Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mid-Side Post Processing Workflow  (Read 2881 times)

Offline vantheman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Mid-Side Post Processing Workflow
« on: February 03, 2019, 01:34:42 PM »
I’m a new taper playing around with the Shure MV88 and my iPhone. I’ve been pretty happy with the results so far. But I wonder if anyone can help me hone my post production workflow. I mostly use Audacity.

For now I’ve been using the envelope tool on the raw two channel recording to tame audience noise and odd peaks, before processing the single side track into two track stereo. Then I’ll mix to stereo, and this is when I’ll use all the other tools like compression, filters, normalization, etc.

Am I doing this wrong? What’s your mid side post processing workflow?
AT U853A (SP-CMC-4U) > SP-SPSB-10 12V > Sony A10
Line Audio CM4/OM1> Sound Devices MixPre6ii or Tascam DR100 mkiii

Offline EmRR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Re: Mid-Side Post Processing Workflow
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 02:01:39 PM »
I would consider working on the processed stereo file first, with the processing on a stereo aux or master mix bus.  Processing the M and S separately can be useful for fixing particular problems, but if overdone can make the stereo image shift around, so if the stereo processing approach isn't cutting it for all problems, then go back selectively to the mono files, that way it's minimal.  Of course you may be essentially doing exactly what I describe.  I'm not sure what tools are available in Audacity, the program I use has a mid side specific dynamic EQ that also allows for a HPF to be used on the side, so I am hearing it in stereo as I do it.  If you aren't monitoring the mono changes in stereo, maybe consider setting up routing so you can at least do that. 
Mics: DPA 4060 w/MPS 6030 PSU/DAD6001/DAD4099, Neumann KM 131, Oktava MK 012, Sennheiser MKH 105, MKH 20, MKH 30, MKH 40, MKH 800 TWIN
Recorders: Zoom F8n, Sony MZ-R50

Offline vantheman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 02:11:18 PM »
Thanks, I have definitely noticed the stereo shifting you described and I try to eliminate that. What software do you use for mid side? Sounds promising.

Offline EmRR

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 02:47:17 PM »
I use Digital Performer, it's got some built in tools for that.  I'm sure there are probably some other freeware or inexpensive plug-ins if Audacity doesn't have anything included.  You can always cobble together mono tools on the mono tracks, as I think more about this I'd say monitoring changes in stereo is probably the most important thing. 
Mics: DPA 4060 w/MPS 6030 PSU/DAD6001/DAD4099, Neumann KM 131, Oktava MK 012, Sennheiser MKH 105, MKH 20, MKH 30, MKH 40, MKH 800 TWIN

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 03:38:40 PM »
.  Processing the M and S separately can be useful for fixing particular problems, but if overdone can make the stereo image shift around
What do you mean "shift around?" Like get wider & narrower? Or shift left-right? I would not guess that working on the mono tracks would affect left-right balance much. But I have not done much M/S mixing, so I could be way off base here?
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline EmRR

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 04:22:06 PM »
Wider / Narrower, with extreme situations making everything from center to outside undergo a smeary shift.  The two mono elements interact completely.   

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2019, 08:46:28 AM »
I would definitely do any M/S and L/R processing as the first step in DSP. Once you get those basic parameters set, that's when I'd do any noise removal, volume enveloping, dynamic range processing or EQ.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline vantheman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 02:19:54 PM »
Thanks guys, separate but related question. Can I flip my MV88 upside down, thereby reversing channels, and then invert the opposite channel than you normally would? The mic swivels down 90 degrees, which isn’t ideal for me. I need to be able to swivel it up some amount of degrees to point it toward the stacks.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 08:47:30 AM »
Can I flip my MV88 upside down, thereby reversing channels, and then invert the opposite channel than you normally would? The mic swivels down 90 degrees, which isn’t ideal for me. I need to be able to swivel it up some amount of degrees to point it toward the stacks.

Yes.  Three choices to do so.
1) Record as you usually do and don't worry about a mirror image flipped output. Recorded right will be heard as left on playback and vice-versa.
2) Do the same but swap the channels afterwards in your editing software to correct the flip.
3) Record Mid/Side instead of Left/Right.  Afterwards in your editor, first invert polarity of the Side channel.  Then convert to L/R as you usually would.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline vantheman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2019, 02:27:56 PM »
Can I flip my MV88 upside down, thereby reversing channels, and then invert the opposite channel than you normally would? The mic swivels down 90 degrees, which isn’t ideal for me. I need to be able to swivel it up some amount of degrees to point it toward the stacks.

Yes.  Three choices to do so.
1) Record as you usually do and don't worry about a mirror image flipped output. Recorded right will be heard as left on playback and vice-versa.
2) Do the same but swap the channels afterwards in your editing software to correct the flip.
3) Record Mid/Side instead of Left/Right.  Afterwards in your editor, first invert polarity of the Side channel.  Then convert to L/R as you usually would.

Thanks a lot. I think I will always be recording in raw mid side with this mic to maintain flexibility in the stereo image.

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2019, 02:38:38 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVOBRx7zGzw

i use this video all the time as a reminder when i forget what im doing
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.187 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com