Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Pre-Amp Help  (Read 2632 times)

Offline Numbness For Sound

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Numbness For Sound
Pre-Amp Help
« on: March 15, 2005, 09:03:58 PM »
After about a year with my current rig (some SP-CMC-2s) I'm looking to do a little upgrading. So far I've settled on the mics I'm going to upgrade to, the Audix m1290s, which I'll run into my JB3. I have been used to just hooking my current mics up to a battery box and then into my JB3. I know things will be a little different for the Audix mics and I'll need a pre-amp and some cables to get it all hooked up but I'm pretty much clueless apart from that :-\

So I was looking for some suggestions on what pre-amp options I have, along with what cables I'll need to get everything hooked up to my JB3 to record. I'm in the UK so most of my taping is stealth, with the odd gig here and there being open, so the more stealthable the pre the better. I'm also looking for something not too expensive since most of my cash is going on the mics (figured I'd be best getting the mics I want now and upgrading the pre/cables later when I have the cash) with a budget of around $400 (I can maybe stretch a little more but not much and would prefer something around or under that).

So if anyone has any ideas/suggestions they'd be much appreciated :)
AKG 391s > Beyer Dynamic MV50 > JB3

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
Re: Pre-Amp Help
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 09:08:16 PM »
for $400 a modded UA-5 would probably be your best best and that will give you a pre and A/D. Might be able to get a mp-2 for a little more, but that leaves you using the A/D in the JB3
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Numbness For Sound
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 09:11:59 PM »
for $400 a modded UA-5 would probably be your best best and that will give you a pre and A/D. Might be able to get a mp-2 for a little more, but that leaves you using the A/D in the JB3

I had a little look at the UA-5 earlier (was going to go for it with the warm mod) but wasn't sure if I'd be able to stealth with it? Most of the venues I tape don't bag/body search on the way in but for the few that do, would I be able to sneak it in?

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 09:16:35 PM »
sneaking a UA-5 and the needed batteries would be tough. It's small enough to be low profile with it, but not something you could stuff down your pants.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline stober

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 09:36:29 PM »
I would mabey try a Sonosax or Sound Device Mp-2 if your gonna stealth alot.Both very small and very nice.I dont know much about audix mics.What type of phantom power do they need?

Offline stober

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2005, 09:42:12 PM »
oh and a( mod) sbm-1 to go behind the Sonosax or Mp-2 as an a/d converter.All very nice gea iand is very stealthy.I think theres both for sale in the yard sale somewhere.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2005, 10:06:14 PM »
i agree w/ the laterr, the mp-2/sax/modsbm1 would allsound good IMO
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Numbness For Sound
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2005, 06:10:58 AM »
Cheers guys :) Will go and have a look at both those options now.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com