* oh shoot, now I gotta figure out how to tell you the math part! My apologies for the half-assed nature of this part of my method. Go to VIEW>SET SELECTION FORMAT > SAMPLES (SNAP TO SAMPLES) so you can measure the length of your program in samples. Measure the total length from your sync points early in the file to the desired sync points late in the file. You will get different numbers for each file since they are probably not lined up perfectly due to slight variances in the clock chips of the two recorders. Make a note of each of these numbers. Subtract one from the other to find out the number of samples of drift at the end, and write this number down. Divide the length of the longer one by the length of the shorter source and you will get a number close to but greater than 1.0000000. Let's use an example where you have exactly one second of drift at the end of exactly one hour at 48KHz. The longer file is now 172,848,000 samples and the shorter one is 172,800,000 samples. Divide the long one by the short one and you will get 1.0002788. (If I am getting this right, then) this tells you that you that you need to speed change the longer file by -.02788%
Damn I hope I got that right. Please won't someone troubleshoot my math and let me know the best way to do this???
I'm sure this is a stupid question, but has this process changed in more recent versions of Audacity over the past 4 years? I can't seem to find "set selection format" under "View" in my current version of Audacity. I'm running version 1.3.14 for Mac. Again, sorry for a stupid question.
on the bottom left there are a couple of things. (left to right)
1) Project rate
2) Snap to Grid
3) Selection counter
on the right side of the selection counter is a little black triangle, click that once and then a menu comes up for what you what the display as. Set that to Samples.
Thanks, that helped me get the sample numbers I need, but it seems to fall out of sync even worse I apply the "change speed". Could someone verify that I'm doing this process correctly? Sorry to be such a pain in the ass, this is my first time attempting a matrix. Here's my numbers:
- Longer recording is 292,879,639 samples (From the first sample to the sample that the last beat of music occurs on, with both sources synced up at the beginning)
- Shorter recording is 290,252,451 samples (Under the same circumstances)
- The quotient is 1.0090514
- The percentage change in speed for the longer recording should be -.90514% (Audacity rounds to -.905%)
Am I doing something wrong in this process?