Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: pre-amp listing/survey  (Read 6873 times)

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • half dead batteries
pre-amp listing/survey
« on: February 12, 2005, 05:02:55 PM »
I'm looking to compile a quick reference sheet that would break preamps down into categories such as warm, transparent, bright(presence) and to also list power requirements, brief feature list, I/O and ((maybe)) which categories of mics certain pres work/sound best with.  I am not including preamps in a recording deck; this is stictly outboard based units.

I understand that some of those are somewhat subjective, but you cant discern from manufacturer specs how a particular pre will affect the sound of mic 'X'; thats where knowledge of use come in.

I will dig up the manufacturer specs for each and compile the info. I am asking you to help provide me with a list of preamps, how you would describe their sound(warm, transparent, etc), and which mics they seem to work best with.  You dont have dont have to be specific as to the mics portion; manufacturer, series, size(SD or LD) or pattern(cards, hypers, subcards) is fine. 

The more well known pres are obvious: V2/V3/T-UA5 are transparent, m148/MP2/MixPre/W-UA5 are warm, P-UA5/DMIC20 are bright.  I realize there are varying degrees of warm and that transparent to Bob could be bright to Joe, but that is beyond the scope of this 'cheatsheet'.

Firstly, what are the preamps we use? I'm including pres that have ADCs like the MiniMe, UA5(w/mods) and V3 because they apply.  I'm assuming phantom power based units:
Grace V2/V3 transparent   power:6V/12V plug
Sound Devices MP2/MixPre/Shure FP24  warm  power: 2xAA or 6V plug
PSP2\PSP3  power: ???
Oade m118/m148/m248  m1xx/warm, m2xx/bright  power: internal SLA
Edirol UA5(T/P/M/Plus mods)  power: 9V plug
Denecke PS2/AD20  warm   power: internal 9V or ???plug
Graham Patten DMIC20  power: 6V plug
Sonosax SX-M2  power:  ???
Apogee MiniMe/MiniMp  warm  power: 6/12V plug
**what other preamps(in current use) am I missing?

I came upon this idea while I was thinking of what preamps sounded warm as that is the direction I am looking to go. I looked through the archival and preamp section but could find out some info for units like the SX-M2 and the Aeta units.  I'm going to try to dig up Brian Skalinders mic/pre sheet(is that in the archive section?) and see what information could be imported into this.

thanks

this could also apply to the 'Taping Guide' I guess: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=23767.0;all

the water's clean and innocent

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
Re: pre-amp listing/survey
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2005, 05:55:18 PM »
There is also the Beyerdynamic MV100. 24v external or 2 x 9v internal
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2005, 06:12:42 PM »
Metric Halo ULN-2 (pre and ADC) - clean, transparent, detailed (I'd say even MORE so than the V3 on that last point) - power by 12V via adaptaplug-compatible jack or 4-pin XLR.

Mics I've used it with (in order of preference):
the good:
DPA 4021/4022
Earthworks SR77
Neumann U-89

the not-so-good:
ADK A-51TL
Neumann TLM-170
Neumann KM-184

These rankings are of course, subjective. I was surprised that I didn't like the TLM-170s. I think I expected them to be more like the U-89s. They were too clinical to my ears, though. Based on other experiences, I would expect to like the sound of this unit with AKG 480s and 414s and Earthworks QTC-1s as well as DPA 4006s.

I would be interested in trying this unit with Schoeps to see what it sounds like, but I think it'd be a bad match for my ears. Those of you who like a clean, dark sound might be delighted, though.
Out of the game … for now?

spreadheadtom

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2005, 04:06:37 AM »
Metric Halo ULN-2 (pre and ADC) - clean, transparent, detailed (I'd say even MORE so than the V3 on that last point) - power by 12V via adaptaplug-compatible jack or 4-pin XLR.

Mics I've used it with (in order of preference):
the good:
DPA 4021/4022
Earthworks SR77
Neumann U-89

the not-so-good:
ADK A-51TL
Neumann TLM-170
Neumann KM-184

These rankings are of course, subjective. I was surprised that I didn't like the TLM-170s. I think I expected them to be more like the U-89s. They were too clinical to my ears, though. Based on other experiences, I would expect to like the sound of this unit with AKG 480s and 414s and Earthworks QTC-1s as well as DPA 4006s.

I would be interested in trying this unit with Schoeps to see what it sounds like, but I think it'd be a bad match for my ears. Those of you who like a clean, dark sound might be delighted, though.

you have sparked my attention on this....PM sent

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2005, 05:14:14 AM »
There are are always the field "mixers" that are out there, but don't see a lot of use in our circles:

Wendt X2 (there are a few folks besides me who ran/run this baby)
PSC Alpha Mixer (their design, not the Wendt x4 in sheep's clothing, like their prior 4 channel unit)
Wend X4 & X5 (same mixer, different number of inputs)
Shure FP33
SQN Series V (NEW, expensive 4 channel mixer from the Brits)
Filmtech LSP4 (high end 4 channel mixer)
Rolls MX442
Cooper CS-104

Can't think of any others off the top of my head, but you get the idea.

Almost all of these are designed to be "transparent". Almost all of the movies you have seen made within the last 35 years have used one of these or their predecessor.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline jhirte

• At ease atleast yeah.
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2005, 01:36:26 PM »
Dont forget the aerco!

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2005, 03:58:36 PM »
Dont forget the aerco!

Holy Crap! That thing makes an Oade look state of the art....
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline muj

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Certifiable Nevaton Fluffer
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2005, 04:16:19 PM »
then you have marienus pre's,rme pre's ,stellavox pre....too many mic pre's . :-*

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2005, 04:49:08 PM »

the few times i ran the ULN2 as a pre/ad i found it to be a bit darker than the v3

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2005, 10:11:16 PM »
The Mini-Mp is NOT warm, it colors the sound slightly,  but it is far from what I would consider warm, at least in the sense of tube warmth.  I know not many people have even heard it, but it is extremely clean, detailed, accurate, and extremely fast sounding.  If you want to use the term warm I think tubes, none of what we run in general is close to what I would call warm.  Colored yes, warm, not so much.  When I think warm I think of huge bloomy midrange, and not one of the pieces of gear I have used had such charachteristics.
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline JAH

• Taperssection Member
  • The kids they dance, they shake their bones!
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2005, 03:22:34 PM »
The psp-3 uses 6 AA's..I put a spec sheet here  http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=28562.0

peace
jah
Taping, it's a team sport!
km140/150>M148>mme or msbm-1
...yes screwdriver impaired
modified akg 461/2/ck8
iH120...and a slew of dat decks ;-(

Offline JAH

• Taperssection Member
  • The kids they dance, they shake their bones!
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2005, 03:24:18 PM »
Dont forget the aerco!
what's inside one??? ;)
Taping, it's a team sport!
km140/150>M148>mme or msbm-1
...yes screwdriver impaired
modified akg 461/2/ck8
iH120...and a slew of dat decks ;-(

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2005, 11:52:56 AM »
When I think warm I think of huge bloomy midrange

bloomy? do you mean boomy? 

Nah, I meant bloomy, like bloomy in big, fat, open midrange, maybe a poor choice of words?  Everyone says the mini-me is warm, it just isn't.  It's colored to all get out, but warm is not a word I associate with it.  Doug actually told me he thinks the v3 sounds warm and the mini-me transparent fwiw.
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2005, 12:15:26 PM »
if the minime is transparent, how can it be colored?  doesn't colored mean not transparent?

Offline muj

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Certifiable Nevaton Fluffer
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2005, 02:59:37 AM »
if doug told you that the moon was made of cheese, you'd bite it too?

:-* :-* :-* :-*

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.098 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com