Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: are flash cards affected by magnets?  (Read 5771 times)

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
are flash cards affected by magnets?
« on: June 04, 2008, 09:23:53 PM »
I just bought a new little LED flashlight for the taping bag.  it's real small.  but I didn't notice that the back end of the light is magnetic.  it's actually supposed to be a little reading light, the idea being that you stick it to the wall, and then its got a few inches of flexy type material so you can point the light in any direction.

anyway, is it a concern at all to keep this little magnet in the taping bag?  I know hard drives can get erased or messed up in a magnetic field, but how about CF cards?  my thoughts are that it won't have any affect on the CF card, but I figured that I'd check here anyway.  And we're not talking about a major magnet here, I'm sure that if I kept the light/magnet on the opposite side of the taping bag, it'd be plenty far away anyway.

thanks.

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: are flash cards affected by magnets?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 03:46:54 PM »
"There's nothing magnetic in flash memory, so [a magnet] won't do anything," says Bill Frank, executive director of the CompactFlash Association. "A magnet powerful enough to disturb the electrons in flash would be powerful enough to suck the iron out of your blood cells," says Frank.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,116572-page,1/article.html

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 03:53:28 PM »
awesome!
thanks for the reply, and even better, its the reply I wanted to hear :)

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 04:02:08 PM »
"A magnet powerful enough to disturb the electrons in flash would be powerful enough to suck the iron out of your blood cells," says Frank.

Now that would be cool!

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 04:05:09 PM »
Recording in the MRI?

FWIW, They use those baby Stax electrostatic headphones for MRI experiments to get around the magnetics problem.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com