Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best choice for portable recorder - R-09HR screen dying  (Read 9231 times)

Offline scoper

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Best choice for portable recorder - R-09HR screen dying
« on: April 28, 2014, 02:45:36 PM »
I will soon need a replacement for my trusty Edirol R-09HR... blocks (not just pixels) of screen are out, making recording a challenge.

Is the Sony M-10 still the recorder of choice for lowpro taping? I've used it before (borrowed from a friend) and have always loved it, but if there's something later and greater in the same price range I'd like to know what to research.

Thanks!
AT853U cardioid (low sens mod)| Countryman B3 Omni (low sens mod) > CA-UGLY II > Sony PCM-M10

Former: Sony MiniDisc/JB3/MicroTrack/R-09HR

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Best choice for portable recorder - R-09HR screen dying
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 03:06:30 PM »
The Sony M10 is still the choice of a lot of folks around here.  Some people run two of them for different setups -- that's how well respected it is.  The Roland R-05 is also a strong contender as well (albeit not as popular). 

Doubt Sony is replacing the M10 anytime soon, either.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 07:30:44 PM »
Adrian is right--sony m10 is still well respected around here even after the 3-4 years it's been out.

Are you looking for something more than the 09HR offered?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline scoper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 07:44:54 PM »
Adrian is right--sony m10 is still well respected around here even after the 3-4 years it's been out.

Are you looking for something more than the 09HR offered?

Well, IF I could find something in the general price range that could deal with 2 Line inputs (or even 1 mic and 1 line-in) and still be in the form factor of the M10/R5 I'd certainly think about it. But I was very happy with the R-09HR while it lasted.
AT853U cardioid (low sens mod)| Countryman B3 Omni (low sens mod) > CA-UGLY II > Sony PCM-M10

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 12:47:01 PM »
Tascam DR-2D

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 02:07:12 PM »
Tascam DR-2D

This is the recorder to grab if you're interested in two microphone inputs (1/8-inch) in a small form-factor.  The problem is that Tascam has discontinued it so it's becoming a little harder to find.

If you were very happy with the R-09HR, the Roland R-05 is the most similar to it overall: size, design, controls, etc.  It's on pretty equal footing with the Sony M10 that everyone likes so much.  The biggest disadvantage I found with the M10 (and which I've heard anecdotes from a few people on) is that the gain wheel on the side does not lock and there's a possibility it can inadvertently move.  Likely not an issue if you tape openly, but if you stealth there's a risk of moving that gain adjustment while placing the recorder in, or when removing it from, your pocket.  Also, I know some people are not terribly fond of the microSD storage cards that it uses instead of full-size SD cards.  YMMV on both counts.  Where the Sony really shines is the ridiculously long battery life; it's in a class by itself there. 

Offline scoper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 02:12:53 PM »
I'm leaning towards the Sony, mostly because it's been out five years now and I've seen very few reports of problems. I won't go Edirol again because of the screen issues I'm now having. As for the Tascam, the Sony has a better rep overall and although the dual-input thing would be nice, I really don't see many times I would use it.

Anyone know why I SHOULDN'T buy the Sony?

ilduclo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 02:57:30 PM »
I had my Sony d50 go out after a year of light use, and their product service people were not the most friendly.....

Offline yates7592

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 02:58:35 PM »
Not really. If you dont need 4 channels then either of the R05 or the M10 is a better recorder. As to which one; well I've used both and I prefer the M10. It takes a hotter signal and is easier/more intuitive to use with a better screen display and longer battery life . The gain wheel on the M10 is actually pretty stiff so unless you put it in tight pockets its not gonna move.

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 03:36:36 PM »
The biggest disadvantage I found with the M10 (and which I've heard anecdotes from a few people on) is that the gain wheel on the side does not lock and there's a possibility it can inadvertently move.  Likely not an issue if you tape openly, but if you stealth there's a risk of moving that gain adjustment while placing the recorder in, or when removing it from, your pocket.

I think the gain wheel spins way too easily, which is why I prefer the R-05, or the DR-2D (which seems like a no-brainer if you want the option of 4 tracks).
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

Offline yltfan

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 03:41:16 PM »
And looky here--a DR-2d for $130
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=167708.0;topicseen
Save $100, get 4 channels, and no self-adjusting gain wheel.
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod

Offline scoper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 03:49:31 PM »
I'm looking for long term reliability.. I want this to be my last purchase.

Microtrack (original)... 3 years, battery and input plugs needed replacement
R-09HR - 5 years, screen becoming unreadable

I don't want to spent another couple hundred bucks in five years again. Although at my age, how much longer will I be in this hobby?

Offline yates7592

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2014, 04:22:21 PM »
I'm looking for long term reliability.. I want this to be my last purchase.

Microtrack (original)... 3 years, battery and input plugs needed replacement
R-09HR - 5 years, screen becoming unreadable

I don't want to spent another couple hundred bucks in five years again. Although at my age, how much longer will I be in this hobby?

I think you'll be very lucky if you haven't spent another $200 within the next 5 years : ;D

Offline yltfan

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2014, 04:24:34 PM »
I think the only way to really guarantee that your deck will last for a very long time is to spend a bunch more money on something built like a tank: R-44, Sound Devices...

I can't see why you wouldn't jump on that used DR-2D. Great price, well-tested around here, pretty similar to the R-09, but with 4 channels.

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2014, 04:42:55 PM »

I think the gain wheel spins way too easily, which is why I prefer the R-05, or the DR-2D (which seems like a no-brainer if you want the option of 4 tracks).

I was worried about tales of spinny gain wheels before buying my M10, but I haven't had any problems with it. I think I'd be as likely to accidentally shut the lock switch off as to move the gain wheel — it takes about the same amount of pressure.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.129 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com