Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Clipping?  (Read 2095 times)

Offline MasterOfPuppets

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Clipping?
« on: March 19, 2014, 04:43:51 PM »
Is this audio clipped? Audacity doesn't show any clipping, but there seems to be some sort of distortion... Is there any way to fix this in post? It seems to be only on the vocals, but it may be in small amounts in other places. (Part is somewhat loud, caution to people to have headphones on high).
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 05:46:09 PM by MasterOfPuppets »

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Clipping?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 05:15:40 PM »
based purely on your description I'd ask the following question:

Were the vocals the loudest thing?

If yes, then it could be that the vocals distorted the input of your preamp/recorder. You'll find more often on cheaper recorders that there are settings which allow the recorder to have an overloaded input and have a lower signal than would clip the ADC (which is why you don't see anything clipping digitally).

If no, then it's likely an over-driven signal chain at the show (an input was too hot, the soundguy pushed the speakers too hard, bad mic, etc).

You won't be able to fix either of these, but one of them is preventable.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline MasterOfPuppets

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 05:20:03 PM »
The vocals probably were the loudest in parts, there may be a little distortion on the keys as well, but it's very minor in comparison if it is.

I've gotten similar results with the same mic (Tascam iM2) at another show with about the same seats, but a different venue/band. Since the only options on the mic are level (which wasn't at max) and the limiter, would the limiter be of any help in the future?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 05:22:12 PM by MasterOfPuppets »

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 05:42:36 PM »
I've gotten similar results with the same mic (Tascam iM2) at another show with about the same seats, but a different venue/band.

The tascam mic may be what's overloading. I'm not familiar with it or the specs.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline MasterOfPuppets

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 05:46:59 PM »
The tascam mic may be what's overloading. I'm not familiar with it or the specs.

Thanks for the help!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com