Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 1 keyboard > 2 computers  (Read 2932 times)

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
1 keyboard > 2 computers
« on: October 16, 2012, 07:32:43 PM »
I need to send qwerty commands to 2 laptops at once.  A KVM switch is not what I need in this situation. I've researched this pretty heavily... Most of the software options simply won't work. 

I think it's as easy as splicing a USB keyboard cable to 2 outputs, but am not sure if this will work.

I don't need mouse functionality... The 2 laptops will be sitting next to each other.  So I need something simple. 

Btw this is all part of a playback rig for firing sound cues in live shows.  2 laptops running playback software.. One of them is backup. 

Any ideas?

Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
Re: 1 keyboard > 2 computers
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 03:20:13 PM »
i know you said software won't work is that because there's no LAN?

check out http://synergy-foss.org/ if you do have LAN connection.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 05:33:13 PM »
I use Remote Desktop to control my other computer.

Are you looking to send the exact same command at the exact same time? If that is the case I don't have an answer for you. Not sure if you can send commands via terminal to 2 devices at once. Maybe look into that.

At this point I really only fire up the extra computer and remote into for buying hot concert tickets via TM.com. I remote into the second computer and put it on full screen on a second monitor.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 06:11:08 PM »
I need to send qwerty commands to 2 laptops at once.  A KVM switch is not what I need in this situation. I've researched this pretty heavily... Most of the software options simply won't work. 

I think it's as easy as splicing a USB keyboard cable to 2 outputs, but am not sure if this will work.

I don't need mouse functionality... The 2 laptops will be sitting next to each other.  So I need something simple. 

Btw this is all part of a playback rig for firing sound cues in live shows.  2 laptops running playback software.. One of them is backup. 

Any ideas?

We use Power Point and a remote control for these kind of cues...but we dont run backup.

Perhaps there is a wireless remote that can control 2 receivers?

We use this

http://www.amazon.com/Remote-Control-Wireless-Presentation-Presenter/dp/B006Q6HTDI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1350944098&sr=8-2&keywords=presentation+remote+controls

Guess this doesnt help much if you really need qwerty stuff...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 06:17:32 PM by runonce »

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 07:01:03 PM »
Thought this question looked familiar.

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php?topic=140368.0

Did the Perfect Cue solution not work for you?

I have to agree with Mac that midi is the best solution.

While this board is full of smart people in all sorts of professions, I'd tend to go with the combined production experience of the crew on the prosoundweb.com forums. Mac kerr in particular is a fount of knowledge.
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 08:53:51 PM »
Thought this question looked familiar.

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php?topic=140368.0

Did the Perfect Cue solution not work for you?

I have to agree with Mac that midi is the best solution.

While this board is full of smart people in all sorts of professions, I'd tend to go with the combined production experience of the crew on the prosoundweb.com forums. Mac kerr in particular is a fount of knowledge.

Perfect cue was a good suggestion but it can only send 3 "commands" at a time.  I have 20+ files that are mapped to this software and I need to be able to cue them at any point.  Midi could work but it'd be expensive and impractical for this.  I really just need a qwerty keyboard with 2 outputs.

I don't see the harm in cross posting this... this is a question that can be solved by computer savvy people which populate this board.  It was worth asking in both places.  I also have a similar thread on gearslutz  ;)

Thanks for responses.  I'm more and more inclined to carry 2 usb keyboards on this tour and trigger them both manually.
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com