Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: nak cm300 to run on 48v phantom  (Read 4179 times)

Offline scrtaper

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
nak cm300 to run on 48v phantom
« on: March 18, 2017, 11:46:32 PM »
so ive been looking at the schematic for nak cm300 bodies and im curious if anyone has a mod for these to run from a 48v phantom supply or if i just have to do some experiments and post my findings? any help is appreciated thanks
Gafell M94w PM750 cards> Rode M5 > Nak CP-1,CP-2,CP-4 >Superlux S502
Ugly Box 2
Sound Devices Mix Pre 6ii>Tascam DR60D MKII > R-09

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
Re: nak cm300 to run on 48v phantom
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 03:24:34 AM »
Chack out the team Nak threads:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=164175.0;topicseen

The P48 mod does make a big difference in the sound of the mic.  It's not just a phantom power mod, but improves the mic sound as well.  Much more fuller sound, with deep bass and high's recessed.   

I recorded a song with each mic, the Sank P48 and the OEM,  using Shure FP24 > Sony M10, prior to sending them out to Steve.
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 12:52:13 PM »
Wastib62 does a phantom mod with 6db gain over stock for any Nak/primo clone...those mic's need lots of clean gain an the mod addresses that improving the sound IMO

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline Jerseyboy

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 08:01:04 PM »
Wastib62 does a phantom mod with 6db gain over stock for any Nak/primo clone...those mic's need lots of clean gain an the mod addresses that improving the sound IMO

Could someone explain the difference between the Sank & JB mod? I assume both only use the cap section rather than the whole mic body.  I have a mint 3 pack of cm300s and I'm torn on doing the mod on this set...it's literally brand new from a Nak collector.  I purchased another set on ebay, but they lacked the depth & clarity of my mint set.
Can these mods revive a tired set of cm300s?  I like the fact that sank kind of matched the mics. Any help appreciated. I'm waiting to pull the trigger on the mod.

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 08:36:05 PM »
PM Walstib62 for the actual info...

The JB Mod I had was a Phantom Mod...battery and switches removed and a preamp board installed...the body shortened...nothing done on the capsule-barrel end (IICR)

He also does a version of the Ole Franken Mod I've seen referred to as a JB Mod

Offline admkrk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 02:44:44 AM »
I have a mint 3 pack of cm300s and I'm torn on doing the mod on this set...it's literally brand new from a Nak collector.  I purchased another set on ebay, but they lacked the depth & clarity of my mint set.
Can these mods revive a tired set of cm300s?  I like the fact that sank kind of matched the mics. Any help appreciated. I'm waiting to pull the trigger on the mod.

I have been meaning to send Sank a pair for years, money and convenience never seem to match up though. Aside form other things, I would send a set in the worst shape. I have a few with battery crud, that are useless to use with batteries.

There are many reasons a more "tired" set could sound worse, assuming you used the same caps. The most likely reason being a poor power supply. That is just my opinion, so take it for what it is worth.
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline down2earthlandscaper

• Gear Collector (Slut/Hoarder) and Multiple-Rig Maniac
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 03:21:34 AM »
I finally pulled the trigger and just had the Sank mod done on my cm300's and on my Tascam PE120's (Basically a Nak300 clone)
The mod is done to the full body (No "chopping")
I think the sound is better, and it definitely is way more convenient than sourcing and taping together two 6 volt batteries. I don't care that they are still full bodied because the 300's really aren't suited for  >:D >:D

That all being said, I did also happen to aquire a set of chopped 700's that walstib did at some point in the past and I am very happy with those as well!

Here is an excerpt from an email where Stephen explained the mods to me (at this time I was considering modding both my cm700's and cm300's.) I don't think it's my place to list his pricing so I x'd those out, but everything else from the email remains intact, so I hope this will be helpful and informative.

Stephen Sank <varacoustic@yahoo.com>

7/15/15

to me
Know right away that I will NOT do "chops" on the Nak/Primo/Teac/Tascam mics.  I consider it a terrible thing to do to them, plus I don't have time for that sort of custom metalwork.

No problem doing phantom power mods, though.

Normally, phantom mod for the CM100/300 is $xx each.  However, if you want to keep using the CP4 shotgun capsule, that adds a major wrinkle.  The normal mod involves a reconfiguration of the fet head amp, which then gets hardwire-connected down to the output section in the main body.  The CP4 has it's own FET head amp built-in, so maintaining useability of CP4 means not only mod'ing the additional head amp inside the CP4, but also coming up with an inline 2-pin connector, so that the normal preamp head can be unplugged to then plug in the CP4.  So, a "with CP4" phantom mod would be $xxx per mic set.

The CM700 mod costs are the same, with the one additional wrinkle:  If you have/want to use the CM700 with both it's normal AND it's -15dB attenuator heads, it brings up the same issue as with the shotgun capsule, as the -15dB head is a whole alternate head amp.  So, $xx normal, $xxx if you want to maintain swap-ability of straight + -15db heads.  And if you get CP703 shotgun capsules with them, it will add the same amount.

Whatever iteration of the above, my phantom mod will actually improve the sound a bit & will drop the noise floor some, as I allow the fet head amp to run at 20VDC, and I upgrade the output line dc blocking cap that feeds the signal to the output transformer.

Stephen Sank, Owner
Talking Dog Transducer Co.
2112 N. Dragoon St. #13
Tucson, Arizona  [85745]
520-409-4189
Mics: CA-14(cards & omnis) and CA-11(cards & omnis) ; AT853's(cards, hypers, mini shotguns); Busman BSC-1 (cards, hypers, omnis)
Nakamichi CM300's (CP-1,2,3,4) Nakamichi CM700's (cards, omnis)
Tascam PE-120's (cards, omnis) Countryman B2D
DPA 4061's DPA 4022's; DPA 4080; AKG 480 ck61 and ck63; Naiant AKG Active Cables
Preamps: CA-9100; Naiant Tinybox (12v/48v + PIP 8V); Naiant Littlebox;
DPA MPS6030; Sound Device Mix Pre-D
Decks: Mixpre 10T and 6; Roland R-07; Marantz PMD620; Sony PCM M10; Edirol R-4; Zoom H6; Marantz PMD-661; Sound Devices 722

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 03:57:05 AM »
Thinking again about my JB Mod.....I seem to recall that there was a wire to the barrel...and CP-4 was not an option...just like the Sank mod

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com