Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AES-EBU out to Digtal- S/PDIF  (Read 12531 times)

Offline -Q-

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
AES-EBU out to Digtal- S/PDIF
« on: December 23, 2009, 05:17:07 PM »
so a house sound guy stepped on my mini-me (don't ask) he broke my S/PDIF out. can i make a cable  AES-EBU out to feed digtal signal into my R-44? if so can anyone tell me how i could make this a DIY project.
thanks
I  don't know where i'm going but i'll get there.Reid Genauer

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: AES-EBU out to Digtal- S/PDIF
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 05:46:05 PM »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline -Q-

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 11:54:06 AM »
thanks Brian
I  don't know where i'm going but i'll get there.Reid Genauer

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 10:24:07 PM »
If you want to just buy one for $34 they are available from here and other sources.
http://www.fullcompass.com/product/354649.html
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2009, 01:41:36 AM »
You might consider finding out whether the MiniMe outputs AES3 (using 110-ohm cable) or AES3id (uses 75-ohm cable).  If the former, you may want to use the impedance transformer.  If the latter, the cable linked by SmokinJoe will do the trick.  More on the different formats here.

From what I gather, for short runs the plain cable (without impedance transformer) should do fine, but I've not researched the topic thoroughly.  FWIW, using the impedance transformer simply matches the impedance.  And neither cabling solution actually changes the data/format itself.  But the format differences between AES and SPDIF are so minor it's generally not an issue.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009, 07:37:41 AM »
I was talking w/Q off list, and told him that AES >Spdif can't be done w/a cable (as AES is 110ohm, I was under that impression being it a pro standard), vs. the 75ohm coax.

I've never tried to made said cable..., for fear of the impdedence issue.  I used to have a AES>SPDIF converter that dropped the signal down to 75ohms.  I believe that is the "consumer" digital standard vs. the pro industry standard of AES.

but you're saying its been done and works?

Offline andyjah

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 10:25:31 AM »
I was talking w/Q off list, and told him that AES >Spdif can't be done w/a cable (as AES is 110ohm, I was under that impression being it a pro standard), vs. the 75ohm coax.

I've never tried to made said cable..., for fear of the impdedence issue.  I used to have a AES>SPDIF converter that dropped the signal down to 75ohms.  I believe that is the "consumer" digital standard vs. the pro industry standard of AES.

I've run one of these without the transformer for a few years now from the mini-me into the R-44 with no issues.

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 01:35:41 PM »
I've got one that I used with my ADC-20, just gathering dust since nobody seems to want it. You're welcome to give it a try and see if it works.
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 02:17:34 AM »

I've run one of these without the transformer for a few years now from the mini-me into the R-44 with no issues.

I tried going AES/SPDIF out of my minime --- through a properly attenuated 110ohm/75ohm impedance transformer, but then I get a digi-copy error on my D8's............is there anything I can put between that fixes the copy bit?

Kevin
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 06:47:21 AM »
I recently made one for my V3 using a Phillips digital cable, which I assume is 75ohm. I have it coming out of the AES1.  The manual states that the AES1 and S/PDIF outputs both transmit consumer or professional format data while the AES2 connector always transmits professional format data.
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline bgreen

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Live music taper and archivist
    • Live Music Preservation Project
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 08:41:24 AM »
Looking at these to link up my R-4 pro to a tascam HD-P2 and from what I've been told, this is what I need. 

The cable linked by SmokinJoe should be exactly what I need, no?

My only question is that the pic looks like the aes XLR has 4 pins?  R-4 takes three

am I just seeing some optical confusion? Anyone know of one to go from the male output on the R-4 to the tascam as well, I guess it wouldn't make a difference, but I'd rather have the R-4 as the clock instead of the P2.

And before I buy more cables, is there a different way I should be doing this? Sorry for hijacking the thread, but it seems the title is close enough to warrant not starting a new thread :p
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 08:50:02 AM by bgreen »

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 02:29:17 AM »

I tried going AES/SPDIF out of my minime --- through a properly attenuated 110ohm/75ohm impedance transformer, but then I get a digi-copy error on my D8's............is there anything I can put between that fixes the copy bit?

Kevin

Guess not..... :-\
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 02:45:26 PM »
Looking at these to link up my R-4 pro to a tascam HD-P2 and from what I've been told, this is what I need. 

The cable linked by SmokinJoe should be exactly what I need, no?

My only question is that the pic looks like the aes XLR has 4 pins?  R-4 takes three

am I just seeing some optical confusion? Anyone know of one to go from the male output on the R-4 to the tascam as well, I guess it wouldn't make a difference, but I'd rather have the R-4 as the clock instead of the P2.

And before I buy more cables, is there a different way I should be doing this? Sorry for hijacking the thread, but it seems the title is close enough to warrant not starting a new thread :p

You set your P2 to use an external spdif signal as it's clock.  I don't know the R4 does it have Spdif out?  The P2 has menu settings that you can use a spdif signal for clocking, you may have to set up a new project to do it. 

Offline andromedanwarmachine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • waiting for the perfect thunder storm
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 11:13:49 AM »
I'd second that; settings -

I'm unfamiliar with that exact gear and although there are devices that do SCMS stripping and AES-EBU > S/P DIF conversion out there (I run one myself); I'd say something else was going on. It should just work and is certainly not a cable fault.

W'hoa!!  NEVER seen and AES-EBU digital I/P on 4 pin before!
Phillips N2233 "full auto shutoff"> Aiwa HSF-150 (x2)> Sony WM-D6C (x2)> Sony TCD-D3> Sony MZ-R3> Marantz PMD-650> Sony MZ-RH1> HHB Portadisc> Macbook 13"& M-box 2 +ProTools 8! and now Nagra LB!

http://soundcloud.com/andromedanwarmachine
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-scotland
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-the-world

Offline ero3030

• Trade Count: (59)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 02:21:29 PM »
also, make sure u get a female xlr to come out of the pre side.   i have one that was made by audio magic.  not sure if there is anything special about though.  ed
needin some fishhead music!

" known for f**king up a good weekend on a Thursday nite "

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com