Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Video taping help, stealth and otherwise  (Read 3901 times)

Offline Billster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Never coming down
Video taping help, stealth and otherwise
« on: March 29, 2004, 01:13:13 PM »
K, total taping newbie here, so be patient with me...

I've hatched a plan to follow around one of my favorite bands in the world on tour in a month or two...(smaller indie band)....I am going to videotape them at 3-4-5 shows and master each to DVD....

Now, my Q is, at this point I'm trying to get formal permission from the band to openly tape (videotape) the shows.  If I get that permission I'll be taping openly; if I don't, I'll be stealth taping.

What are some good cameras for open taping and what for stealth taping?  

If you could provide some model names, price ranges and links I'd be so grateful.  I look to this place as a good way/the best way to get started figuring out exactly what I need and what's available to me.

Thanks in advance.

Billster

Offline formengr

• Taperssection Regular
Re:Video taping help, stealth and otherwise
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2004, 06:05:47 PM »
I'm really interested in what sort of stealth video rigs people use as well.  Seems like Canon ZR-50's are used alot, likely because they are very small.  What I am looking for is one that has mic/line in & minimum 16 bit/44.1 kHz audio as well as the fattest CCD i can get into that little package. Anyone? It seems that sort of info is a little more hard to come by than strictly audio type info.  Any suggestions are appreciated.

form
participo ergo sum
evrything in its right place

Offline tooldvn

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Music is the movement of sound to reach the soul.
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2004, 12:58:23 AM »
I use the Sony TRV-33, for both applications. It has a megapixel ccd, which is really pretty sharp for dvds, its small, but still has all the features of the big models, touch screen, etc.  Right now going for about $520. MiniDV format, widescreen, allows you to plug in an external mic.  You are better off having a 2nd person run the stealth audio or allowed stand audio. Just mate that later with your vid for the dvd. It's very easy to do, especially with only the one angle.

-dvn
DPA 4061²  &  AKG 61/63

Offline formengr

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2004, 10:13:34 PM »
Thanks for the response. Agreed about the sepaerate sources, but my wife's my concert buddy & she's just not there quite yet, but i'm working her.  ;)
participo ergo sum
evrything in its right place

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2004, 02:22:11 PM »
sony cameras are pretty safe for video cameras. you really can't go wrong with most of them.  i own a trv18 which was at the time the lowest model available at the time and it's served me well in terms of sharpness and picture.  i dunno if it's still the case, but i found out that the models in the range of trv18 to trv20s that the video quality was the same in all models, you basically payed more for better quality still photos.

for sonys mini-dvs tend to be smaller in size, but zooms max out at 10x.  digi8s are larger but larger zooms.

Offline Justy Gyee

• Taperssection Member
    • justys llama
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2004, 11:36:32 PM »
i like to take a extra tshirt and hat with me when i try and stealth a show with my camera, using the shirt to cover the tripod legs and the hat to cover the camera, i also take a small black cloth that i drap over the body of the camera to cut down on refletiveness.
be creative.
hope this helps out.
~justin
if it aint broke, don't fix it

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com