Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Windscreens on portable recorders' internal mics.  (Read 1988 times)

Offline panagogt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Windscreens on portable recorders' internal mics.
« on: April 09, 2014, 03:19:19 AM »
Hello everybody,

I just bought a new Sony PCM-M10, but I haven't ordered a windscreen for it, as I do not know much about when it is necessary and when it is not.

So, I am never going to record something outdoors, my only intention is to record solo classical guitar in my practice room and stage as well, always indoors. For now, I will be using the internal mics only. Under these conditions, how necessary is it to record with a windscreen attached to the mics?

In the case that it is not that necessary, would the results, with a windscreen, be better than without it anyway?

Does the windscreen result in a lower quality sound, in lower volume, just with less noise?

Also, I 've seen a couple of windscreens that are meant to be used on the M10. Would they be better for me or it is just a size matter and any windscreen can do the job? How to decide which one to pick-up?

Finally, do homemade windscreens work good? How can I make one, in this case? Can you give me some advice or even some nice links for the procedure?

I hope I don't fed you up with questions, any help is going to be very much appreciated!
Thank you in advance!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 02:44:05 AM by panagogt »

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
Re: Windscreens on portable recorders' internal mics.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 04:16:50 AM »
If you are recording indoors you will, most probably, not need a windshield (unless there is a lot of air movement due to an aircon.).

A windshield will affect the sound, often making it a little muffled and affecting the top end.

A home-made one will be the worst.

There is a lot of science in the design and the best ones are the Rycote Windjammers - Rycote understand the science and their designs affect the high end less than the others.  The type, size, length and fixing of the hairs are all important factors and affect the sound.

But, as I said, for indoor use only, you will likely not need one.

Offline panagogt

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 12:12:35 PM »
Thank you! I understand clearly. I am not going to buy any windshield.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 09:57:50 PM »
Buy mics.   ;D

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Southern Shelter

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com