Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Gear Bag Suggestions?  (Read 13147 times)

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Gear Bag Suggestions?
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2014, 09:43:52 PM »
I am looking for a new gear bag as well, as I just got another UA-5. so I am looking for a good gear bag that can carry 2 UA-5, 2 DVD BATTS, 2 R-09, 2 sets of mics, misc stuff (tbar, shock mounts, extra aa batts). any suggestions?
nova 5 would be the smallest you would want to go as far as the nova line is concerned
I used the 5 with a ua5/DVD, svu2, jb3, the rest of stuff needed
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline thekittycatt

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2014, 09:54:50 PM »
If it's for open taping, Kata Sundo 2. Period.

It is a little pricey, but Kata Sundo 2 is great.  Clear top that zips shut.  2 side pockets & a front pocket that zip shut with all 3 pockets having access to the main compartment.  I have had some friends(tapers) spill drinks on it with nothing getting inside.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2014, 02:01:20 AM »
Oh no! Why did you have to tell me about a smaller Kata bag?   ;D

Based on my experience with the Sundo line, I would buy anything Kata makes in a heartbeat. Rugged, durable, just all around excellent. That said, my small bag is a LowePro (I think it's a Nova 5, but don't quote me) and it also does a fine job.

Ive had some Kata bags over the years, and I always sell them quickly! The reason why is that the clear vinyl cover to protect your gear isnt long enough on the ends. Liquids can still get in on each side of the clear window. Thats why I like my Lowepro camera bags! You can close the top and dont have to worry about anything getting into your gear bag and getting anything wet. But, when Ive owned the Petrol and PB bags, they seemed to cover the gear a lil better. If I had more gear, or both of my rigs in one bag, Id probably shell out for a nice Petrol, but for $250+, I'll stick with my Lowepro camera bags, because theyve been tested tried and true, and NOTHING gets into my bags unless I want it to 8)

But, as long as its working for your needs, then thats all that really matters :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2014, 03:03:34 AM »

Based on my experience with the Sundo line, I would buy anything Kata makes in a heartbeat. Rugged, durable, just all around excellent. That said, my small bag is a LowePro (I think it's a Nova 5, but don't quote me) and it also does a fine job.

Ive had some Kata bags over the years, and I always sell them quickly! The reason why is that the clear vinyl cover to protect your gear isnt long enough on the ends. Liquids can still get in on each side of the clear window. Thats why I like my Lowepro camera bags! You can close the top and dont have to worry about anything getting into your gear bag and getting anything wet. But, when Ive owned the Petrol and PB bags, they seemed to cover the gear a lil better. If I had more gear, or both of my rigs in one bag, Id probably shell out for a nice Petrol, but for $250+, I'll stick with my Lowepro camera bags, because theyve been tested tried and true, and NOTHING gets into my bags unless I want it to 8)

But, as long as its working for your needs, then thats all that really matters :)

As an owner of both the Sundo 1 and 2, this is not true of these particular bags. The plastic vinyl is double stitched around its entire circumference and will not let anything through.

Not sure about their other products, but the sundo line is perfect for what we do.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2014, 03:38:35 PM »

As an owner of both the Sundo 1 and 2, this is not true of these particular bags. The plastic vinyl is double stitched around its entire circumference and will not let anything through.

Not sure about their other products, but the sundo line is perfect for what we do.

^^ This. And, I have had drinks spilled directly on mine multiple times, not to mention having it rained on pretty hard, and everything inside stayed high and dry.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline NSL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2014, 10:34:55 PM »
Ended up going with the Kata bag  8)
Instagram
Berliner CM-33's > Naiant Littlebox > Sony PCM-M10

Offline 612

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Minneapolis, MN
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2014, 11:50:53 AM »
I'm about to retire the trusty Lowepro Nova 5 AW bag that I bought new for ~$80 at a camera store in downtown Minneapolis during the spring of 2006. It's been my only gear bag for the past 8 years and although she looks a little tattered she's served me well. The prior 2 years of ste@lthing didn't require a bag of course.

Also semi-retiring the UA-5 + DVD batt combo for a smaller all in one pre so the biggest items in my bag will be a pair of 414s + cables + T-bar/shocks. I certainly trust the Lowepro Nova Series so I'm heading over to their site to see what they have on the smaller side of things.

Hmm... The Nova 5 has been discontinued and replaced by the Nova 200 AW. Looks like the Nova 160 AW is the smaller version of that. For $59.99 I think I'm sold come payday.

Edit: Ohhh, $49.95 + free shipping at B&H. Thanks B&H.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 11:54:40 AM by empty »
Empty's Tapes & My recordings on the LMA

"Keep active, stay positive..." - a wise man

Offline 612

• Minneapolis, MN
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2014, 12:55:42 PM »
OK, I definitely want to get a smaller bag for this smaller rig. The 180, 190 and 200 are all bigger then what I currently need. I'm assuming that the Nova 140 AW would be too small so now it's between the Nova 160 and Nova 170. I wish I bad both of them in front of me at a brick & mortar store but I don't. The 160 and 170 overviews online are pretty much identical, it just seems that the dimensions of the 170 are a little bit bigger and it's also $5 more on B&H for example. Maybe the 170 beats out the 160 based solely on a little extra room...

Offline 612

• Minneapolis, MN
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2014, 03:37:59 PM »
Don't mind me, I'm just bag shoppin'. I'll put this here in case anyone else comes along and is curious...

Nova 140 AW    Interior: 6.7W x 3.9D x 6.7H in. / 17 x 10 x 17 cm
     Exterior: 8.3W x 6.7D x 8.7H in. / 21 x 17 x 22 cm
Nova 160 AW    Interior: 7.9W x 4.3D x 6.7H in. / 20 x 11 x 17 cm
     Exterior: 9.4W x 6.9D x 8.7H in. / 24 x 17.5 x 22 cm
Nova 170 AW    Interior: 8.5W x 4.5D x 8.1H in. / 21.5 x 11.5 x 20.5 cm
     Exterior: 9.5W x 7.1D x 9.6H in. / 24.2 x 18 x 24.5 cm
Nova 180 AW    Interior: 9.4W x 5.9D x 7.9H in. / 24 x 15 x 20 cm
     Exterior: 11W x 8.9D x 9.4H in. / 28 x 22.5 x 24 cm
Nova 190 AW    Interior: 11.4W x 6.3D x 7.9H in. / 29 x 16 x 20 cm
     Exterior: 13W x 9.3D x 9.4H in. / 33 x 23.5 x 24 cm
Nova 200 AW    Interior: 13.6W x 7.1D x 9.1H in. / 34.5 x 18 x 23 cm
     Exterior: 15W x 9.1D x 10.2H in. / 38 x 23.2 x 25.8 cm

Offline nameloc01

• Taperssection Member
  • Cleveland,USA
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2014, 04:16:14 PM »
OK, I definitely want to get a smaller bag for this smaller rig. The 180, 190 and 200 are all bigger then what I currently need. I'm assuming that the Nova 140 AW would be too small so now it's between the Nova 160 and Nova 170. I wish I bad both of them in front of me at a brick & mortar store but I don't. The 160 and 170 overviews online are pretty much identical, it just seems that the dimensions of the 170 are a little bit bigger and it's also $5 more on B&H for example. Maybe the 170 beats out the 160 based solely on a little extra room...

I have a 170.. its a pretty nice bag.. for its compact size, it can hold quite a bit of stuff. ( I have (3) recording decks, another moderately sized electronic "device", a Superclamp, 2-3  dry battery docks,mics, extra caps ,a PS2, 2 or 3 A/C chargers, a multitude of connectors/cables/plugs/adaptors/ect, windscreens, tape, velcro straps,batteries,manuals amongst a bunch of other stuff in mine, and it can still hold more if need be)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 04:17:54 PM by nameloc01 »
ATu853 (c/o)
Denecke PS-2
Sony MZ-M100 (x2)
Sony PCM M-10
Ixxx XX-X
Ixxx XX-X

https://www.flickr.com/photos/46018790@N03/sets/

Offline 612

• Minneapolis, MN
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2014, 04:55:09 PM »
^ Wow, you just sold me on the 170. Thank you nameloc01.

Offline nameloc01

• Taperssection Member
  • Cleveland,USA
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2014, 09:05:00 PM »
^ Wow, you just sold me on the 170. Thank you nameloc01.

I forgot to mention my mounts and T-bar are in there also.  ;)

you're welcome.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 09:07:08 PM by nameloc01 »
ATu853 (c/o)
Denecke PS-2
Sony MZ-M100 (x2)
Sony PCM M-10
Ixxx XX-X
Ixxx XX-X

https://www.flickr.com/photos/46018790@N03/sets/

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • it's recreational
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2014, 09:38:26 AM »
Here's a pic of a Petrol PS602 bag I got a few months ago.  At first I was kind of bummed because I thought it was a bit too big but after using it a few times I don't really feel that way anymore.  I took the external pockets on the sides off.  The 680 fits a little better than the 60D since it's not as tall as the 60D but overall I really like how adjustable and accessible the Petrol is.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com