks everone for the great advice.  The show is the Seabrook Music Festival and they advertise 3 stages and 40 musical acts.  4 days of live music and family fun.  I will try to contact a few of the bands.  there is a wopping big list and as well as I can tell most are locals.  I dropped a note to the sponsor to see if I could get any help thru the shows staff.  Sounds like approval from the bands is the route to go.  thanks again for you help.  I will drop a note to let you know how things went.
Cheers,
Don

Offline emersondon

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2003, 08:13:11 PM »
PS here is the website. http://www.seabrookmusicfestival.net/
only cost $6.00 so I dont expect to see The Greatful Dead.

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2003, 08:54:22 PM »
Sounds like approval from the bands is the route to go.

I looked at the website and I would suggest contacting the festival director off the "Sponsor" page.  She would be the point person for this.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2003, 09:01:17 PM »
Going to do my first taping. Several local bands will be involved. I feel sure there will not be any other tapers.

Any help as to how to get approval to tape.  Just show up and set up your mikes?  ask each band? ask the promoter of the event?  It is a local musical blowout for labor day.  All kinds of music.
Any suggestions
Don

hey!  i'm from houston too, but i didn't hear anything about this at all...

what gear are you running?

-j
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2003, 09:01:59 PM »
You can learn alot about recording and different techniques at these "lesser gigs". I personally love the small local acts, and they truly appreciate your efforts to record thier music.

I, too, really love taping small acts.  Great fun,  nice folks, and as Mike says, they truly appreciate the effort and are thrilled to get a copy.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline emersondon

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2003, 11:17:19 PM »
Thanks for the good words.  You ask about the rig.  I am using a DA-P1, two rode nt1a's mics or two AT835b shotguns, 4 hour external battery and two Manfritto 3373 stands.  Why don't you come up from Houston.  Tickets are 6 bucks now at Houston Krogers or 8 bucks at the door.  Sounds like it is going to be a hoot!

I just moved to Galveston last month.  Bought a fixer-upper on Rosemberg Ave in the Silk Stocking Historic District.
Cheers,
Don

Offline emersondon

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2003, 11:21:36 PM »
jlykos: good idea.
Don

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2003, 03:39:52 AM »
depneds on what yer running, you can always go incognito ;)

Offline emersondon

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2003, 01:12:15 PM »
Well gang thanks for all the help.  The Seabrook Music Festival was shut down by tropical storm Grace.  Tons of rain here in Galveston and Seabrook I am sure.  So "first time" will have to be next time.  Maybe I will be better prepared nextr time.
Don

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2003, 01:25:51 PM »
Well gang thanks for all the help.  The Seabrook Music Festival was shut down by tropical storm Grace.  Tons of rain here in Galveston and Seabrook I am sure.  So "first time" will have to be next time.  Maybe I will be better prepared nextr time.
Don

bummer, +T for better luck
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2003, 01:29:27 PM »
get 'em next time!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com