Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PS3 and Linux  (Read 15741 times)

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • FJ Baby!
Sony PS3 and Linux
« on: May 20, 2008, 03:02:11 PM »
I don't have a PS3 yet, but plan on buying one now.  Saw this the other day and it looks pretty sweet.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/how_to/4263321.html?page=1

Looks like once you get linux installed you'll have the ultimate media machine.  You should be able to easily stream video/music over the network including flac and hd quality vids.  Not to mention everything else you can do in linux.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
Re: Sony PS3 and Linux
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 06:40:29 PM »
you can do most of that w/o linux...

thx for the link, though - if the ps3 doesnt add support for flac, this might have to do...

+t
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 06:44:14 PM »
If ps3 doesn't add flac soon I am going to be really disapointed...
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 08:15:51 PM »
You can use the PS3 DLNA client with a Dlink NAS also.  I have a Dlink at home and use it with a client on my windows PC.  I have On2Share installed as an extension to windows media player and I can access media on the NAS.  I havent tried installing a flac decoder extension.  That would probably be the cool thing to do.

We have a couple of PS3s them at work for testing our box and they work great but we mostly stream video.  I haven't tried it using wav files though the stereo but the video streaming is great and will sink a 1080p/60 high profile MPEG2 stream without any problem.

Even if the PS3 can't decode flac, it can still be done in the server side before the stream is transmitted.  DLNA defines a transcoder service layer so if someone wrote the code on the server, it would just advertise the song and then playout LPCM with the flac format essentially hidden from the client.

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 08:21:34 PM »
^^^

that is a terrific workaround/alternative.

+t
-macdaddy ++

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 09:31:10 PM »
I couldn't stand it so I looked around and found this:  http://fuppes.ulrich-voelkel.de/features/

Looks like a nice cross platform server with transcoding. 
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 09:48:13 PM »
I couldn't stand it so I looked around and found this:  http://fuppes.ulrich-voelkel.de/features/

Looks like a nice cross platform server with transcoding. 

many thx!!!

that is exactly what i needed.

another t in 12...
-macdaddy ++

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 01:01:19 AM »
I wonder if that program would be any good in transcoding x264 stuff for the 360?  May have to give it a shot.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 12:50:41 PM »
Well I finally got a PS3 - put in the bedroom since the 10 year old $30 dvd player wasn't cutting it anymore...what an improvement!  Its weird though, the tv in there is only 720p, yet the ps3 will output at 1080p.  My eyes can't tell the difference when I'm half passed out and laying in bed, but I'm guessing the 1080p output on the 720p set isn't optimal, but I'm letting it slide at the moment.

I tried the linux thing, it doesn't work as well as I had hoped.  I still can't figure out how to change my screen resolution.  I've done everything possible and still can't get it to display properly so I've kind of given up on the whole thing.  My biggest issue in wanting it was for viewing x264 stuff in an .mkv container which is actually quite easy to do if you have the program mkv2vob, which just remuxes the file into an acceptable file the ps3 can play easily.  Plus a 10gb hd video only takes about 5 minutes to convert on my pc, I can live with that.

I like it a lot though, its a great media center which is more of what I bought it for than a gaming machine, but still nice to ahve the option.  Haven't tried flac yet, as I'm still using tv speakers, but I do believe tversity (the on the fly transcoding program I use) is supposed to do flac as well.

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 06:46:37 PM »
right on, ed!

+t

-macdaddy ++

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • The Jokell
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 10:54:40 AM »
Well I finally got a PS3 - put in the bedroom since the 10 year old $30 dvd player wasn't cutting it anymore...what an improvement!  Its weird though, the tv in there is only 720p, yet the ps3 will output at 1080p.  My eyes can't tell the difference when I'm half passed out and laying in bed, but I'm guessing the 1080p output on the 720p set isn't optimal, but I'm letting it slide at the moment.

You're probably going to want to switch the PS3 to output at 720p.  At 1080p your movies will be going through two different scalars, once to go up to 1080 and once again to go back down to 720p.  Best results are to avoid one of those steps and have the PS3 output to 720p and take the TV out of the equation. 
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 12:03:19 PM »
the new ps3 2.50 update added a newer flash so archive player works again.. Still no flac though.
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 09:52:43 AM »

You're probably going to want to switch the PS3 to output at 720p.  At 1080p your movies will be going through two different scalars, once to go up to 1080 and once again to go back down to 720p.  Best results are to avoid one of those steps and have the PS3 output to 720p and take the TV out of the equation. 

Thats what I was thinking.  +t  I need to see what the tv display says when I run 1080p to it.  Personally I thought if I sent a 1080p signal to it via hdmi it'd just be garble or wouldn't look right at all - I was surprise to see it could handle the signal, but its probably going through all the scaling now.

Offline pjdavep

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 01:59:36 PM »

Thats what I was thinking.  +t  I need to see what the tv display says when I run 1080p to it.  Personally I thought if I sent a 1080p signal to it via hdmi it'd just be garble or wouldn't look right at all - I was surprise to see it could handle the signal, but its probably going through all the scaling now.

The TV could be accepting a 1080p/24fps signal from the PS3.  My Pioneer 5070 is a 720p TV, but it will accept the 1080p/24 signal that the PS3 is reading off of the blu-ray discs.  The TV will not accept a 1080p/30i signal.  If these are standard DVDs you are playing, I think that some could be encoded with the 24fps rate, but obviously not with 1080p rez.  If that's the case, it's possible that the PS3 is scaling it to 1080p and sending out to your TV at 1080p/24.  A quick web search should tell you if your TV can accept that kind of signal.

Later,
   pjdavep
Recording: DPA 4061s > DPA MMA-6000 > R-09

Playback office: Denon 2200 > Grace 901 > Sennheiser 650's (all Cardas cabling)
            home: Onkyo SP-800 > Denon 887 > Odyssey HT-3 SE > Von Schweikert VR-2  (Kimber Select IC's and Bifocal XL spkr cables)

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2008, 03:45:34 PM »
well that is interesting, I guess I need to do some investigating.  The tv actually says 1080p on the disply even if I'm not watching anything and just have the ps3 on.  I've actually switched the ps3 back to 720p now.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.126 seconds with 45 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com