Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ALD Receiver  (Read 12765 times)

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
ALD Receiver
« on: September 07, 2010, 03:06:53 PM »
The last time I searched this topic, there was some awful blow back on pretending to be deaf and using one of these devices and taking away the possibility of a deaf guy using it.  Before you guys jump all over this, have any of you considered using a bought and paid for receiver, as opposed to a venue provided headset, like this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CJ8MGM/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

to receive the ALD signals?  Portable and has 17 bands.  Cost is about $230. 

Ideas and comments? 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
Re: ALD Receiver
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 03:16:01 PM »
2 thoughts - no knowledge
first would it get the same freq used by your venue
second does the venue broadcast the signal if no users are using their receiver - it seems like they wouldn't broadcast a signal if no one was on it
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline nameloc01

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Cleveland,USA
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 04:53:30 PM »
dont waste your money..they sound like shit..very flat, high treble..total junk. think about it..how good could the quality be...?? its geared towards the deaf.
good idea in theory, just not worth it at all.
ATu853 (c/o)
Denecke PS-2
Sony MZ-M100 (x2)
Sony PCM M-10
Ixxx XX-X
Ixxx XX-X

https://www.flickr.com/photos/46018790@N03/sets/

Offline slightlys

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 05:46:36 PM »
dont waste your money..they sound like shit..very flat, high treble..total junk. think about it..how good could the quality be...?? its geared towards the deaf.
good idea in theory, just not worth it at all.
Isn't that what post production is for.  ;)
ALDs really do sound like crap.
Peluso CEMC6>Bumblebee MiAGi-II silver clad cables>Bm2p+ mod UA-5 >  OCM R-44

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 08:55:57 PM »
The deaf deserve better.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 11:54:24 AM »
My understanding is that the assisted listening devices are designed for those who have hearing loss, not total deafness.

People with the type of loss these devices are designed for have difficulty with hearing detail through ambient noise. They may wear hearing aids to help with this problem, for instance hearing table converstation in a noisy restaurant. The SPLs of concerts probably overload most hearing aids, so the ALDs are likely the best solution for these folks for live shows.

ALD devices, based on recordings from them I have heard over the years, seem to deliberately target the midrange and upper frequencies. I expect that with the heavy bass present in a concert, the ALD only needs to fill in the mid-range and higher end detail for the user. Probably works just fine in a concert, but take the feed alone and it's thin, nothing like a IEM feed, that is full range.

AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline kingdong

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 05:32:29 PM »
I asked my wife about this as she is an audiologist.  She thought that you are going to typically get somewhere in the 250-6k Hz range with the typical ALD, but none of the higher harmonics.  This was an off-the-cuff answer from her, so there may be some ALD's out there that would have better frequency response.

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 05:40:53 PM »
I consider recording ALD and IEM broadcasts to be highly unethical and am never interested in recordings from these sources. I believe recording these broadcasts may also be criminal and covered under law in the US. Please consider the ethics of this practice when discussing on these forums.

Offline Tim

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 05:48:14 PM »
ALD devices, based on recordings from them I have heard over the years, seem to deliberately target the midrange and upper frequencies. I expect that with the heavy bass present in a concert, the ALD only needs to fill in the mid-range and higher end detail for the user.

this has been my experience.

I asked my wife about this as she is an audiologist.  She thought that you are going to typically get somewhere in the 250-6k Hz range with the typical ALD, but none of the higher harmonics.  This was an off-the-cuff answer from her, so there may be some ALD's out there that would have better frequency response.

that seems reasonable, thanks for asking.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline nameloc01

• Taperssection Member
  • Cleveland,USA
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 07:22:05 PM »
I consider recording ALD and IEM broadcasts to be highly unethical and am never interested in recordings from these sources. I believe recording these broadcasts may also be criminal and covered under law in the US. Please consider the ethics of this practice when discussing on these forums.

remind me never to tell you my glorious tales of bogus air-casts and ankle-wraps then...
ATu853 (c/o)
Denecke PS-2
Sony MZ-M100 (x2)
Sony PCM M-10
Ixxx XX-X
Ixxx XX-X

https://www.flickr.com/photos/46018790@N03/sets/

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 08:24:09 PM »

Is there a civil law or criminal law that you know of, or have in mind, or is this statement a guess?  I'm not trying to be cute here, but honestly want to know. 

My thought is one puts these out over the public airwaves, and like police scanners, there is no legal prohibition from recording them.  But I haven't researched the matter. 

As for ethics, nothing is being stolen; and it may ethically wrong, just like any stealth recording (most forums make an announcement) so I consider it the moral equivalent of a stealth recording.  Ideas? 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 09:44:16 PM »
i heard iems are more of a legal issue vs ald because the iem is ment for personal (band/cordless phone) use where the ald is actually broadcast for others (like a radio)
but thats just what i was told, again i have no actual facts
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Depechemode1993

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 11:39:41 PM »
Quote from: Trent Reznor on IEM's
Here's a thought:
If you're bootlegging a band's in ear monitor mix you are a CUNT. Recording a show from inside the venue is one thing - you're at least stealing something that is COMPLETE or meant to be PRESENTABLE, but tapping into an in-ear mix - something that is NOT to be presented to the world is the same as stealing a demo.
It sucks as an artist to have your work STOLEN by those such as yourselves that feel it's their right to do so, but this just plain fucking sucks and I assure you I will go to whatever lengths I can to shut you down.

obviously he is against IEM taping, but he is cool with audio and video taping.

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 01:37:30 AM »
Definitely not trying to be cute. I'm just a firm believer that recording these sources is not in the best interest of our hobby. I know everything is technically a grey area, but this topic seems to get quite a few artists quite infuriated and could even jeopardize open taping privileges. I beleve dmb once was known for hunting down audience members with IEM receivers and threatening legal action.

Is there a distinction between iems and ALDs ethically? I dunno.

Offline datbrad

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 03:44:41 PM »
Definitely not trying to be cute. I'm just a firm believer that recording these sources is not in the best interest of our hobby. I know everything is technically a grey area, but this topic seems to get quite a few artists quite infuriated and could even jeopardize open taping privileges. I beleve dmb once was known for hunting down audience members with IEM receivers and threatening legal action.

Is there a distinction between iems and ALDs ethically? I dunno.

I agree that IEM sources are not ethical, but I am not as sure about the ALD feeds. There has never been a case I know of where someone getting and/or distributing such sources has met with a problem, unlike the well publicized IEM recording bans.

One thing I do know is that we are free to discuss the merits of ALD recording here, even if we don't practice it. I for one think that ALD sources are usually crappy and the audience recordings sound better. The best example I know of is when Phish played the Patriot Center in Fairfax, VA for the first time in the spring of '94. The ALD feed source from that show is typical of what you can get from that type of source, and my audience master from the OTS sounds much better to my ears. There is almost zero dynamic range in the ALD source, which is typical in my experience.

AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.144 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com