Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Stuttering while editing HD multicam  (Read 15592 times)

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my list
Re: Stuttering while editing HD multicam
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2012, 11:04:39 PM »
windows 32bit operating systems can not see and use more than 4 gigs of ram.  that is why most folks (like us) use 64bit windows 7.  if you had a 64bit os and more ram it very well may help but I'm not sure.

I have a somewhat older build (early 2008), 8 gigs ddr2 with a core 2 duo 3ghz and SINGLE cam hd footage stutters in vegas 11
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 12:35:37 AM by Gordon »
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2012, 08:21:21 PM »
I have 8 gigs windows 7 64 bit on a sandy bridge i7 2600 3.4 ghz pc. Vegas 11 works great. Even with multi cam HD footage.
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o | ca-14 c
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2012, 12:57:49 AM »
My computer can't playback HD clips well.  So I:

1. Sync and then render each set of HD video clips to SD .avi
2. Slide the HD footage off to the far right of the video project (but keep it in the project on the same line)
3. Insert the newly rendered SD .av footage into the project (using cue points so that it matches the location of its HD counterpart)
4. Do all my mixing using SD footage - which is as smooth as cutting butter with a hot knife
5. Slide the SD footage off to the far right of the video project on the timeline (but leave the composite level envelope in place)
6. Slide the HD footage back to the left side of the timeline where I did all the editing of the SD footage

And now my HD footage is perfectly in sync and all the edit points are right where I want them.  I can't play it back very well because of the stuttering - but so what - I know it's in sync and mixed the way I want it - so I just render it from there - and I'm all set.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline keytohwy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2012, 06:48:39 PM »

2. Slide the HD footage off to the far right of the video project (but keep it in the project on the same line)
3. Insert the newly rendered SD .av footage into the project (using cue points so that it matches the location of its HD counterpart)
4. Do all my mixing using SD footage - which is as smooth as cutting butter with a hot knife
5. Slide the SD footage off to the far right of the video project on the timeline (but leave the composite level envelope in place)
6. Slide the HD footage back to the left side of the timeline where I did all the editing of the SD footage

And now my HD footage is perfectly in sync and all the edit points are right where I want them.  I can't play it back very well because of the stuttering - but so what - I know it's in sync and mixed the way I want it - so I just render it from there - and I'm all set.

This is essentially what the video editing world calls working "offline".  I'm a Mac/FCP user, so I can't speak to specifics, but I would guess that Vegas has an offline format.  Essentially you would work your edits with lower resolution versions, then when you are done, Vegas would pull just the HD frames needed to complete the "online" or full rez version of the video.  Super handy for working on a laptop when hard drive space might be a premium, or, in a situation like yours, where working with full res files just over-taxes the system.

Good luck!

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2012, 10:00:01 PM »

This is essentially what the video editing world calls working "offline".  I'm a Mac/FCP user, so I can't speak to specifics, but I would guess that Vegas has an offline format.  Essentially you would work your edits with lower resolution versions, then when you are done, Vegas would pull just the HD frames needed to complete the "online" or full rez version of the video.  Super handy for working on a laptop when hard drive space might be a premium, or, in a situation like yours, where working with full res files just over-taxes the system.

Good luck!
i dont got how to do this
can you point me in the right direction
tia
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2012, 10:53:06 PM »

Good luck!

You have several options in Vegas for the level of picture quality of the video when playing it back off of the timeline.  It will play "smoothly" at the really low quality setting, however, the picture quality is so poor, that I can't see things well enough to make proper edits.  So I opt for the process I described above.

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline shoestringconcerts

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Shoestringconcerts
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2012, 02:44:49 AM »

Good luck!

You have several options in Vegas for the level of picture quality of the video when playing it back off of the timeline.  It will play "smoothly" at the really low quality setting, however, the picture quality is so poor, that I can't see things well enough to make proper edits.  So I opt for the process I described above.

Randy your workflow is brutal,  just make HDV or avi proxy files and work with those and when it is time to render redirect to the original files.  If you are working with mts master files then you can rename the .m2t or .mp4 proxy files to .mts and when its time to render from masters you just rename the proxy folder and tell it to use the original files
Tascam dr2d - Tascam Dr60
Video: Canon M50/M500 (5)
Panasonic LX7 (2) - Sony EOS-M (2)
Sony HC1 - Panasonic SD600 - Sanyo FH1
www.shoestringconcerts.com

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2012, 11:43:15 AM »

Good luck!

Randy your workflow is brutal,  just make HDV or avi proxy files and work with those and when it is time to render redirect to the original files.  If you are working with mts master files then you can rename the .m2t or .mp4 proxy files to .mts and when its time to render from masters you just rename the proxy folder and tell it to use the original files

I'm not familiar with the proxy files.  I'll have to look into it.

Offline keytohwy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2012, 03:20:03 PM »

Good luck!
tia

Will, if you are asking about the Final Cut Pro workflow for offline editing, check this out:

http://documentation.apple.com/en/finalcutpro/usermanual/index.html#chapter=91%26section=2%26tasks=true

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2012, 09:38:50 PM »

Good luck!
tia

Will, if you are asking about the Final Cut Pro workflow for offline editing, check this out:

http://documentation.apple.com/en/finalcutpro/usermanual/index.html#chapter=91%26section=2%26tasks=true
thanks
I'll check it out
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

• Taperssection Regular
    • Shoestringconcerts
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2012, 03:30:34 PM »

Good luck!

Randy, what you described was creating proxy files,  you just do it a long way.  I was offering you a simpler way of doing it

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2012, 01:04:27 PM »

Good luck!

Randy, what you described was creating proxy files,  you just do it a long way.  I was offering you a simpler way of doing it
Typically when I'm working on a multi-cam, there are at least a couple of dozen video files.  Sometimes it's upward of 100 files when it's a 5-6 cam mix.  The way I do it now - it's one proxy .avi file for each angle - which makes it easy to work with (IMO). 

So my question: with your method - do you have to encode the files one at a time?

Online beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2012, 03:18:05 PM »
Just so i understand are you synching the HD clips(which are segmented...not continuous...and or have breaks)each into its own SD counterpart OR synching all segmented HD clips into the proper position and then making one long SD clip for each angle?If Yes and your having trouble with playback of the HD clips it seems that snching at that point would be prblematic.

So if you are making individual SD files for each HD clip than all you'd have to do in the project media(pool) is go to the SD clips and right click)choose replace media and point to the original HD clips.

I think your workflow if it works for you is good though.

I use scripts so my workflow is different  altogether.

• Taperssection Regular
    • Shoestringconcerts
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2012, 03:51:16 PM »

Good luck!

Typically when I'm working on a multi-cam, there are at least a couple of dozen video files.  Sometimes it's upward of 100 files when it's a 5-6 cam mix.  The way I do it now - it's one proxy .avi file for each angle - which makes it easy to work with (IMO). 

So my question: with your method - do you have to encode the files one at a time?

You can use Batch render in SVP to create the proxy files, for the U2 Anaheim multicam I have something like 180 files to transcode

Online beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2012, 05:01:55 PM »
is SVP meaning sony veags pro?and if yes i have only seen batch render make a file into many different formats but not  a way to choose a bunch of files and make 1 format?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com