Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What is your ideal bag? Either already in existence or one you've made up.  (Read 7326 times)

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
Curious what people's opinions are.  Wondering what people's favorite features are on the bags they use, or would like to use.  Have the opportunity to possibly commission a custom bag from a lady in town, and thinking about options.

Pocket placement...carry options...dimensions...shelves....ventilation (my stupid 680 doesn't like getting too hot)...anything that people like about different bags.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
I'm a big fan of the Sonicase bags...  I like how there is a velcro access flap on both sides and bottom...  Also, like the window flap on top...

I wish it had metal hardware instead of plastic, ie the should strap etc.

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline achalsey

Thats what I use now actually.  I'm thinking of using that general design and adding/subtracting a few features here and there.

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
love my nova 5 but wish I could afford a petrol pegz.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
I love the Petrol bags, it's just unfortunate that they offer a small, large & XL with no choice of something in a medium size. Otherwise I like the sonicase. The Lowepro bags are nice too but don't offer shelves for our purpose, i use anti static foam as a divider in mine. Good idea on the custom bag solution, for years my wife accused me of being goldilocks with bags, there's never been the perfect bag for me.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
As soon as you add one more gizmo, the once perfect bag is no longer perfect.  I carry a camera bag and an audio bag....

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
The perfect bag is mostly a function of what you're taking to the gig, and that can change from gig to gig for me.  But in general, I have several answers...for an overall high quality bag for what we do, I can't image anything satisfying me more than the Petrol PEGZ I had.  For versatility, I actually picked up a $40 tool bag from Home Depot that I like as well as anything.  It's big and has a million tool pockets to stash everything into, which helps to keep stuff from rattling around and scraping up your gear. 

The strap is usually overlooked...the portabrace bags have the best strap in the business, AFAIC.  I HATE a bag that has a strap that won't grip my shoulder because then I'm constantly fighting with it walking in and out of the show...and festy people know that walk can be LOOONG sometimes so it can be a real PITA if the bag is slipping off your shoulder every 10 yards.   

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
I have a portabrace strap on my nova 5.  WAY better than the nova 5 one.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
The ability to reposition dividers in a bag via velcro straps is very helpful.  thinking more about this, one doesn't even have to have a sewing machine to make dividers.  A little bit of the right divider material, velcro, and some fabric glue to make up a divider will work.

Offline achalsey

The perfect bag is mostly a function of what you're taking to the gig, and that can change from gig to gig for me.   

As soon as you add one more gizmo, the once perfect bag is no longer perfect.  I carry a camera bag and an audio bag....

Both good points.  I personally use a Nova 3 for 2 channel shows or where space might be limited, but use the 4 shelf SoniCase as my 'everyday' bag.  I'm pretty limited in gear (one recorder, one preamp) so my set up is generally the same for every show.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
I like the Kata Sundo and can't imagine something being much better, though those Petrol bags are great it seems if you run an SD deck.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
I have a different approach so will throw that out for thought. 

My favorite bags have wheels...  I've defaulted to backpacks (primarily the ones with wheels), though I do have one without for the lightweight go anywhere setup.  Wheels eliminate the carrying and the strap issue and as far as straps I've always liked the backpack mode rather than single strap over the shoulder for anything (not just gear). 

Within those I use smaller bags for the components (a cable and accessory bag), a tiny bag for the M-10 and immediate accessories (batts, adapters, cards), bags/cases for the mics.  I don't use a giant preamp or recorder and don't do mud fests (anymore) so it is easier on that front, but I often bring video (all of which is in another small bag) and photo stuff too.  I have a Swarovski binocular case (very hard shell - aluminum) for the R-44 and a DVD battery or two.  The bags/cases basically fit together within the backpacks (which is easier with lots of smaller stuff than really large components). 

With the light rig packed tight I can bring audio, video, a collapsible stand (everything I need) in one small backpack.  I've really come to like the folding stand in the backpack as a solution to the urban schlep/crowded subway travel. 

Essentially everything with all rigs can go as one medium rolling backpack with the small backpack on my back.  The rub there are the stands/tripods which I carry together in one of those big Ikea shopping bags (along with some electrical extension cords).  I can still carry all of that anywhere as a single trip (though the stands become burdensome on long distances).  I think I need a little better solution for the stands (probably some other sort of wheeled thing that will work for those).  One of those bag lady shopping carts might hold everything.  For the fest I have one of those folding red fabric wagons which also accommodates some folding seats and cooler. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
In re-mic stand.  I like the lightweight version that's about 3 feet long folded up that fits nicely over my shoulder like a baseball bat.  Any shorter and it doesn't look intimidating enough because I make sure when I'm walking alone back to my car at 2am on the dark streets of Pittsburgh (with $5k to $7K worth of gear) that my stand is VERY plain to see so that it's clear to anyone that their brains will spill from my swinging stand if they try anything funny.

EDIT TO ADD:  It doesn't hurt that I'm 6'3" 300 pounds and that Pittsburgh is a fairly safe city, as far as big cities go.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 02:24:42 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
Yeah the stand thing has advantages... though none that the usual "stand your ground" accessory doesn't eliminate... 

I've gone to this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/917559-REG/sirui_bsrt025x_t_025x_carbon_fiber_tripod.html (with a thread adapter) since I don't need the height at stage lip (or even further back in a seated club) and folding down to less than 12" means it goes in the backpack perfectly without even taking up much room.  It used to cost quite a bit less than it seems to be now. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
Some folks use one of those rolling things you carry a golf bag in to haul mic stands, but I think they are hauling several at once.   

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com