Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: X-box 360 used as a DVD player  (Read 11203 times)

Offline bl6216@yahoo.com

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Photographer:Jim Marshall - Jerry @ Woodstock
X-box 360 used as a DVD player
« on: October 20, 2008, 10:49:44 AM »
I want to know if any one use a x-box 360 as a DVD player. I am thinking about picking one up and was thing if it was better at play back then my Denon DVD-2900 ? Thanks for any of your help.

-Brian
MBHO KA200 N / KA500 HN > Hi Ho Custom Silver Actives > MBHO 603 A > Van Den Hul The Second >  SD722

coming soon Hi Ho Custom Silver Actives

Show I taped on archive.org http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deadhead6216

"We're the first generation that's really capable of saving this music forever. Now is the time because we finally have the digital technology that allows us to preserve it indefinitely. It's also the critical time to do this because the older recordings are really deteriorating. It's an opportunity and it's also a serious responsibility, future generations will hold us responsible for what we do or do not do as far as preserving th

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Jokell
Re: X-box 360 used as a DVD player
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 10:52:02 AM »
The 360 scores pretty poor as an upscaling DVD player.  If you set it to output at 480 and have your TV/receiver do the scaling, you would probably be OK.  I would stick with the Denon, though.
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 12:16:13 PM »
Get a ps3
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 12:42:38 PM »
Get a ps3

There are much better upscaling DVD players than the PS3 for the money you spend.  If all you want is a DVD player get an Oppo.

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 02:49:14 PM »
Get a ps3

There are much better upscaling DVD players than the PS3 for the money you spend.  If all you want is a DVD player get an Oppo.

I disagree .  Many on the AV forums think the PS3 with latest firmware 2.50 has more impressive Chroma upsampling than even the Oppo players...

There are a few technical reviews from the 2.1 firmware days that claim the SD upscailing on the ps3 fails some basic tests (deinterlace and others), but in the real world these specific tests may not matter. Additionally, the firmware keeps getting better and performance is improving...   

The original post indicated he was interested in a game system that would also double as a DVD player.    That leaves the Oppo out and he has a perfectly fine Denon.  The PS3 is a better performer than the 360 for sure...

My $0.02 is that the PS3 is one badass blueray player and a perfectly acceptable SD player...

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 04:33:56 PM »
Then again you can't use a universal remote with the PS3, which really sucks. 

If you feel like spending $400 on a DVD player, then you could do a lot worse than the PS3.  But if you are *just* looking for DVD playback, there is no reason to spend that kind of money.

Offline bl6216@yahoo.com

• Taperssection Member
  • Photographer:Jim Marshall - Jerry @ Woodstock
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 05:07:40 PM »
 I wanted it for games but I was just thing if it would be better for dvd then what I have now. Being that it it is newer and all. Thanks for the help.

-Brian
MBHO KA200 N / KA500 HN > Hi Ho Custom Silver Actives > MBHO 603 A > Van Den Hul The Second >  SD722

coming soon Hi Ho Custom Silver Actives

Show I taped on archive.org http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deadhead6216

"We're the first generation that's really capable of saving this music forever. Now is the time because we finally have the digital technology that allows us to preserve it indefinitely. It's also the critical time to do this because the older recordings are really deteriorating. It's an opportunity and it's also a serious responsibility, future generations will hold us responsible for what we do or do not do as far as preserving th

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 06:20:39 PM »

If you feel like spending $400 on a DVD player, then you could do a lot worse than the PS3.  But if you are *just* looking for DVD playback, there is no reason to spend that kind of money.

Yeah, I agree, the remote issue sucks.  Sometimes the fan is a little noisy too.... 

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 06:22:56 PM »

Yeah, I agree, the remote issue sucks.  Sometimes the fan is a little noisy too.... 

There are hacks around the remote issues, though the easy ones won't power it on and the ones that will aren't cheap. ;)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.103 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com