Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 3D printing: Can it benefit the tapers?  (Read 4643 times)

Offline Popmarter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
3D printing: Can it benefit the tapers?
« on: November 28, 2012, 01:59:03 PM »
Hi all, not sure if this it the right place, but I have been fooling around with some 3D software (Sketchup) and got it printed in 3D. (at www.shapeways.com)

Remember, i am not a professional designer, and this was my very first attempt on creating something in 3D. A Taperssection key fob :)

It's certainly not perfect, but it did came out the way I designed it: very tiny! I got 2 prints, one in a material called "Alumide" and the other being "White Strong & Flexible Polished". The grey Alumide came out a bit better, but the design was a bit to small to have excellent results (the numbers are not readable). But still I am happy with the results. I am on my way to design other stuff, but first I wanted to share this with you.

3D printing is relative easy (I am sure there are some designers here) and maybe it can benefit in one way or the other as it comes to custom designs for a small group of customers.

I think about: custom designed mounts, custom designed cases/boxes. Any other idea's or needs?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 02:14:40 PM by popmarter »
Recorders: Zoom F3; SD MixPre 3 II; Sony A10; Edirol R44; Sony M10; Sony WM-D6; iRiver IHP-120; Sharp MD-MT20; Sharp MD-MT190
Microphones: Schoeps MK41; Nevaton MC59/S (cards); Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 7.4mod (cards); AT831 (cards); Nakamichi CM300 (all CP's); Soundman OKM II Rock Studios
Preamps: Beyerdynamic MV100; JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b; Naiant IPA; Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use ; Baby Nbox

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
Re: 3D printing: Can it benefit the tapers?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 03:07:19 PM »
I had a job where I set up a Universal Laser Marking system to laser mark ceramic parts ten years ago. I was able to get similar results with that.
What machine do you use?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 03:09:16 PM by Chuck »
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Popmarter

• Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 03:16:26 PM »
This was not printed by myself, but at Shapeways. There are 3d printers available for personal use. Not sure if they are capable of this, but probaly will be in the near future.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 04:55:26 AM by popmarter »
Recorders: Zoom F3; SD MixPre 3 II; Sony A10; Edirol R44; Sony M10; Sony WM-D6; iRiver IHP-120; Sharp MD-MT20; Sharp MD-MT190
Microphones: Schoeps MK41; Nevaton MC59/S (cards); Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 7.4mod (cards); AT831 (cards); Nakamichi CM300 (all CP's); Soundman OKM II Rock Studios
Preamps: Beyerdynamic MV100; JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b; Naiant IPA; Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use ; Baby Nbox

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 03:19:31 PM »
I've done some research on this in the hopes of making parts for active cable components and a few other things. The technology is improving daily and quite promising.

For active mounts (i.e. the delrin kwon/nola bars), the primary issue seems to be the strength of the resulting material. They do make 3d printing materials that have the equivalent strength of delrin or steel (i.e. if you're jay leno... car parts), however it generally requires a machine with more professional features than you're average makerbot consumer machine as more durable materials require significantly higher melting temps.

Those are some really cool designs! I smell a retail thread on the horizon. :)

Marshall7

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 03:49:13 PM »
We've recently purchased a 3D printer at work.  Seems like the possibilities going forward are endless for this technology.

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 04:49:58 PM »
We've recently purchased a 3D printer at work.  Seems like the possibilities going forward are endless for this technology.

Some of the more porous 3D printing methods lent themselves well to immersing the printed model in thin polyurethane and/or cyanoacrylate, back in the day......you could run a 5/8"-27 tap through afterwards.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline eman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Return of the Shredi
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 06:50:37 PM »
My friend is selling 3D camera accessories on B&H that he makes with several printers in his house. They are of a type where an x-y head lays down a layer of powdered plastic resin and cures the areas that need to be solid with a laser. Then you pull the finished part out of the powder. If anyone is thinking of producing some recording products I can find out what machine he uses. The powder is ridiculously expensive, and drives the cost of the parts. He also said he would make me stuff for cost  :) thanks for reminding me.
Theologically speaking, the two parties have divided the Seven Deadly Sins as follows: Republicans oppose lust, sloth and envy; Democrats scorn gluttony, greed, wrath and pride. Little progress is reported. -Gene Lyons

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 04:40:46 AM »
This is great!  Can you print an E.A.A. PSP-2 for me?  I would like another one if mine breaks one day.  Also, a pair of Microtech Gefell active cables would be nice.  Thanks in advance and please PM me when everything is ready.

Oh, I'll also take a Real Doll in the "White Strong & Flexible Polished" material, please.  Gets kind of lonely without female companionship here in Afghanistan.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 04:42:32 AM by jlykos »
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 11:41:20 AM »
I was thinking about this for the concentric plastic isolator blocks required in active connectors... like the AKG active project.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 11:42:40 AM »
I was thinking about this for the concentric plastic isolator blocks required in active connectors... like the AKG active project.

Yes. Same for the nylon inserts on schoeps actives.

Offline Popmarter

• Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 12:33:09 PM »

I am not sure what you guys mean by nylon inserts or blocks, i am not familiar with that yet. Any pictures, maybe I can try something? There are different materials possible. Even silver.

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 12:41:07 PM »

I am not sure what you guys mean by nylon inserts or blocks, i am not familiar with that yet. Any pictures, maybe I can try something? There are different materials possible. Even silver.

Here's the bottom view of one from an AKG Blueline active...
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline followinbob

• Trade Count: (45)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 01:51:10 PM »
you don't need a 3d printer to make insulators inpregnated with a conductor. faster to make it another way.
schoeps cmc-6/mk4----->sound devices 722  stealth

schoeps cmc-6/mk4--->lunatec v3----> sound devices 722  open recording

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 06:46:19 AM »
might be able to make some active mounts or something....?
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 09:23:07 AM »
might be able to make some active mounts or something....?

yeah, I think the kwonbars are the best example of what you could do with this since the bars don't have to be super strong, just resilient enough to pinch on the proper mic components. Instead of doing an order of 50 which essentially only work with one or two mic setups, you could save designs for 8 or 9 and then just print on demand.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.182 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com