Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Quick Ua5 question  (Read 7956 times)

Offline Nomad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Quick Ua5 question
« on: February 06, 2005, 05:22:35 PM »
Do I set the impendance to Low when taping and do I need to turn on the Sw monitor. Manual is kinda vague to this newbie. Thanks! I gotta get taping fast.
Its the terror of knowing what the world is about. Wathcing some good friends screaming let me out.

Superlux CM-H8K> Wmod Ua-5> JB3

Offline hhf32

• Taperssection Member
Re: Quick Ua5 question
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2005, 10:19:14 PM »
Do I set the impendance to Low when taping and do I need to turn on the Sw monitor. Manual is kinda vague to this newbie. Thanks! I gotta get taping fast.

Yes to 1, No to 2
AKG 461's>digimod UA5>JB3

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2005, 12:26:23 PM »
the way i see it,  if you're not monitoring from the ua-5, why have it on in the first place. the switch is to divert the signal to the headphone jack on the ua-5.
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2005, 08:43:18 AM »
does switiching the monitor SW button on/off while recording affect the sound of the written digital file in any way going to the jb3 ?
No.  But you MUST have it off if you are taking an analog output from a digimod (or other mod) UA-5.  The digimod puts the UA-5 into permanent 'monitor on' status.  Turning the switch on adds a SECOND layer, slightly delayed which can totally mess up the analog output (and any SVU or other meters plugged into the analog output). 

Try it - run a signal in, monitor the headphone out.  Then turn the monitor on and play with the volume setting.  This is an undocumented side effect of the digi-mod.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline Scooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2005, 12:20:51 PM »
and it sounds horrible!!  The Hi/Lo Z switch makes no dif at all when going XLR in.
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2005, 12:33:11 PM »
so the lineage would be mg210 + sbd > ua5 > jb3 ? is this possible?

Yes.  Because the mix-down occurs pre-recorder and you're only outputting 2-channels from the UA5, you can run a matrix with any 2-channel recorder.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Scooter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2005, 12:37:27 PM »
here's another stupid question.
i only thought i would run a matrix when i used my laptop, but is it possible to run one with the jb3 as the recording device? so the lineage would be mg210 + sbd > ua5 > jb3 ?  is this possible?  would i work the levels the same way ?

If you're asking how to do it; run the sbd in to the RCA's on the back side.  Then mix as desired.
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2005, 12:33:08 PM »
how can i monitor a matrix in reference to the % of sbd vs aud mixed in when it's not being fed to a lappy, where i can actually see the levels in the program? say I wanted to run a 70/30 sbd/aud or a 50/50 sbd/aud, there isn't really a way to judge this is there, when feeding the signal to a jb3?

DKlein posted in the JB3 Tapers FAQ how the meters in the JB3 match up to dB levels.  Unfortunately, I still don't think the meters are useful other than adjusting L/R balance.  My stock response:  The % doesn't matter, what matters it how it sounds.  So mix til it sounds good to your ears.  Note:  this can prove challenging if you're mixing at the venue while they're performing, even if you have attenuating in-ear headphones.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Scooter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2005, 12:33:36 PM »
how can i monitor a matrix in reference to the % of sbd vs aud mixed in when it's not being fed to a lappy, where i can actually see the levels in the program? say I wanted to run a 70/30 sbd/aud or a 50/50 sbd/aud,  there isn't really a way to judge this is there, when feeding the signal to a jb3?

You gotta have some good phones, and monitor it live.  If you run a matrix in this manner (Mics>xlr and SBD>RCA's>JB3)  it is just like using a regular mixer and running that to your JB3.  Well except that it's digi instead on analog :).  You are not getting discreet 4 trks of audio, just two.  So you are mixing it "on the fly" straight to two trk.  The ratio of SBD to Mics is controlled by the preamp knobs on the front, and the knob next to RCA ins on the back.
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline Scooter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2005, 12:35:13 PM »
we seem to following each other around today Brian ;D
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline Scooter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2005, 01:03:46 PM »
thats it.   ;)  Also take into account that if your mics are more than about 20-30 ft away from the stage, you're going to get some delay introduced between the two sources.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2005, 01:07:30 PM by Scooter »
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2005, 10:38:33 PM »
just for gp, i use an old set of headphones from a "walkman" type cd player to monitor from my d8. not the best, but better than leds.

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2005, 12:44:18 AM »
yea i realize about the delay, that won't be an issue ever in the places i have board access.

why?     your mics on stage?    not saing i'd notice, but.........

Offline Gr8ful98

• Swamp Funk Junkie
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Harps & Drums
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2005, 08:44:44 AM »
Hey y'all,
   Been reading the posts & it's been helping me.  Question...I'm going to try my first "matrix" recording this weekend.
I'm using:  Mics>XLR>UA5 Digimod/SBD>RCA>UA5 Digimod>RCA>Archos(hard drive)

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like I adjust the mic inputs with each knob next to the XLR inputs on the UA5.  And I adjust the SBD input with the knob next to the RCA input on the back of the UA5. 

I know that if you raise the XLR input levels too high, the little peak light comes on.   Does the same thing happen if you raise the RCA input level to hight?  How can I tell if the RCA input level is too high?   

Never been to the club before, so I don't know exactly where the SBD is located.  If it happens to be more than 20 feet from the stage, will there be a delay?  If so, how do I correct that?     OR....if it's more than 20 feet from the stage, should just use the mics or SBD and not both?

Any other little tips or tricks of the trade would be helpful.   Thanks again!
Namaste,
John Dude

AKG 481's>HYDRA Silver XLR's>Dmod UA5>JB3
Hat>OadeBros Micro Binaural>9vBattBox>JB3

<<<<iso CK62/63's>>>>

Offline Scooter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2005, 09:03:56 AM »
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like I adjust the mic inputs with each knob next to the XLR inputs on the UA5.  And I adjust the SBD input with the knob next to the RCA input on the back of the UA5. 

I know that if you raise the XLR input levels too high, the little peak light comes on.   Does the same thing happen if you raise the RCA input level to hight?  How can I tell if the RCA input level is too high?   

Never been to the club before, so I don't know exactly where the SBD is located.  If it happens to be more than 20 feet from the stage, will there be a delay?  If so, how do I correct that?     OR....if it's more than 20 feet from the stage, should just use the mics or SBD and not both?

-correct
-peak light works for all inputs, so both sources combined go to the peak light
-well, in this situation, unless you have a delay line handy at the show to run on one of the sources, you can't do anything about it.  I'd use just the mics if you have to tape from more than 30 0ft away from the stage.  When I'm in that situation, I use my VXPocket soundcard>laptop, it gives 4trks of discreet audio, and mix them later, and compensate for the delay.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2005, 09:05:40 AM by Scooter »
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com