Gear / Technical Help > Playback Forum

Modded TD 150 or TD 850 should I stay or should I go. (Dust cover added)

(1/4) > >>

raymonda:
Let's say for all intents and purposes both tables sound very similar and that arm and cartridge choices are of more importance. Which table would you choose, the 150 or the 850?

I'm having a devil of a time deciding. I can configure each with either arm or cartridge I have and then sell off the other. I really like the classy looks of my new 150 but the 850 is rock solid and built like a tank.

Each table has been extensively posted here. If you have the time, take a look and let me know what you think and what you would do.

Posted pictures to save time!

Thanks!

buckster:
They're really two different looking tables, so it depends on what "look" you prefer.  The wood plinth on the TD 150 is really nice looking, but my aesthetic pulls me more towards the TD 850.

raymonda:
That's the thing. I like the looks of both equally.

I did a bit more extensive listening and, although, the Jelco is really a great arm, with my cartridges the Audiomods I'd a bit better. However, I could put the a audiomods on the 150, if I keep that one.

It is amazing how close these tables sound to each other, when comparing the difference in execution.

robeti:
Purely based on looks here are my 2 cents:

Since I spin on my vinyl on a td160 MK1 and always loved the older look of turntables, I'd go for the 150.

That said, I'm not really a fan of all the mods done. Of course it improves sound, but IMHO it doesn't really improve looks.

I'd mod them the way vinylnirvana does: improving sound but staying as close as possible to the original look.

raymonda:
That said, I'm not really a fan of all the mods done. Of course it improves sound, but IMHO it doesn't really improve looks.

I'd mod them the way vinylnirvana does: improving sound but staying as close as possible to the original look.

Thanks for the reply. I understand liking the original looks but my goal was not to stay true to the cheap plastic knobs, thin sheet metal top plate and wimpy plinths but rather maximize the performance of the 150. Dave at Vinyl Nirvana has done many different mods and has strayed from the standard looks, too. Beefier plinth, alternative top plate material and sans knobs. I think he has even done a few with carbon fiber and Origin Live motors. However, he does tend to stay closer to original looks for the majority of his projects.

My designs are more of a new take on a tradition design while maximizing sound performance, which to me, is more appealing. But I understand it is not for everyone.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version