Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Zoom H6  (Read 61096 times)

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: New Zoom H6
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2013, 08:27:54 AM »
I gotta wonder if the lack of phantom on the XLR module is real...?

No doubt its available at the snap on connector...otherwise how would the other mic attachments work?

And this Sweetwater piece seems to make a different claim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo7Je0WmCAU

Chimney Top

« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2013, 08:13:12 PM »
I just noticed that the latest blurb indicates no phantom on the plug-in preamp module.
Indeed, it states specifically that there's no phantom on that module.  That will be a dealbreaker for some users (me for instance - I already have a recorder with four phantom powered inputs, and would have no use for an unpowered pair in addition).

so 4 inputs with phantom, and 2 without?  ... you don't need phantom power going from an external preamp to H6 or sound board line out > H6.

Offline kenyee

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2013, 12:06:02 PM »
I gotta wonder if the lack of phantom on the XLR module is real...?
No doubt its available at the snap on connector...otherwise how would the other mic attachments work?

Maybe the connector only includes 12V power pins to power the mic attachment preamps?
I agree it doesn't make sense not to route phantom power to the pins as well though.

And AFAIK, the lack of phantom power on the XLR module is documented now...Sweetwater's blurb was before we first heard of this.  B&H should have mentioned it though.

Online WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2013, 07:39:16 PM »
Just got a notification from B&H that they're in and shipping, I should have one on Tuesday (I guess you could run in Sunday and pick one up if you're really hot to trot).

Jeff

Offline 404 Not Found

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2013, 07:33:25 AM »
Sweetwater has in stock too.  At the price they are selling them for, I had to buy one just to test it for myself.  Should have on Tue. as well
Recorders: Alesis HD24XR | Marantz PMD661 (Oade Warm Mod) | Sound Devices 552 |Zoom F8 | Zoom H6
Pre-Amp/Mic Mixers/PS: Sound Devices 552 | Sound Devices MixPre-D | Shure FP33 | Audix APS911's | Audio Technica AT8501
Mics: Telefunken M60 FET MP/TK62's  | Miktek C5 MP's | Neumann  KM100/AK40's AK43's AK45's | Audix M1255B's | Audix M1280B's | Sennheiser K3-U/ME-20's 40's & 80's | Shure VP88
Stands-Poles: Manfrotto 3361 (8') | Manfrotto 1004BAC (13') | K-Tek KE79CC Traveler Boom Pole (1.8 - 6.7' )| K-Tek KEG150CCR Carbon fiber boom pole (12.6')

LMA: https://archive.org/bookmarks/Adam%20Axel

Team Philly!

***Team Telefunken***

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2013, 08:49:13 AM »
You don't need anything like phantom to power mics - "plug in power" is less than 2 volts - I think....

Offline yoclay

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2013, 05:05:38 PM »
So does anyone actually have a real idea of what the noise floor and DB range is on this unit?

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2013, 07:45:14 PM »
Given that a very basic recorder these days will provide more dynamic range than you can actually use, I doubt whether the H6 will have significant problems with noise etc.

Offline kenyee

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2013, 09:56:37 PM »
Given that a very basic recorder these days will provide more dynamic range than you can actually use, I doubt whether the H6 will have significant problems with noise etc.

The old H4 had a reputation for being a bit noisey...I think that's why people are wondering.

That said, A/D chips and design are a lot better now if the DR100mkII and Panasonic are any indication...

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #69 on: July 29, 2013, 11:34:56 PM »
from Zoom's site, the XLR/TRS combo does not provide phantom power http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/h6/
If you need more inputs, simply plug in the optional EXH-6 Dual XLR/TRS Combo capsule. It allows you to connect up to six discrete signals from external microphones, instruments, mixers or portable music players, making the H6 the smallest six-track recorder on the planet!

Note: The EXH-6 does not support phantom power.

Offline Jonmac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2013, 10:41:41 AM »
I suspect that you could connect a soundboard feed, or two more mics via an external preamp, or a 'Plugin Power' mic, to the MIC/LINE input jack of the XY mic module, and record a full 6 tracks.

That would be nice.
Zoom H1, Zoom H2, Zoom H6, Tascam DR-40, Tascam Dr-05, Homebrew mic's, C2 Cardioids

Offline noam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2013, 11:12:48 AM »
... if the DR100mkII and Panasonic are any indication...
What Panasonic?

Noam

Offline kenyee

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #72 on: July 30, 2013, 11:21:16 AM »
What Panasonic?

Sorry..I meant Olympus' LS-100    :-\

Offline vegeta_ban

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #73 on: July 30, 2013, 09:27:46 PM »
I got my new Zoom H6 in today. It is heavier than it looks and feels sturdy. I tried out the XY and MS mics just with my voice and they sound decent. I will be testing it with my telefunkens, nak 300/100s, and Superlux mics tomorrow to see how they sound with music playing on my speakers.  I did test it on both AA batteries and USB power. I have an energizer expal battery that will power it for any show lengths (it can power a large laptop for an additional 4 hours so I'm not worried about phantom power usage plus the AA will be backup to the external power)

I was surprised that it has a speaker for playback. I don't remember reading about that in any of the info.

The extra XLR input module was on backorder from B&H so I haven't tested that yet either.

I'm looking forward to this, now i'll be able to record all my mics at each show  :P
Mics: Telefunken ELA M 260 Field Kit; Nakamichi cm 100/CP4 shotgun (CP 1&2); Nakamichi Cm 300 (CP 1, 2, & 3) x3  JB phantom power mod; Nakamichi Cm 1000s; Superlux CMH8K
Recorders: Sound Devices 722; Zoom F8; Edirol R44 Oade Concert Mod; Digimod UA5>Nomad Jukebox 3 (or Archos 605 wifi); Zoom H2; Zoom H6
Camcorder: Panasonic PV-GS300
Camera: Fujifilm X-E1 & various lenses; Fujifilm s100fs; Fujifilm S7000
Misc: Beachtek SVU-2

Offline 404 Not Found

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #74 on: August 01, 2013, 09:50:06 AM »
Got my H6 yesterday and had the chance to examine and test some things as well. 

It is a sturdy recorder in the manner of how it feels in hand, although I really am not impressed by the SD card door, as it will most likely in time simply rip off from the H6 body.  I would have preferred them to have had an actual hinged door as they do on the Marantz PMD661.  The 5v USB power was easily supplied using my Tekkeon MP3450, so no issues there.

The menu functions are very easy to access and change.  I did happen to like the virtual VU meters they had too, although I am not sure why it was necessary to add them in the manner of which they did.  I will most likely never use the metronome or tuner they have, but for a musician, it can be a nice bonus to have all in one.

Come this weekend weather permitting, I will try it out on an outdoor gig.

I do like that the size of this recorder, as the Roland R4 (not the R4 Pro, but the big clunky R4) I have is a dinosaur compared to this for portability and stealth matters.

The extra XLR input module should be shipping in the next weeks?

Recorders: Alesis HD24XR | Marantz PMD661 (Oade Warm Mod) | Sound Devices 552 |Zoom F8 | Zoom H6
Pre-Amp/Mic Mixers/PS: Sound Devices 552 | Sound Devices MixPre-D | Shure FP33 | Audix APS911's | Audio Technica AT8501
Mics: Telefunken M60 FET MP/TK62's  | Miktek C5 MP's | Neumann  KM100/AK40's AK43's AK45's | Audix M1255B's | Audix M1280B's | Sennheiser K3-U/ME-20's 40's & 80's | Shure VP88
Stands-Poles: Manfrotto 3361 (8') | Manfrotto 1004BAC (13') | K-Tek KE79CC Traveler Boom Pole (1.8 - 6.7' )| K-Tek KEG150CCR Carbon fiber boom pole (12.6')

LMA: https://archive.org/bookmarks/Adam%20Axel

Team Philly!

***Team Telefunken***

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com