Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Roland R-05 has secret easter egg menu for more settings too!  (Read 19923 times)

Offline listener2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Hi, just got my new Roland R05 this afternoon and found there is a hidden menu you can access by pressing the "A<>B/Split" button together with the "Menu" button.
It will display what looks like the normal menu screen but with an extra option choice #8 that says "Special Setup".
When you select that option #8 it takes you into a bunch more parameters that you can set and fiddle with.
The most useful one for me at the moment is turning off the "Record" red led light whenever you go into record mode.  That's good for stealth mode recording in dark places so it won't catch attention.
There is also a mic gain setting which is default I think to 18DB gain.  You can adjust it in fixed increments up or down a litlle bit.  I think the next higher gain step jumps to 28DB gain, the next lower setting is like 13DB gain (I cannot remember as I don't have it in front of me now).  There is also a setting called "Mic Bias" which is default set to *0.9.  I have no idea what it is for except my guess is how much battery voltage it sends to the mic plug in power.
Many other adjustments are in there to tweak reverb timings and all that too, there's more too but I just cannot remember the list.  But there you have it.  Nice easter egg they gave us.

Preamp noise? I have no conclusive opinion yet compared to my Sony PCM-M10 and PCM-D50 mic-in preamp noise levels.  But the R-05 seems to be just as quiet by my initial impressions.
No, I have not tested line-in overload levels.  I don't use line-in currently.
Updated: to correct menu selection choice #6 to #8 for the "Special Setup" after I looked at it again.  Also there is not adjustments for reverb settings, but rather the "Auto Record Start" parameters instead as well as the AGC level and attack settings.
#
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 08:28:32 PM by listener2 »

Offline jbou

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Roland R-05 has secret easter egg menu for more settings too!
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 04:55:12 PM »
Wanted to bump this for all the new R-05 owners. I was able to find this special menu but I don't know what all the options mean. If you know what some are, jump in and let us know!

Offline TimeBandit

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 05:44:02 AM »
looks like the hidden menu from the r09hr has survived into this unit. In fact the r05 is its follow up.
2015 rig: CA-11 -> CA-9100 -> PCM-M10
2016 rig: Sony PCM-M10 + SP-SPSB-4 microphone plug-in power supply +  SP-CMC8 with Low Sens mod
[backup: CA-9100 - Tascam DR-05 Firmware 2.0 + Yamaha Pocketrak W24]
video 2016: Casio EX-100 HS (same as Olympus Stylus1 - but much smaller - japan import not availiable in EU)

Offline LikeASong

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • U2start.com
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 07:01:05 PM »
Sorry for the loooooong bump, but I've just got myself a cheap R-05 and I was surfing the website looking for info... THANKS very much to the thread opener for this info, it will be interesting to tweak that stuff when I get the recorder :)
The worst things in the world are justified by belief.
-U2

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
-Aldous Huxley

Offline rolandr05

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 06:29:12 PM »
Sorry for the loooooong bump, but I've just got myself a cheap R-05 and I was surfing the website looking for info... THANKS very much to the thread opener for this info, it will be interesting to tweak that stuff when I get the recorder :)
It's cheap "now" after long time it was announced on the market so it doesn't mean the Roland R-05 is inferior to its direct competitors.
I've added more feedback in my thread: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=158660.15

And thanks to @listener2 for helpful information.

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 06:53:24 PM »
It's cheap "now" after long time it was announced on the market so it doesn't mean the Roland R-05 is inferior to its direct competitors.
I've added more feedback in my thread: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=158660.15

And thanks to @listener2 for helpful information.

Its just the roland/edirol r-05 does not come with power cord, cover, which would make the unit a bit more expensive.  The r-01, r-09 all the way up to the r-05 has the hidden menu.  Of course I personally only use the LED and PK light. I dont even know what all those other numbers and selections mean.  I got 2 r05 and like them. Still use the r-09, but the r-01 remains relaxing in the closet.

Offline LikeASong

• Taperssection Member
    • U2start.com
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 02:40:20 PM »
Yeah I'm very happy with the R-05 and I won't be ditching it anytime soon unless a really cheap Tascam DR-2D surfaces. And even if that happens, I think I would keep my R-05. It has served me so well! And the hidden features are amazing, I use many of them besides switching on/off the peak/Rec lights!
-U2

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
-Aldous Huxley

Offline jbou

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 05:27:50 PM »
Yeah I'm very happy with the R-05 and I won't be ditching it anytime soon unless a really cheap Tascam DR-2D surfaces. And even if that happens, I think I would keep my R-05. It has served me so well! And the hidden features are amazing, I use many of them besides switching on/off the peak/Rec lights!

Which ones do you use besides turning off the lights?

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 12:17:30 AM »

yes i would like to know too please, I dont even know what all they mean.  Thats why i just use the LED light, i like to have it on for an entire show so i can make sure I got everything going correctly.

thanks in advance

Offline LikeASong

• Taperssection Member
    • U2start.com
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 05:50:36 AM »
I change the

I change the mic boost depending on the nature of the show I'm recording; 13dB for loudest shows, 28 or 33 for acoustic or quieter shows. The mic bias is also useful if you use plug in power (I do many times), the higher the setting the better result you'll have (a higher bians means it's providing more juice to the mics). I remember I also tweaked the ALC DCY/ATK settings but I can't remember what it was for and if I liked the result or not haha.
-U2

-Aldous Huxley

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 02:08:17 PM »
The mic bias is also useful if you use plug in power (I do many times), the higher the setting the better result you'll have (a higher bians means it's providing more juice to the mics).

That would be very useful if you could get the PIP up to 5 volts or so. Then you wouldn't need a battery box for most mics.

Unfortunately I can't find a mic bias option in the R-09 or R-09HR hidden menus or test modes.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline LikeASong

• Taperssection Member
    • U2start.com
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 02:55:19 PM »
The mic bias is also useful if you use plug in power (I do many times), the higher the setting the better result you'll have (a higher bians means it's providing more juice to the mics).

That would be very useful if you could get the PIP up to 5 volts or so. Then you wouldn't need a battery box for most mics.

Unfortunately I can't find a mic bias option in the R-09 or R-09HR hidden menus or test modes.

Of course, that would be awesome! Although, getting 5V of PIP power using 2 single AA batteries would be hard, batteries would die really fast I think. This option lets you choose between 0, 0'3, 0'9 (default setting) and 1'2 V if I remember right, so I got it up from 0'9 to 1'2 and I've found my mics brickwalling less often than when I ran the default option (using PIP, that is). All, thanks to this thread :D
-U2

-Aldous Huxley

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2014, 03:35:32 PM »
Bump for new R-05 owners like me who got a deal from Guitar Center.

I am taking mine into the field tonight for the first time and am looking for advice on record settings when going line in from a preamp.  I thought I read somewhere that 38 to 40 was a good place to start??
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 03:56:06 PM »
I only used my R-05 once and I set out at 40 with DPA4061's in a fairly loud show. I only just got away with it, like peaks at -2dB, so if I was you I'd step back to 30-ish if its your first run with this deck.

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2014, 04:01:16 PM »
Awesome, thanks!
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com