Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 0 byte WAV file problem - many things tried - none worked  (Read 7778 times)

Offline LikeASong

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • U2start.com
0 byte WAV file problem - many things tried - none worked
« on: September 25, 2013, 09:43:26 AM »
Hi there!

I recorded a huge act at the awesome Aviva Stadium in Dublin last week, and there was a scheduled intermission during the show so I stopped the recording, aiming to resume it later. When I stopped it, the recorder (Tascam DR-08) didn't work as usual, but instead shown me an error message that I can't remember word by word, but something like "Can't write file". It was a freshly formatted micro SD card (formatted by the recorder itself) and I was bummed that the first part of the recording had been "lost".

But oh, oh, when I got home and checked the SD card, it seems that the disk space is THERE, t'was consumed after all - I attach a screenshot. The first file (pre-concert levels checking, settings, etc) is fine. The second file (first part of the show) is empty. Third file is the 2nd part of the concert recorded and it's fine (besides a battery fail that cut the last 10 minutes of it, but anyway, that's another matter and completely my fault).

It's pretty important to recover this recording, not only because it was a primal concert and almost the end of a 3 years world tour, but also it was very intense personally speaking. I'm quite desperate as to what to do right now

What I've tried so far:

-open the file as a standard audio file with Audacity - NO SUCCESS
-import the file as raw file with Audacity, trying different settings - NO SUCCESS
-recover the file with Back2Life - NO SUCCESS
-play it on VLC - NO SUCCESS
-convert it with Format Factory, Little Traders Help, etc - NO SUCCESS

Any ideas, anyone? Thanks in advance ;D
The worst things in the world are justified by belief.
-U2

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
-Aldous Huxley

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: 0 byte WAV file problem - many things tried - none worked
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 11:13:56 AM »
Couple options in this thread (which, for reference, is linked in the Readme thread at the top of the forum).
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 01:54:53 PM »
I cannot speak for the DR-08, BUT the DR-680 when you run across a zero file size has been a bastard to recover including using some higher end software.  You might try some DOS commands on the file, wish I had an answer, good luck

Offline bobstammers

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 02:31:16 PM »
I had the same issue a few years ago with a rockboxed iriver when my battery died part way through a gig. I eventually sorted it out by using audiohack (see link in the hyperlinked thread above)

Good luck.
Mics        : Naiant AKG CK63 Actives, DPA 4061, SP-CMC-25, CA11c, CA11 IIo,CA14c, CA14o, CAFS, AT933 (4.7k)
Pre         : Tinybox, PIPSqueak, CA9100, Ugly II pre, CA Ugly II 3 wire pre
Batt Box : MM-CBM-Mini
Decks     : H340 rockboxed, R09HR, M10 x 2

Offline LikeASong

• Taperssection Member
    • U2start.com
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 05:17:34 PM »
Couple options in this thread (which, for reference, is linked in the Readme thread at the top of the forum).

Thank you Brian, I knew the issue had been discussed some times in the forum but I couldn't honestly find any suitable thread - I guess I should have read the reference readme's too. Sorry and thanks again, gonna try some of them.
-U2

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
-Aldous Huxley

Offline LikeASong

• Taperssection Member
    • U2start.com
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 06:00:28 PM »

Thank you Brian, I knew the issue had been discussed some times in the forum but I couldn't honestly find any suitable thread - I guess I should have read the reference readme's too. Sorry and thanks again, gonna try some of them.

I have done the chkdsk thing and it's recovered a 573 MB file that's 57 minutes long, although I clearly remember the 2nd file clocking at 1 hour and 13 minutes when I stopped the recording (and subsequently the recorded gave the error message). 57 minutes is obviously better than 0, but also quite worse than 1h13m... Same error as reported here:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=53521.msg732954#msg732954

Now that I have opened the repaired file I am missing about half of it. I am certain the unit was recording through the encore, but the track just ends midway through the main set.

I guess that's better than losing all of it. I've learned my lesson...don't unplug the power cable. Kind of a bummer, but I guess it's to be expected with a new piece of equipment.

Any thoughts on it? I'm happy with what I've saved so far and THANKS again for those who knew the workaround and Brian for pointing me in the right direction, but if I can save it all then I'll be happier than happy ;D
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 06:06:51 PM by LikeASong »
-U2

-Aldous Huxley

Offline LikeASong

• Taperssection Member
    • U2start.com
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 06:50:37 AM »
^ Maybe? Thanks ;)
-U2

-Aldous Huxley

Offline Andrea82

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • The 1st and only italian site about Eric Clapton
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 07:11:57 AM »
^ Maybe? Thanks ;)

I solved in this way:

1. run chkdsk :[drive letter] /f on the card
2. search for the .chk file that was created on your hard drive (maybe it is hidden by the windows machine, i used a knoppix boot disk to make it viewable) and rename that .chk to .wav
3. use "audiohack"; audiohack /N [file.wav]
4. import the created .raw file to an audio editor (use raw import, not open), like import raw in audacity, usually the machine records "little endian", and choose sample frequency and bit depth you did in the recording
5. now you`ve got the file back (or most of the file until the moment the machine crashed), and go on like normal (mastering if neccessary, then export to Wave, Flac etc ...)

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 12:57:30 PM »
^ Maybe? Thanks ;)

I solved in this way:

2. search for the .chk file that was created on your hard drive (maybe it is hidden by the windows machine, i used a knoppix boot disk to make it viewable) and rename that .chk to .wav
4. import the created .raw file to an audio editor (use raw import, not open), like import raw in audacity, usually the machine records "little endian", and choose sample frequency and bit depth you did in the recording
5. now you`ve got the file back (or most of the file until the moment the machine crashed), and go on like normal (mastering if neccessary, then export to Wave, Flac etc ...)

OP... please let us know if this works for you.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline LikeASong

• Taperssection Member
    • U2start.com
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 02:28:12 PM »
^ Maybe? Thanks ;)

I solved in this way:

No way, that's all I did a few weeks back but the recovered CHK file weighs just as much as the WAV that results after converting it. It's like the recovered file missed half of what was recorded.

I've given up and just have a 60 or 70% of the total show, which is much more than I had when I came back home with the broken files anyway. Thank you everyone once again :)
-U2

-Aldous Huxley

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 02:37:16 PM »
Read through this thread regarding the Homegrown Wave Header Repair by pigiron. It has worked for me and others in the past. At the end of the thread there are some more alternatives to pigirons' repair program that may also work.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=72936.msg976154#msg976154

Good luck
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com