Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Beyer MV-100 Problem  (Read 7320 times)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re: Beyer MV-100 Problem
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2011, 03:20:56 PM »
And Lemosax's are more expensive than a regular sx-m2. I paid $1,100.00/Shipped for my Lemosax in Great condition :P :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline OldNeumanntapr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2011, 11:23:54 PM »
Thanks again for the advice. I am going to try and have my MV-100 checked out. I saw in the archives that there was a thread about MV-100 mods. Very interesting. I like the looks of the newer Lemosax Sonosax, but at the moment I can't justify spending over a grand on something that I would only be using a couple of times a year. Times are tough now, with the economy in such sad shape. I definitely got my moneys worth out the MV-100. I had purchased a Lunatec V2  in '99 from Marc Nutter at Sonic Sense (remember him anyone), and then traded it back almost immediately for a new DAP1, as there was just no way that I could stealth with the V2. I loved the sound however, and wished my Beyer would sound like that.

This website reminds me a lot of DATHeads, which I belonged to in the 90's and was how I acquired my used MV-100.

Offline One Cylinder

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2011, 09:48:49 AM »
FWIW at one time I ran pretty much the same rig you're using - mine was KM184's > Beyer MV-110 > SBM-1 > DA-P1. I eventually ditched both the Beyer & the SBM-1 and bought a Lunatec V2.  The improvement in resolution & clarity of sound was remarkable. It was a bit of a PITA having the lug around a second outboard battery (for the V2) but after making a few reordings there was no way I could go back to the Beyer. Of course, if you do most stealth recordings the V2 is probably not a realistic option.  If the size of the Beyer doesn't hamper your stealthing (?) you might consider picking up a used Sonosax. You don't see a lot of them for sale but w/ a little poking around I'm sure you could find one. There's a ton of those units still out there. Prior to the release of the Lunatec V2 the Sonosax was pretty much the "high end" of pre-amps for DAT tapers.

Good luck!
Schoeps MK4(x2) MK21(x2)
Schoeps CMC6(x4) CMC1K(x2)
Sonosax SX-M2, Grace Design ACM Lunatec V3
Roland OCM R-44

Offline OldNeumanntapr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2011, 09:43:42 PM »
When I bought my MV-100 I researched the preamp question and found, that for stealthing, I only had a couple of options. The MV-100, the Sonosax SX-M2, or the Aerco MP-2. (There was also a French-made EAA PS-P2, but it was really expensive and I wondered about parts availibility.) I settled on the Beyer because it was cheaper than the Sonosax. Plus, I could never find a photo of the Aerco, and I wasn't going to buy something sight unseen, even though I really liked the sound of the MP-2.

Right now I really can't afford to replace it with anything, though it's fun to think about. (I think I mentioned in a previous post that I actually had purchased a Lunatec V2, but traded it back for a DA-P1 because I couldn't stealth with it. [The unit was a little large but manageable, but the required cables+battery pack was too much gear.])

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2011, 01:09:26 AM »
(I think I mentioned in a previous post that I actually had purchased a Lunatec V2, but traded it back for a DA-P1 because I couldn't stealth with it. [The unit was a little large but manageable, but the required cables+battery pack was too much gear.])

yeah, it's tough to explain to security why their metal detector went off before you went through...
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline One Cylinder

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2011, 03:14:48 PM »
FWIW, I think the Aerco sounds awful. Never did a side by side w/ the Beyer, so can't comment on which one sounds better (or worse  :) )  Also, I stealthed a couple shows using Schoeps CCM-4 > V2 > DA-P1.  Aain, the latter 2 pieces of gear aren't the best options if you do a lot of stealth taping - but it can be done.  I'd say look into the lemosax, and if you can track down a Sonosax consider that as well. 
Schoeps MK4(x2) MK21(x2)
Schoeps CMC6(x4) CMC1K(x2)
Sonosax SX-M2, Grace Design ACM Lunatec V3
Roland OCM R-44

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2011, 04:20:12 PM »
I am biased, but I would look into the Sax/Lemosax option as well!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2011, 04:25:45 PM »
There is a Littlebox in the YS for $150!!  It has a modified battery sled, but Jon told me he would replace it.  Nice inexpensive replacement.
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline OldNeumanntapr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2011, 10:23:15 PM »
if you do most stealth recordings the V2 is probably not a realistic option.  If the size of the Beyer doesn't hamper your stealthing (?) you might consider picking up a used Sonosax.

The Beyer is easy to stealth with. It's really small. I plug the KM-100's directly into it. (Which is probably why the left XLR jack became unsoldered once. I've run the V2 on a couple of occasions and it is very transparent, but large.

Offline OldNeumanntapr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2011, 10:41:26 PM »
FWIW, I think the Aerco sounds awful. Never did a side by side w/ the Beyer, so can't comment on which one sounds better (or worse  :)

Really? I have a couple of shows made with an Aerco MP-2 and thought they sounded pretty good. One such recording was the Zero show from 3/7/98 at the Royal Waikoloan Hotel, on the beach in Kona, HI. Another taper, his name escapes me, sent me a DAT copy of his master: KM-184's (x/y)->Aerco MP-2->D7. I acquired that recording specifically to listen to the preamp, as I was running the same capsules.

I have never done an exact comparison either though.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.135 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com