Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ua-5 question  (Read 8681 times)

Offline sweatboard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
ua-5 question
« on: May 20, 2005, 07:33:24 PM »
Ok, I'm runnig 2 at853rx's >warm mod ua-5>jb3.  I want to make sure I get all my setting right.  I should run lo-z, adv off, input in stereo mode, 44.1khz, rec source analog even though I'm going to the digital in in my jb3 from optical out on the ua-5, set switch to optical on the back, sens buttons should be around 9-10 o'clock, what should I do with the input volume on the back?  The optical should go line in into the jukebox, set to wav. files 44.1, gain to 0, source to line in, synchro off and continuous off, does this sound about right?  Also, do I need to put firmware onto my ua-5, it's had a mod so I don't know if it would be dangerous to hook it up to the computer to download the firmware?  How do I turn off the thing that tells the jb3 to seperate tracks on long recordings?  Thank You.

Ray76

Re: ua-5 question
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 08:35:37 PM »
that is right bud. on the back, the input volume doesnt matter, unless you are running into the inputs back there. OPTICAL IN on the jb3, since you are using an optical cable to runto the jb3 from the ua5. Recording source is ANALOG, since the signal coming from your mics is analog

the seperation thing on long recordings is a firmware thing with the jb3, i think,. go to www.creative.com, go to support, and click on software auto detect and itll hook you up.

goodlluck bro!!

+T
ray
« Last Edit: May 20, 2005, 08:45:21 PM by BigRay »

Offline sweatboard

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2005, 08:42:56 PM »
how do I disable the seperation, I got the jb3 used so I don't know if it's on it or not.  Also, are you saying that the recording source button on the ua-5 should be digital and not analog?  That was confusing me because why would I select analog when I'm going digital?/

Ray76

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2005, 08:46:59 PM »
no, analog. the recording source is a analog source. ie microphone.

ray

Ray76

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2005, 08:48:58 PM »
how do I disable the seperation, I got the jb3 used so I don't know if it's on it or not.  Also, are you saying that the recording source button on the ua-5 should be digital and not analog?  That was confusing me because why would I select analog when I'm going digital?/

go to www.creative.com and under support, there is a software auto detect feature that will tell you if you have the updated firmware. make sure the jb3 is on and connected via usb(not firewire) and it works great.

Ray

Offline sweatboard

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2005, 09:27:20 PM »
Thanks Ray, Should I update the firmware and just make sure the seperation thing is off?

Ray76

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2005, 09:46:37 PM »
just update the firmware(use the autodetect) and it should be ok.

Ray

Offline Electric Cowgirl

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2005, 12:42:04 AM »
Here's some whys for anyone that is interested...please correct me if I'm wrong.

Lo-Z because you are using Lo-Z XLR cables to connect your mics to the UA5.

Stereo input because you have 2 mics plugged in.

Analog record source because your mics are sending an analog signal into the UA5, which then coverts the signal to digital using the internal a/d before sending the sounds out to your recording device.

Adv off, only if you are NOT recording at 24bits.  If you want to do 24bit you must flip this switch to on.

Optical switch is right for this situation, clearly you would change it to coax if you wanted to record to DAT.  Switch does not matter for USB or analog outputs.

I turn the headphone power off to save batteries.  Check this thread out for the Ultimate UA5 battery ;) http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=19338.0

It's not a bad idea to start the gain nobs around 9-10o'clock until you get used to your rigs hotness.  You may find that you will need to turn it up to get optimum levels.  If you need to turn it up, don't freak out, turn it up slow so your recording doesn't have a major volume jump.  IMO you want the levels around -12 to -6db with some louder peaks not exceeding 0db. 

AKG480->w-UA5->fujitsu lifebook

Offline sweatboard

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2005, 01:08:38 AM »
Can someone tell me about the db's.  I set the db to 0 on my jukebox, correct?  How can I tell what the levels are at to make sure they don't exceed 0db's?  Thanks,

Brian

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2005, 01:45:27 AM »
Here's some whys for anyone that is interested...please correct me if I'm wrong.

Lo-Z because you are using Lo-Z XLR cables to connect your mics to the UA5.

Stereo input because you have 2 mics plugged in.

Analog record source because your mics are sending an analog signal into the UA5, which then coverts the signal to digital using the internal a/d before sending the sounds out to your recording device.

Adv off, only if you are NOT recording at 24bits.  If you want to do 24bit you must flip this switch to on.

Optical switch is right for this situation, clearly you would change it to coax if you wanted to record to DAT.  Switch does not matter for USB or analog outputs.

I turn the headphone power off to save batteries.  Check this thread out for the Ultimate UA5 battery ;) http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=19338.0

It's not a bad idea to start the gain nobs around 9-10o'clock until you get used to your rigs hotness.  You may find that you will need to turn it up to get optimum levels.  If you need to turn it up, don't freak out, turn it up slow so your recording doesn't have a major volume jump.  IMO you want the levels around -12 to -6db with some louder peaks not exceeding 0db. 

Can I ask a question about the UA5 too?  I've been using it for a while, but for some reason I really need to crank the levels.  I'm never below 3 oclock, usually around 4!  Is there some other gain control I'm missing out on?  I'm running the UA5 optical out into the NJB3 line/digital input.  I'm recording medium loud folk/rock shows in small clubs.

The only funny thing is that I'm using the 1/4" TS (unbalanced) connectors on the inputs.  My mics are battery powered, so I've got an adapter that converts 1/8" stereo to 2x1/4".  Is it possible that the gain might be higher for the XLR inputs? I tried an AT853Rx (phantom power) and it seems I still have to turn up the gain quite a bit.  But I haven't tried recording anything with the XLR yet.

Thanks for any help...
  Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Ray76

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2005, 04:22:10 AM »
Can someone tell me about the db's.  I set the db to 0 on my jukebox, correct?  How can I tell what the levels are at to make sure they don't exceed 0db's?  Thanks,

Brian

The upgraded firmware for the jb3 has levels which work pretty well once you know their meaning.
on the jb3, you want to have the levels touching the dotted lines, occasionally going over is ok, so long as it isnt too much.

Ray

Offline Electric Cowgirl

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2005, 02:32:46 PM »
Richard-

I think XLRs will improve your situation, but I don't know that for a fact.  Perhaps you can borrow some to see if your levels are hotter?  Then if you like it you can buy a pair.  If you try this post back and let us know the results :)

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
Re: ua-5 question (what should levels be?)
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2005, 01:32:39 AM »
Richard-

I think XLRs will improve your situation, but I don't know that for a fact.  Perhaps you can borrow some to see if your levels are hotter?  Then if you like it you can buy a pair.  If you try this post back and let us know the results :)

Hi Becky.  XLR did not change the situtation.  I just recorded a very(!) loud show (Rheostatics) in a boomy club and my levels were at 2 O'clock.  This gave perfect levels, with just a few peaks beyond 3dB and no clipping.  I was using AT853Rx (phantom adapters from AT).  These mics are rated at -43dB sensitivity.

I did a simple calculation (correct me if I'm wrong).  Say the gain knob runs from about 7:00 (left, zero gain) to 5:00 (right, max gain).  If the overall gain is from zero to 50dB, then each "clock hour" division should give about 5dB gain.  In that case, 2:00 is approx 35dB gain.  That seems too high considering I'm using a hand built preamp with 20dB gain for line in on my Minidisc.

I wonder if there is something else going on.  There are no other gain controls, right?  I've also got "monitor SW" turned off.

Thanks for any pointers...
  Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440

Offline Electric Cowgirl

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2005, 02:21:22 AM »
Hmmm....there aren't any other gain controls that I know of.  ???  Did you plug the mics directly into the UA5 or did you go into your preamp first?  If the latter, try going right into the UA5.  Let us know the results!

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2005, 02:30:04 AM »
Hmmm....there aren't any other gain controls that I know of.  ???  Did you plug the mics directly into the UA5 or did you go into your preamp first?  If the latter, try going right into the UA5.  Let us know the results!

Yep, mics were directly into the UA5 in both cases.

I was just mentioning the preamp as an example, it seems that 20dB gain is the right value for my recording sessions, yet the UA5 seems to need to be set higher.

I'll do some systematic testing and report back.  What I'm thinking is take a signal, say a tone coming from line out of my soundcard, and input it into my minidisc.  Then insert the UA5 in between and see if I get any gain.  I'll try both analog (line) and optical ouptut of the UA5.

Richard

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com