Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: KC5 or KCY ?  (Read 4431 times)

Offline Cobiwan

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Member
KC5 or KCY ?
« on: April 04, 2014, 02:44:05 AM »
This info may have been covered before, but after searching for answers, i've found little to to inspire me on which direction to go.
What is a better choice-both economically and performance wise; a pair of KC5s or a KCY?
Here is what I'm dreaming: I'd like to get 2 rigs that run at the same time. My current rig is listed below.
I can run caps/bodies>apogee>P2 but wondered if KC5s to bodies is best first step towards actives; or shoiuld I go KCY>5 pin binder adapter to mini xlr/pfa (or whatever) since I plan on getting a Tiny box soon?
Thanks-trying to make this happen as low cost as possible.
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
2 matched pairs of Oktava MK-012 MSP6 with Bill Sitler mod + cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and omni capsules
Church Audio CA-14 omni/UBB
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Tascam HD-P2, Tascam DR-680, Zoom F-8
Cables:
Gakables XLR, S/PDIF, battery and umbrella, DigiGal AES > S/PDIF, Darktrain hot swap battery

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: KC5 or KCY ?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 08:56:24 AM »
You already have CMC6's, so the KC5 is the natural path. It is also the best performing active solution, providing the closest sound to capsules on CMC6's.

The KC5 is more versatile. I would get mini-XLR's put on a KC5 cable, optionally with a lighter weight cable. That will give you the best versatility, and will do everything you describe, with the best possible performance. You can then plug in to PFA's, or to a tinybox.

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 10:41:02 AM »
^^ That's a good plan. That was probably recommended to me but went over my head a bit at the time.

here is what I did as my first foray into Schoeps mics and I'm still relatively new overall so I also didn't have much gear on hand to reuse.

I bought a pair of MK5's and then picked up a KCY that happened to be in YS at the time. KC5's were recommended and they will give you more ability to do wide spreads than the KCY i got, but that wasn't readily available to me at the time and I was ready jump in. I did some research but needed to get some gear in my hands to really visualize how it all works together.

I ordered a kcy/p48 tinybox and once it was all in my hands had an excellent, small, Schoeps rig that I'm very happy with. It can run for upwards of 20 hours on a single charge. I also didn't have to have any gear modified which may not be a big deal for you but as a newbie I didn't  quite understand what to look or ask for and found it a bit daunting. My route was simple and I wanted a second preamp anyway.

I'd like to get a pair of KC5's now to run a second schoeps rig (also need caps of course :) )as well but I don't have any regrets about the path I went. I got a PFA as well so I can run off a P48 supply but haven't used that too much. I probably will more now that I picked up a USB Pre2 tho. I like having lots of options.

In my experience, MK5's > KCY > kcy tinybox > M10 has proven to be a very solid, simple and great sounding rig.

It might just come down to what you can find and the $$ you want to spend when you're ready to pull the trigger.
Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 10:48:14 AM »
This info may have been covered before, but after searching for answers, i've found little to to inspire me on which direction to go.
What is a better choice-both economically and performance wise; a pair of KC5s or a KCY?
Here is what I'm dreaming: I'd like to get 2 rigs that run at the same time. My current rig is listed below.
I can run caps/bodies>apogee>P2 but wondered if KC5s to bodies is best first step towards actives; or shoiuld I go KCY>5 pin binder adapter to mini xlr/pfa (or whatever) since I plan on getting a Tiny box soon?
Thanks-trying to make this happen as low cost as possible.

Would you plan on running one rig as Schoeps MK capsules>cmc6 bodies (i.e. no actives?) -- if so, using new prices, buying the followingbob actives and a tiny box would seem to be the least expensive way to get to where you want to go.

New, KC5 cables run $1,014 a pair (see http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=386428&gclid=CI3BhpGGx70CFclDMgod6xMAKg&Q=&is=REG&A=details)

Similarly, a new KCY cable (which will interface with a stereo pair of schoeps caps) runs $861 (see http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=963147&gclid=CIeEz7KGx70CFYFhMgod5TsANg&Q=&is=REG&A=details)

It appears that the followingbob active cables only run around $450 for a built-out 6' long stereo pair (contact schoepsnbox for details on the pricing for the cable length you want)

Add $269 (ish) for the tiny box, and you have the following options:

1) KC5 > cmc6 ($1,014) -- gets you running actives with your existing bodies, would need to then add the tinybox and cable work to have kc5 work with the tiny box (Figure $1,400 total)

2) KCy>tinybox ($861+269=$1,130) -- gets you running actives without your bodies, leaving your bodies available for your second set of caps (total price $1,130ish) -- cheaper than total cost of KC5+tinybox setup but more expensive than kc5 alone

3) followingbob>tinybox ($450+269+?? for longer cables=$~750ish) -- cheapest way to get you running actives without your bodies, leaving your bodies available for your second set of caps -- cheaper up-front cost than a new pair of kc5 cables alone

All of the above options presume you're buying new -- I was able to pick up my used kc5 cables for $550 a pair and I've seen used KCy going for a similar price.

While I'd expect a Mk? capsule connected directly to a cmc6 body to sound "better" than any of the various active options, the sound differences between the various active setups described above should be QUITE minimal, especially in the live taping environment -- all will clearly display the "signature" schoeps sound.

Hope the above helps

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 11:14:15 AM »
A pair of Kc5 cables used can sell for any where between $400-650

You can run KCY > AKI > cmc6 - you just need the AKI (which I make for $350 for a cheaper version or $600 for a clone)

Schoeps KCY Cables run for $500 - 650 used but do not come up often and are in very high demand around here

I have built a few KCY clones as well but don't have any parts at present and can't source them for an affordable price

I can also convert a kc5 pair into a KCY > AKI Setup for $300

I prefer the KCY > AKI setup myself - easier/faster to setup - more flexibility KCY > (KSXi extensions, tinybox, VMS, VST, AKI, Lemosax, etc)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 11:22:18 AM by H₂O »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 12:42:20 PM »
It is worth mentioning that the capsule ends of the KCY and KC5 are identical.  So a KCY can become a KC5. And if it is being changed to thinner cable, it is a no effort thing.

I have never been a fan of combining two channels under one shield/cable.

The genuine Schoeps parts for the capsule end of the KCY/KC5 were $317 per channel, last time I checked.

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 05:11:21 AM »

##info##
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2017, 09:55:00 PM »
I've got a KCY available in the yard sale....
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com