Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Laptop->???->DT150s  (Read 2993 times)

Offline jamroom

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Laptop->???->DT150s
« on: January 02, 2012, 03:14:16 PM »
Hey guys.

I posted this question over on the Head-Fi forum and got next to no answers, so hopefully I might get a little more luck on here.

Next year, I'm likely to be doing more music listening from my laptop when away from home and liek using my Beyerdynamic DT150s, as their closed backs avoid sound leakage. So, what I need now is a headphone amp / usb dac to get the (up to) 24/96 files into my brain in the best possible quality. I was thinking about the NuForce uDAC2 - http://www.nuforce.com/hp/products/iconudac2/

What do you think? I was concerned about volume levels perhaps not being high enough with my cans and low volume shows.

Offline jbou

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Laptop->???->DT150s
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 01:11:38 AM »
There is also the FiiO E10 that has gotten good reviews compared to the nuforce.

Offline jamroom

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 07:11:35 AM »
Thanks for the heads-up. There does seem to be issues with the input jack, but apparently revised units will be ready in Feb. That's a hard price to beat.

However, still tempted by the uDAC2, not least as it has a 1/4" jack socket, rather than needing to use an adaptor to use my DT150s. Just wondering if anyone else on here has used one themselves, specially with regard to live show volume levels.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 07:13:22 AM by jamroom »

Offline tbger

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 10:48:55 AM »
Don't let things like jack-type affect your preferences.  A 1/4" to 1/8" adapter is truly a pain, but you can always make, or have someone make for you, a cable for it.  Not a big deal either way.

Other than that, from technical specifications (sensitivity of the headphone vs. load of the DAC) I think it seems like this one won't be able to driver them very loud, so if you have some low volume live shows I think you might need some more volume, more power for the headphone.  They don't charge (that) much for the amp, so it makes sense in this regard too.  Try something else.  If you have some extra free time I suggest you dig into Head-Fi for awhile, you'll find wide discussions about amplifiers on there.  Give it a try.

Offline jbou

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 12:04:52 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up. There does seem to be issues with the input jack, but apparently revised units will be ready in Feb. That's a hard price to beat.

Crap. Whats wrong with the jacks? I just picked one of these up

Offline jamroom

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 04:51:51 PM »

Crap. Whats wrong with the jacks? I just picked one of these up

Certainly not trying to panic you. I'm sure those with the problem are in a minority. Google "fiio e10 jack" and you'll find the head-fi posts and more.

Thanks for the input simplemind. I just think that my options are rather limited. Tight budget (up to £150), must be a usb dac / headphone amp, with 24/96, ideally a quarter inch jack socket (though not essential - I do have an adaptor), and enough welly so I can actually listen to some lower volume recordings. I probably just need to buy one and see how I get on. If my choice isn't up to the job, I'm sure I can move it on without losing too much.

Offline jbou

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 05:23:59 PM »
No worries. I appreciate the heads up. I went and read a lot over at head-fi today. I actually have been listening to my E-10 for a few hours since reading all of it. So far mine doesn't have any issues. I don't have any of the noise problems when the unit, cable, or jack are moved. Hopefully it stays that way.

Offline jamroom

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 06:40:20 PM »
Seems to affect those who might be moving the dac around a lot. Mine certainly would be sitting static on a table, so no worries there.

Offline jbou

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 07:13:45 PM »
Same here. And I know I have one from the second batch, not the first batch. I don't know if anything changed besides what is printed on the outside of the casing by the bass boost switch

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com