Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Creative way to get ORTF every time?  (Read 8421 times)

Offline StarkRavingCalm

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Creative way to get ORTF every time?
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2014, 03:11:59 PM »
No problem. I should probably stop calling them side-address and start calling them vertical mics.
Here is the mic here:

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2014, 03:46:36 PM »
I have a pair of AT2020s with collar mounts, and I can see where that kind of mount would be more of a challenge to set repetitively.  What I like about the shock mounts is I squeeze two arms to take the mic out of the mount.  Much faster than screwing those collar mounts onto the mic stand and then on the mics.  Shock mounts might be helpful.   

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2014, 09:11:51 PM »
By definition ORTF requires small-diaphragm, single-diaphragm, non-side-addressed condenser microphones that have very flat on-axis frequency response. The 110° included angle and 17 cm spacing aren't magic; what counts is how they combine with the behavior of the type of microphone for which this technique was designed.

Your setup will have distinctly different characteristics because of the type of microphones you're using: less-even distribution of apparent sound sources across the stereo field, reduced spaciousness, and a greater high-frequency roll-off of the reflected sound as compared with the direct sound pickup. Actually, I tend to like that third part myself, but I'm just saying ... if you're only using the specified angle and spacing but not the intended type of microphone, it's not ORTF, any more than it would be if you used the right kind of microphones but not the specified angle and spacing.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline StarkRavingCalm

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2014, 10:11:03 AM »
Thanks for the explanation DSatz.

I have enjoyed the recordings I have made with these mics in a pseudo-ORTF configuration.
But maybe there is a more 'optimal' configuration for these types of mics?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com